Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• Mmm, fair point, though think/hope that our extra progression will eat into that month. We do have the makings of a decent development squad which could see us progress a long way in the “nobody gives a poo cup”.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't think Taf comes in unless Stewart gets injured / his form goes off a cliff.

Surely Taf is our best defender? And certainly the best player we have in the air by a considerable distance.

• @bookertease said:
    Couple of further observations

Have we shortened the pitch and made it even
    narrower this year. Few more seasons and we’ll be playing on a subbuteo sized pitch…

And we actually came out in time for an actual 3 o’clock kick off (well nearly)

The pitch in the old days was tight to the railings of the old stand. Now it’s about 5 yards in.
    I assumed with our flying wingers we would want width

• Gaz got asked about the pitch dimensions at the Trust Q&A and said we'll probably be keeping it narrow.

• New rules @TheAndyGrahamFanClub the pitch will now be marked out in a V shape. Further up the pitch from Stockdale the wider it is. Halftime sees no change of ends!

• @Malone said:
    @glasshalffull no-one in the FA stand could possibly have thought that music wasn't loud enough!!

I thought it was fine in the FA block Q but maybe a bit quiet at half-time.

• I wonder if it is the illusion created by the huge Stanley players loping around and covering large areas of ground!?

• @arnos_grove said:

@Malone said:
    @glasshalffull no-one in the FA stand could possibly have thought that music wasn't loud enough!!

I thought it was fine in the FA block Q but maybe a bit quiet at half-time.

I was sat with one guy who is used to deafening gigs, and even he thought it was too loud.
    Only one block over from you!

• Tafazolli will definitely be first choice with Stewart when fit. His ability in the air is superior to any other player we have. At attacking set pieces he is going to be a huge threat. I can genuinely see him getting 8-10 goals this season. Stewart is imperious at the moment so he is also first choice.

So, from my perspective, it’s between Grimmer and JJ for that 3rd centre back. I think they are both excellent and incredibly harsh to leave one out, but I think with JJ’s set piece delivery he will start more games. But with his age, he won’t start every game so Jack comes in. And there will be games when we need a more defensive right back - Jason is brilliant marauding down the right but defensively he isn’t as staring as Grimmer, so again there’ll be chances there. And that isn’t thinking injuries and suspensions so those 4 for CB slots will all play plenty of games.

Hopefully Thompson is back soon as he will take a little time to get up to speed as he always does, but he is going to be an absolute colossus in League 1 along with Scowen. And Gape and Pendlebury backing up.

Once Vokes is match fit, and with the options and talent around him (McCleary, Horgan, Kaikai, Kashket, Mehmeti, Wheeler), we are going to be very threatening going forward in open play. McCleary particularly yesterday looked a cut above this level. And Taf and Vokes a threat at set pieces we have a lot of options.

And that’s not even to mention Stockdale who was absolutely imperious yesterday in every way. Commanding, vocal, encouraging, and full of personality. He looked a class above. Could easily be the best keeper we’ve had in the football league if he maintains that form.

We have such a strong side, and if all fit, have 7 players in the bench all of which could easily be in the side (outfield players). I really think we have a chance this season of going up automatically.

The team feels as good (relatively when comparing to the league we’re in) as the League 2 side with Mooney, Tyson, Oakes, Betsy, Senda etc)

• I already felt massively confident about this season, but after reading that piece from @Quarterman even more so!

• @Malone said:
    I was sat with one guy who is used to deafening gigs, and even he thought it was too loud.

I am a bit deaf from years of gig going and general loud music so might not be the best commentator on the subject. That said, I don't mind loudness from quality speakers - it's the tinny tannoy ones that have me wincing.

I did have to ask for the sound to be turned down in a cinema a few weeks ago. It was genuinely painful. And it's the first time I've ever had to do it.

• edited August 2021

I was Block M in the FA, and it was the first time I've ever found volume actually painful.

