Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• @eric_plant said:
    I thought Lloyd for them looked like a very tidy player as well.

Seemed to me that anything good they did came through him

It wasn't a particularly high bar to reach, but he was their best player going forward by some distance.

Their keeper will probably be disappointed letting in the first from GMac at the near post- but it was a great strike, other than that he was their MOTM. Relegation candidates for sure on that showing

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Idk if anyone's already mentioned, but I hope we never take the ball into the corner like that when 2+ goals ahead in stoppage time again (unless conceding a goal would knock us out of the autos on GD on the final day or something). Hopefully it was just a case of overcoming a psychological hurdle after conceding the previous three times we were 2-0 up. Fans were right to boo.

Also, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that David Stockdale's distribution is as good as most in the Champ - and quite possibly some in the PL. Absolutely outstanding yet again on Saturday.

Agree. I though it was unnecessary and the potential reward of improving our GD was surely greater than the tiny downside risk of us conceding two stoppage time goals against a very average Gillingham team.

• I have to disagree regarding taking the ball into the corner. The players don’t know how much time is remaining as they are concentrating on the game and it only takes a few seconds to lose possession and potentially concede a goal. For me it was absolutely the right thing to do and booing was a strange response.

• I thought Kyle Dempsey was Gillingham's brightest spark. Think he won the penalty and was bright and energetic throughout. They should finish around lower midtable - perhaps 15-18th.

Stockdale's kicking out of his hands is sensational isn't it? Seems to always find its exact target.

• edited October 2021

@glasshalffull said:
    I have to disagree regarding taking the ball into the corner. The players don’t know how much time is remaining as they are concentrating on the game and it only takes a few seconds to lose possession and potentially concede a goal. For me it was absolutely the right thing to do and booing was a strange response.

That would be understandable if we were underdogs hanging on for dear life, but we weren't. We've had opportunities to turn all of our 2-0 leads at home into bigger wins and we've not done it - and this time we couldn't have the excuse that the opposition improved and came back at us (save for that short spell in the fist half when they got the pen).

• To be fair we didn't go straight to the corner, we tried to attack, then it sort of broke down with no options, and Obita then went to the corner rather than play a hopeful ball into the middle

• edited October 2021

@Username said:
    To be fair we didn't go straight to the corner, we tried to attack, then it sort of broke down with no options, and Obita then went to the corner rather than play a hopeful ball into the middle

We've seen it enough before to know that we were always going to go to the corner. At least give it to Bayo and let him sit on it if we must do it at 2-0.

• We can't completely eradicate shithousery.

• It really didn’t bother me at all. We were comfortably managing the game and a 2-0 home result was good, especially after our defensive blip against Morecambe.

• @mooneyman said:
    We can't completely eradicate shithousery.

Scowen's performance before the penalty in that regard was perhaps the greatest I've ever seen.

• Scowen fooled me, I genuinely thought he had hurt himself. Top shithousing

• The stretcher was ready to go. ?

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    The stretcher was ready to go. ?

Quite. It was the supporting cast that sold it.

• A clean sheet is just as valuable as a third goal and if we win all our remaining home games with a 2-0 score line I will be absolutely delighted.

• @glasshalffull, if we win all our remaining home games 2-0, I will buy you an expensive burger from inside the ground. ?

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @glasshalffull, if we win all our remaining home games 2-0, I will buy you an expensive burger from inside the ground. ?

And I will buy you several pints of Rebellion to wash it down!

• edited October 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Who's Orbita?

• With regards to Vokes half time last week is pretty much the pin point moment in his Wycombe career (to date) where things changed. At half time last week I was doubting why we signed him, he was ineffective, his body language was wrong, he was missing headers that a player of his calibre should be making against what to him should be inferior players. And then we put a left back up top with him, and subsequently Hanlon and it all clicks. He produces, he creates, he holds, he influences. You talk about fine margins and this one is literally having a player just a little closer to him and the man shines. Delighted for him as once again he comes from the 'had a crappy time recently' school of signings we seem to make every summer.

• I think Vokes has been outstanding all season, never shared any of the reservations others seemed to have

• edited October 2021

@53cheese said:
    I think Vokes has been outstanding all season, never shared any of the reservations others seemed to have

He has been. One of the several we've got who are far too good for the level.

• This is definitely the best team and squad I can remember us having, that goes back to around 97/98.

So many options, a good mix of old and young with a few absolute club legends.

• Vokes is excellent a great signing!!!

• I thought it was quite a light-hearted moment at the end of the game.

Gaz certainly seemed to think so with his comments to Phil on this week's excellent as always Ringing the Blues podcast

• edited October 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Who's Orbita?

Mates with Voakes, Kasket and Samuels.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Who's Orbita?

Mates with Voakes, Kasket and Samuels.

At least it's a ready-made nickname for if he starts ballooning shots into row Z

• edited October 2021

Stockdale and Gaz both mentioned it, and were amused/surprised by the booing. Gaz reinforced that what Obita was trying to do was the professional way to close out the game, and therefore ok.

I'm in both camps. I've never liked the corner flag tactic, but sometimes it's necessary. I don't think Saturday was strictly necessary, and we were only in that position because we didn't kill them off a lot sooner (and there was 'previous' with Accy and Charlton coming back late on...) Better to have already been 4-0 up and then bring Parsons on for a pressure-free debut, for example, than running into the corner against a team as woeful as Gillingham were.

• Agree with both sentiments @ReturnToSenda I thought that was grim as we were in their half, in complete control and still pushing for a third!

• Personally I was happy for Obita to play the corner flag and was surprised it got a boo from some. I could have gone with a groan but the guy on the ball was part of our defence and had he lost it we could have conceeded. Booing was way over the top.

Not sure the side or the player deserved a boo. I always remember Paul Lambert telling me Wycombe had a demanding crowd. I really hope we are not getting too arrogant now.

• I didn't actually hear any booing, but pretty much everyone around me groaned loudly, including me. The passage of play just before that had been quite exciting, so it was a natural reaction when that killed the excitement. Don't think I've ever booed my own team, even in the Peter Taylor dark ages.