Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Cup 2122

Comments

• It would be great to travel to some local teams and put a few on their gate, especially with the low amount of friendlies recently. Hopefully, publicise it better too. A rare chance to see our fringe players if you don't go to the Pizza Pan matches

• The talk earlier in this thread of whether we had entered the B&B had me wondering...

Is there any reason we can't just not enter the Papa Johns? What would happen if we phoned up the EFL and said "No thanks, it's shit"?

• The players would miss out on their 12 months of free pizzas though @drcongo!

• @drcongo said:
    The talk earlier in this thread of whether we had entered the B&B had me wondering...

Is there any reason we can't just not enter the Papa Johns? What would happen if we phoned up the EFL and said "No thanks, it's shit"?

Probably this:

• I believe it is compulsory for all EFL clubs to participate, @drcongo . If we didnt we would presumably be subject to league disciplinary processes (and possibly get a points deduction some time in 2024..,).

This trophy still gives us arguably the best chance of a Wembley appearance and silverware as well as giving the squad players a chance of some competitive football. Honestly notwithstanding this seasons excitement I would still take the PJ one over the Carabao one.

• That Mirror front page is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen, and I've done ayahuasca.

• @drcongo said:
    That Mirror front page is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen, and I've done ayahuasca.

Had to google that and the first suggestion under 'People also asked' was 'Can ayahuasca change your life?'.

Well, can it?

• Also, very on-brand from Trevor Brooking that he's the only one who wishes them luck with the campaign.

• If that happened today they'd just enter their U23s in the cup. Which might be worse.

• The big teams pretty much do in the cup these days already.

• @floyd said:
    If that happened today they'd just enter their U23s in the cup. Which might be worse.

@floyd said:
    If that happened today they'd just enter their U23s in the cup. Which might be worse.

Spot on - after all, Liverpool basically did exactly that in the LC a couple of years ago when in the same situation.

• @DevC said:
    The big teams pretty much do in the cup these days already.

They play U23s in their senior team. Which is different. And more or less what we're going to do this evening.

• edited October 2021

I believe I may have covered this subject on one of the Facebook sites a few weeks ago. My understanding from looking at the Berks and Berks website is that entry for all clubs at our level is compulsory. As before I believe we get a bye to the quarter-final stage alongside Reading and Franchise. It therefore follows that I would imagine our participation in the competition will commence after Christmas.

• Berks & Bucks First Round Draw and further confirmation that we are in it this season.

"Also involved this year are the County FA’s three EFL Clubs, Reading FC, Wycombe Wanderers and MK Dons who are all set to enter the competition at the Quarter Final stage."

https://www.berks-bucksfa.com/news/2021/nov/05/senior-cup-draw

Long Crendon away is who I hope we end up playing, away of course, a Step 6 Spartan Division One team, but the Ducks will surely win their tie.

• I know there have been historical boundary changes but seems odd that Wantage, Abingdon, Didcot and Wallingford all still play in the B&B rather than the Oxforshire Equivalent.

• Also, Long Crendon are groundsharing with Oxford City.

• MK Irish away would be another interesting one. The Spartan Premier team are a rebadged Buckingham Town and play at Manor Fields, Bletchley, a ground with two stands, one of which runs the entire length of the pitch.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I know there have been historical boundary changes but seems odd that Wantage, Abingdon, Didcot and Wallingford all still play in the B&B rather than the Oxforshire Equivalent.

In many sports the boundary changes were ignored and clubs remained in allegiance to their historical counties. Slough Cricket and Bowls clubs for example carried on, and continue to play, for Bucks although now in Berks. The North Football league which my grandson played in has as many teams from Oxfordshire as there are from Berks.

• I meant North Berkshire Football league

• Some more First Round matches completed tonight, results so far.

Marlow 2-1 Abingdon United
    Beaconsfield Town 5-1 Slough Town
    Binfield 2-1 MK Irish
    Wantage Town 1-3 Chesham United
    Thatcham Town 3-2 Bracknell Town
    Flackwell Heath 1-1 Sandhurst Town (1-1 after 90 mins, Sandhurst win 4-3 on pens)
    Hungerford Town 3-0 Wallingford Town

Still to play.

Chalfont St Peter v Didcot Town (7 Dec)
    Long Crendon v Aylesbury United (8 Dec)
    Ascot United v Maidenhead United (21 Dec)

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Some more First Round matches completed tonight, results so far.

Marlow 2-1 Abingdon United
    Beaconsfield Town 5-1 Slough Town
    Binfield 2-1 MK Irish
    Wantage Town 1-3 Chesham United
    Thatcham Town 3-2 Bracknell Town
    Flackwell Heath 1-1 Sandhurst Town (1-1 after 90 mins, Sandhurst win 4-3 on pens)
    Hungerford Town 3-0 Wallingford Town

Still to play.

Chalfont St Peter v Didcot Town (7 Dec)
    Long Crendon v Aylesbury United (8 Dec)
    Ascot United v Maidenhead United (21 Dec)

I'm glad Wantage lost because they're Oxfordshire.

• Got to believe Slough didn’t put their first team out?

• Didn’t a Gaz managed Wycombe team lose at Beaconsfield once? Think that is the only time I’ve heard him criticise players (basically for not seizing their chance to shine I recall).

• Yes, we lost on pens after extra time (Junior M missed the last one - he never scored for us). Gaz played and was probably our best player on the night.

• ……in fact it was a strange game all round, Gaz picked Lee Angol at right back, he was pretty good.

• Maybe the lad on loan at Beaconsfield excelled.

• Round 2 draw.

Chesham United v Hungerford Town
    Beaconsfield Town v Sandhurst Town
    Long Crendon or Aylesbury United v Binfield
    Ascot United or Maidenhead United v Thatcham United
    Chalfont St Peter or Didcot Town v Marlow

The five winners of these ties are joined by the three EFL Clubs in the Quarter-Finals, dates TBC. Last season we played Hungerford on 25 February.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@drcongo said:
    The talk earlier in this thread of whether we had entered the B&B had me wondering...

Probably this:

That was the moment the FA Cup died for many - the reason why Man Utd (already loathed by most) fell to the circle of hell only occupied by Milton Keynes 'Dons'.

I was in Sheffield the night they won the European Cup and treble and afterwards the looks of people outside pubs I passed looked like England had just lost the World Cup Final on penalties. After all until those lucky few minutes for the Rags Bayern should have been out of sight they were so dominant. Me and my girlfriend left the pub we were in when there were a few minutes left so we presumed Bayern had it in the bag.

Talking about MK 'Dons' if they ever met Man (BBC) United in an important match my mind will probably short circuit on the impossibility of knowing who I'd want to win.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Last season we played Hungerford on 25 February.

I meant two seasons ago, no competition last season! It really does feel that lockdown robbed us of time.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Round 2 draw.

Chesham United v Hungerford Town
    Beaconsfield Town v Sandhurst Town
    Long Crendon or Aylesbury United v Binfield
    Ascot United or Maidenhead United v Thatcham United
    Chalfont St Peter or Didcot Town v Marlow

The five winners of these ties are joined by the three EFL Clubs in the Quarter-Finals, dates TBC. Last season we played Hungerford on 25 February.

Long Crendon away for me, as it would be a Tomaz Tikov and a chance to visit one or two of those splendid Thatched hostelries.
    I remember taking a peak at Long Crendon ground about 15 years ago, and it was pretty much a park pitch.