Edit: Also, I'm a bit deaf too from years working in nightclubs in my younger days.

• edited August 2021

@arnos_grove said:

@Malone said:

I am a bit deaf from years of gig going and general loud music so might not be the best commentator on the subject. That said, I don't mind loudness from quality speakers - it's the tinny tannoy ones that have me wincing.

I did have to ask for the sound to be turned down in a cinema a few weeks ago. It was genuinely painful. And it's the first time I've ever had to do it.

My other mate is deaf in 1 ear and he said he couldn't actually hear it! But I think he meant he couldn't hear it in the other ear as it was too loud too hear!

As long as we don't start playing music after goals...

• I wonder if the row you sit in is a factor i.e. the higher up = louder? I'm in G and find it ok.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    I wonder if the row you sit in is a factor i.e. the higher up = louder? I'm in G and find it ok.

Won't be the row, as I'm not a million miles different to that.
    What block though, and what's your age?

I'd imagine younger people care less about noise!

Although I accept that there are only about 3 posters on here under 40.

• To be honest I was in the ground unusually early (for the obvious, oft-mentioned reason) and had no issues at all with the volume and I think the speaker was pretty much overhead me (FA Stand, Block R, Row E).

But years of abusing my ears with loud, unlistenable music probably means I’m not the best judge of what an appropriate volume level is

• @bookertease said:
    To be honest I was in the ground unusually early (for the obvious, oft-mentioned reason) and had no issues at all with the volume and I think the speaker was pretty much overhead me (FA Stand, Block R, Row E).

But years of abusing my ears with loud, unlistenable music probably means I’m not the best judge of what an appropriate volume level is

I am block R as well and agree there was no issues with volume.

• I'm assuming you both didn't even attempt to talk to anyone while it was going on then?
    As that was pretty difficult.

• @Malone said:
    I'm assuming you both didn't even attempt to talk to anyone while it was going on then?
    As that was pretty difficult.

Attempting conversation was the major issue. Almost impossible

• @Malone said:
    I'm assuming you both didn't even attempt to talk to anyone while it was going on then?

That’s what the pre-match drinking ritual is for. Anyone who knows me will welcome not being able to hear what I’m saying about football actually in the ground. If you think I talk rubbish in here (and I mostly do) its nothing compared to what I drone on about inside the ground….

• @bookertease U2's 'The Electric Co' and The Cure's 'Just Like Heaven' were just two surprising highlights of a cracking playlist from between 2.15ish to 2.45ish, for those with longer than average music memories.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @bookertease U2's 'The Electric Co' and The Cure's 'Just Like Heaven' were just two surprising highlights of a cracking playlist from between 2.15ish to 2.45ish, for those with longer than average music memories.

Great tracks. I did not have a problem with the PA volume because I too have little to say of any import.

• @Malone said:

@ValleyWanderer said:
    I wonder if the row you sit in is a factor i.e. the higher up = louder? I'm in G and find it ok.

Won't be the row, as I'm not a million miles different to that.
    What block though, and what's your age?

I'd imagine younger people care less about noise!

Although I accept that there are only about 3 posters on here under 40.

Ha ha, DOB 25/11/51 and Block Q with no hearing issues unless the missus is talking!

• Was great to see our keeper asking fans to keep the ball..rather than semi-detached south bucks 'fans' calling it a disgrace.

• Ah, that’s just selective hearing and depends whether she is talking to you or about you. One is never heard, the other is never missed!

• edited August 2021

@LX1 said:
    Was great to see our keeper asking fans to keep the ball..rather than semi-detached south bucks 'fans' calling it a disgrace.

I disagree. Love Stocko and he's an amusing and engaging character but I found the keeping of the ball highly embarrassing. It's a game of football.

• @Thicketblue said:
    Ah, that’s just selective hearing and depends whether she is talking to you or about you. One is never heard, the other is never missed!

Perfect aphorism @Thicketblue.

