Skip to content

Fan Feedback

Comments

• @perfidious_albion said:

@peterparrotface said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    The chippy in Holmer Green doesn't do cards, cash only... and it's the busiest shop in the village and surrounding areas from what I see

I am quite cynical in general, but my immediate reaction to that is 'That's a bit dodgy'.

Why's that?

Because cash might not go through the till, either trousered by staff or non payment of vat by owner.
    Also some small shops (often kebab places or barbers) are fronts for county lines drug outlets.
    Big bad world out there

A milkshake place in flackwell apparently was one such outfit.
    Didn't seem suspicious. Middle aged men in leather jackets with flash bmws outside and only ever similar leather clad middle aged men entering and leaving.

• Maidenhead have on-line programmes.
    https://www.zeeon.co.uk/gamehub/maidenhead-united-v-dagenham-and-redbridge

I don't think having £10 parking was a good idea. The people that use it may benefit but the (predictable) knock-on is it's now £10 to park on the approach to the ground too, and there's certainly no benefit in having to pay double for the many people that do that.

And I miss the 50/50 too.
    And the real ale bar of course.

• Turned up early at the club on Tuesday as is my wont. Went to buy a ticket and at the next window a young lad, maybe 13 or 14 had thoughtfully been supplied by his Mum with a £20 note for the evening's entertainment...

• @Doob said:
    Maidenhead have on-line programmes.

I don't think having £10 parking was a good idea. The people that use it may benefit but the (predictable) knock-on is it's now £10 to park on the approach to the ground too, and there's certainly no benefit in having to pay double for the many people that do that.

It does seem to stop the massive throng of traffic into the ground to a point. Ipswich didn't seem particularly smooth still, but maybe other road problems helped delay that.

But 10 to park down the road is a real joke.
    Assume that's not in all the factories at the bottom of hillbottom just the close bits?

• Funnily enough my daughter and her friend who usually worked in the office worked on a market stall for a bakery and made quite a hefty sum their first Saturday...boss was really pleased seeing as they managed to make double the amount the people who normally did the stall made. Strangely, the people who normally did the stall made sure those two never did it again...

• One question I would ask regarding the programme is, does the club have the staff to write it? I imagine it’s a two day job each week and with staff taking on multiple roles within the club who have time to do it?

• There used to be a bar ( I forget it's name) that was situated between sports direct and the old post office. Rarely was there a soul in there, then it moved round to near where Byrds/ The Kings head was. Again it did nothing to try and attract any punters, but still carried on for a fair while.
    Dubious was an understatement.

• @ChasHarps said:
    There used to be a bar ( I forget it's name) that was situated between sports direct and the old post office. Rarely was there a soul in there, then it moved round to near where Byrds/ The Kings head was. Again it did nothing to try and attract any punters, but still carried on for a fair while.

Butlers opposite the Litten Tree used to be similar.
    Never saw any more than perhaps 10 people in there any time, any week. How they kept going I do now know...well, I guessed, but technically "don't know".

• @floyd said:
    In view of this discussion it’s interesting that Amazon Prime will no longer accept Visa credit cards next year.

Pure dick waving. It’s Visa credit cards issued in the UK only, which in the UK accounts for a minuscule percentage of credit cards as all the major banks here are tied into Mastercard.

• Oh, and I’m sure it’s nothing to do with the fact that Mastercard operate Amazon’s own credit card.

• It was amusing to see the global behemoth who famously pay bugger all tax anywhere crying foul over the cost of merchant services.

• @Malone said:

@perfidious_albion said:

@peterparrotface said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    The chippy in Holmer Green doesn't do cards, cash only... and it's the busiest shop in the village and surrounding areas from what I see

I am quite cynical in general, but my immediate reaction to that is 'That's a bit dodgy'.

Why's that?

Because cash might not go through the till, either trousered by staff or non payment of vat by owner.
    Also some small shops (often kebab places or barbers) are fronts for county lines drug outlets.
    Big bad world out there

A milkshake place in flackwell apparently was one such outfit.
    Didn't seem suspicious. Middle aged men in leather jackets with flash bmws outside and only ever similar leather clad middle aged men entering and leaving.

They did decent milkshakes by all accounts, very popular in the village when they were open . A new Thai street food takeaway has recently opened up there now.

• @Malone said:

@Doob said:
    Maidenhead have on-line programmes.

It does seem to stop the massive throng of traffic into the ground to a point. Ipswich didn't seem particularly smooth still, but maybe other road problems helped delay that.

But 10 to park down the road is a real joke.
    Assume that's not in all the factories at the bottom of hillbottom just the close bits?

5 quid in roofline car park

• @ChasHarps said:
    There used to be a bar ( I forget it's name) that was situated between sports direct and the old post office. Rarely was there a soul in there, then it moved round to near where Byrds/ The Kings head was. Again it did nothing to try and attract any punters, but still carried on for a fair while.

Paradise Bar maybe?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Same, and they have said they might still produce them for special fixtures. We're not the first club to do it and we'll be far from the last.

Who else has ditched the programme? I’ve not been able to find anything from any club?

Hibernian are one big club to do it

So we are the first professional club in England to do it? Something to be proud of.

Not sure if they changed their mind but this suggests our frugal neighbours stopped producing them at the start of the season

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-confirm-reasons-behind-21295720.amp

I have always bought a programme but must admit I spend very little time actually reading it these days.

But do we do an online ‘programme’? If we do, for me losing the printed version is less of an issue.

• You're all focusing on being cashless as the key to the loss of matchday experience. I don't agree. I'm 70 this week and I love the tap and go thing so it's not that for me, it's the endless queues, very high prices, poor quality and the fact that I no longer ever see the folk I used to meet up with for a pint and chinwag. The devastation to the club atmosphere created by by the loss of the Honors Lounge (I know it's there but it's not the same) and the 'Corpretization' (my invented word) of the Woodland has literally removed a whole slice of my football pals from socializing. We all now seem to sit in our cars both before and after the game in splendid isolation. Mind you we save a couple of bob each time! The half time experience is totally flat and without any investment in 50/50 or kids penalties/general fun and involvement (I SO don't agree with the Trust view on this). I love the new wifi, floodlights (we had to have those for the Championship anyway) and the investment into the team. I dislike the lack of hand drying in the toilets and the (according to Mrs ValleyWanderer) the state of the Ladies Toilets. However, mainly, the 'Club' has reduced for me and has been replaced with the feeling of being a customer at a commercial venue or restaurant area of a shopping mall. We've all sold ourselves and our coveted matchday experience to the mighty Dollar! As a Wycombe supporter I will try and adapt but still feel it's a bitter pill and a great shame.

• @ValleyWanderer What is the Trust's view on HT entertainment? Haven't seen.

• @Malone said:

@username123 said:

@peterparrotface said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Why's that?

With Square who I use for part of my income it’s 1.75% they take, £20 upfront and no monthly charge. If I charge someone a fiver, I get £4.91. Personally, if 2x chippies next door were identical, one took card only and one took cash only, I’d be going to the card only one every time as I’d be a lot more confident that my hard earned money is going through the books like an employed persons income is. I won’t even get my hair cut in ‘cash only’ barbers. Hate to break it to some people, but for the convenience and time saving of operating these contactless options, I think you should be asking yourself ‘why does my favourite take away only take cash’.

I assume you insist on only using builders who do the same thing then. No cash reduction / non vat for you.

Yep got it in one ?, and I’d definitely want it backed up with documentation to cover my arse and home insurance if someone is swinging tools about my property thanks.

• @Chris said:
    If my employer said I had to take a 1.75% pay cut I’d be annoyed,

Not quite sure I know what you mean? I sell a product / service at a fixed amount, and with a simple tap I’ve had an invoice and receipt automatically created for my client / customer which is all fully traceable for my books. I save more in my own hourly rate by this means than doing everything manually, counting cash, going to the bank, risk of loss of the cash etc etc than the small %age discussed.

• Roofline had a bold £10 sign last time I passed. Never did establish where the money went.

• Google the ‘urban myth’ of the Bristol Zoo car park attendant.

• What @ValleyWanderer said.

Many positives about what the new owners have brought in, and we probably have to make some allowances for the problems that Covid has, and still does, caused but having trumpeted making the whole matchday experience better for supporters they are, in my view, falling way short of achieving that with little expectation on my part that there is an understanding and/or willingness to do anything about it.

• edited November 2021

@micra said:

Roofline had a bold £10 sign last time I passed. Never did establish where the money went.

I paid £5 in there on Tuesday

• @Chris said:
    If my employer said I had to take a 1.75% pay cut I’d be annoyed,

But what we are discussing is the difference to a business of cash v cashless payment. Unless, as a cash payment business, you stuff all the money under the corporate mattresses you still have banking costs for paying in cheques and notes. Plus cashless is far more secure - no sticky fingers in the till.
    Personally I see the move to cashless as a major advancement.

• I’m saying that although it might seem small, not paying 1.75% is a good enough reason for a business to want to remain cash only, there doesn’t have to be dodgy dealings involved.

They will have to pay cash handling fees and accept all the other physical security risks around cash, but if that ultimately earns them more profit then it’s a reasonable decision.

• And personally I’m all for cashless payments, but offering a cash option makes sure we don’t leave some people behind and exacerbate existing inequalities.

• Back to programmes... ? Bristol City, D**** and Blackburn have also stopped.

• I was informed by someone who had a burger van in the car park last season.
    That the club want 50% on each item sold, and to be paid by card to stop any fiddling.
    So basically to match the same profits that Lousie Lou receives for a jumbo sausage in a roll, you would have to charge £7.00.
    I imagine that's why we've seen the large decline in different vendors in the car park.

• @Chris said:
    And personally I’m all for cashless payments, but offering a cash option makes sure we don’t leave some people behind and exacerbate existing inequalities.

Hi @Chris sounds like we are of exactly the same view tbh. Would be good to have a cash option but having worked in the bars years back at the club, there are a shedload of tills around the club that no longer need to be prepared with suitable floats, monitored and cashed up at the end so I do understand why they’ve gone cashless.

• Wasn't there sone talk of being able to load cash on to cards somewhere, if they could do this in reception or at one of the ticket windows it would help scoop up anyone who is affected