I’m 210938 @ValleyWanderer and, although my gig-going history has been almost exclusively to listen to jazz, I’ve heard enough rock tribute bands whilst ushering at the Swan Theatre to know the kind of sound levels rockers love. I didn’t take up my seat on Saturday until five to three but I was taken aback by the volume and consequent distortion. The announcer was reading out names in the starting lineups but, such was the distortion, he might as well have been talking double Dutch. I agree with @drcongo. The volume was physically painful.

I would have thought the tannoy was audible at the Hour Glass, let alone on the terrace behind the goal, so I was surprised to read posts from Terrace Dwellers saying that it couldn’t be heard there.

@Quarterman - I very much enjoyed your post yesterday about the current squad, especially in relation to the “back three” challenge. One of those headaches that are paradoxically ‘good to have’ ! When fit, JJ has to play. Vastly experienced, current skipper, set-piece maestro and all-round good guy ! Anthony Stewart of course rarely puts a foot wrong and, I think, has become one of the all-time greats over the ten years he has been here. I just hope he will see his career out at Adams Park. Mind you, at 28 he should have at least another five good years.

I was tickled by your inadvertent comment about McCarthy not being as staring as Grimmer. I’d back Jack to outstare Jason any day. I think the discovery that McCarthy was such a brilliant right wingback was one of the many highlights of our last few months in the Championship.

@Malone - good morning, old chap. The only under forties I am aware of, apart from @ReturnToSenda, are @BlueBoy, @Glenactico and possibly, subject to confirmation as we are yet to meet, @SmiroludyBlue.

• You can add me to that list @micra

• @micra said:

@Thicketblue said:
    Ah, that’s just selective hearing and depends whether she is talking to you or about you. One is never heard, the other is never missed!

Perfect aphorism @Thicketblue.

I’m 210938 @ValleyWanderer and, although my gig-going history has been almost exclusively to listen to jazz, I’ve heard enough rock tribute bands whilst ushering at the Swan Theatre to know the kind of sound levels rockers love. I didn’t take up my seat on Saturday until five to three but I was taken aback by the volume and consequent distortion. The announcer was reading out names in the starting lineups but, such was the distortion, he might as well have been talking double Dutch. I agree with @drcongo. The volume was physically painful.

I would have thought the tannoy was audible at the Hour Glass, let alone on the terrace behind the goal, so I was surprised to read posts from Terrace Dwellers saying that it couldn’t be heard there.

@Quarterman - I very much enjoyed your post yesterday about the current squad, especially in relation to the “back three” challenge. One of those headaches that are paradoxically ‘good to have’ ! When fit, JJ has to play. Vastly experienced, current skipper, set-piece maestro and all-round good guy ! Anthony Stewart of course rarely puts a foot wrong and, I think, has become one of the all-time greats over the ten years he has been here. I just hope he will see his career out at Adams Park. Mind you, at 28 he should have at least another five good years.

I was tickled by your inadvertent comment about McCarthy not being as staring as Grimmer. I’d back Jack to outstare Jason any day. I think the discovery that McCarthy was such a brilliant right wingback was one of the many highlights of our last few months in the Championship.

@Malone - good morning, old chap. The only under forties I am aware of, apart from @ReturnToSenda, are @BlueBoy, @Glenactico and possibly, subject to confirmation as we are yet to meet, @SmiroludyBlue.

I believe I'm second youngest!!! Second only to @ReturnToSenda at a mere 36 years!

• Glad to hear it @JohnBoy. The Gasroom could do with an injection of youth. No disrespect to all the Oldies and Ancients (over 40s and over 80s respectively?!).
    The level and breadth of discussion and above all the humour on this forum never fails to amaze me. I rarely look at other clubs’ forums but, when I do, I generally find them less interesting. I suppose, to be fair, that is largely because I’m not particularly interested in what’s going on at other clubs.

I spend far too long on the Gasroom. Ask mrs micra and my optician.