Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• Think Cheltenham have given us 1,000. When I bought mine at 5.45, 100 had been sold.

• Thought we looked really strong and smothered them to start with, racing into a comfy league.
    A few other great chances but it all sort of faded away until they stole a goal and gave us a nervy few mins.

But a really good start against a bogey team. First win in this fixture for 12 years was it?!

Surprised to see the big screens don't show replays of the goals now? Unless that's a new ruling?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@DJWYC14 said:
    I know mccleary was deserved MOM but how good was it to see Stockdale so commanding on all those high crossed balls

SO good. He really is a cut above Allsop.

It's not just that he's a better keeper, it's that he allows the defence to play much better

He's far too good for league 1, as are a few of our players. A very exciting season ahead, I think

• Not quite sure what was going on with our corners today - looked like we were imagining Tafazolli at the back post as it kept sailing over Stewart's head - but I'd expect that to be sorted by the next game.

• @Doob said:
    So two left backs? Can anyone doubt that Ainsworth picks the starting 11 by drawing lots?

Can anyone doubt that your knowledge of football is somewhat lacking?

• Just the performance we needed in the fans first game back. Outsmarted Accy really. Horgan, McCleary and Stewart all look a cut above. Pendlebury looked busy but lacked a touch of composure which I'm sure will come.

Only real niggle in the performance was just a few moments we dropped intensity, allowing Accy to run at us, which ultimately led to their goal.

When Vokes and Horgan (who seems to only hit the target in fairly meaningless games) find their shooting boots, we could be in for some exciting season.

• I’m 53 seconds into John Coleman’s post match. ‘At half time, we went in 2-0 but we were the better team, we had all the play’. Which game was he watching??

• But Alan, I was beginning to see you in a new light after you stuck up for Rebellion IPA!
    But very typical of someone from the media getting carried away after one result. I'll be happy if we stick to a similar starting 11 next week because that's rarely what happened last season which I don't think helped our cause.

• edited August 2021

Our depth is quite incredible really. Still short of another CB and maybe a nippy striker - I know we've got Wakely and De Barr, but they're not going to come straight into the first team fold - but we're especially well-equipped in midfield and for 10s / wide forwards. Will see what the loan market brings in the next few weeks!

• Must admit, it's mad to think who would be left out considering who's missing already, if and when we bring some loans in !

• @Doob said:
    But Alan, I was beginning to see you in a new light after you stuck up for Rebellion IPA!
    But very typical of someone from the media getting carried away after one result. I'll be happy if we stick to a similar starting 11 next week because that's rarely what happened last season which I don't think helped our cause.

I was not getting carried away, I was questioning your knowledge as JJ played as a central defender for the last couple of months last season and Obita has spent most of his career as a wing back so why the nasty jibe at Gaz? Anyway, we won, played well and the Rebellion was excellent.

• The movement out front three showed at times today was outstanding. And that’s with what I thought was a Vokes that wasn’t as sharp as he could be - no critism for him for that mind, that’s purely down to what I expect isn’t many games preseason.

The defence looked solid as well for the most part.

On today’s match squad I would worry a little about the midfield. But with Gape and Thompson presumably injured, we suddenly have a lot of very good options.

• Oh and on the off pitch side of things:

1. Thought the new tannoy was good. But if anything a bit too loud. Struggled to hold a convo with dad before the game without shouting. I also now feel old complaining that it’s too loud.
    2. Cheese burger I had was nice, but not £7odd nice. And the pricing the are charging for things you could buy in a shop prior to the game for a 1/3 of the price will only encourage people to not spend at the club soon enough.
    3. Not enough options for hot food for me.
    4. The weak link in technology is the people that are using it. And in that regard it’s from the clubs side. Two orders of food were accepted and put to preparing quickly. It only went to ready to collect after I went up there and asked what was happening. They had my bits ready, but hadn’t inputted that information into their touch screen to update me. More training for the kiosk lads needed.
  • edited August 2021

Yeah, I won't be spending any more money on food or drink at the ground - unless it's a midweek game in winter and it's just not possible to get through it without something hot to drink! Programme price has come down in proportion to the number of pages, but everything else seems to have gone in the other direction!

• I think I’ll get some shares in ‘Linda’s’ as the queue outside there was pretty long.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I really liked their 'keeper, making his senior debut - Neuer-esque sweeping and only got in trouble the once, when Mehmeti ended up the wrong side of him. Can tell he's a City player.

really? found him really hesitant and did not breed confidence however understand he is still. very young

• Going back to the match, I thought we had a very good first half. McCleary was on fire. Sam Vokes looked a bit ring rusty but to be expected. Josh Scowen is a class above. We played some really lovely stuff.
    I think against the stronger teams we will need some height in that back 5 and Tafazolli will provide that when fit.
    Good day though and 3 good points and my virtual season ticket worked with no issues.

• An outstanding 85 minutes today. Should have been out of scored many more. Many many more. Bayo unlucky. Horgan displaying his usual finishing in real games. A couple of mis cues you would expect 1st game back.

All in all thrilled with how a relegated team with a number of key players missing responded today.

Off the pitch 6/10 with room for improvement for sure - and something that will improve.

• @Gary said:
    I’m 53 seconds into John Coleman’s post match. ‘At half time, we went in 2-0 but we were the better team, we had all the play’. Which game was he watching??

He's got to be on the wind up.
    We were comfortably leading and they looked league 2 with their knock it long from the back approach.

• edited August 2021

Seriously, how good is Anthony Stewart? At this point, if a cyborg was sent from the future to terrorize second and third tier defenses, Stewart would block every shot, steal in to intercept every pass, and smoothly drop a shoulder to glide by until the cyborg was reduced to drowning his sorrows at the local cyborg bar. If there is a level beyond "legend" he is fast reaching it.

Also Garath McLeary looks like he is watching the other players in slow-motion. I loved the unselfishness to try and pick out teammate when on a hattrick with a sight of goal.

Shout outs to Horgan and Stockdale individually also, but of course most of all the team as a unit. Brilliant.

• @TheDancingYak said:
    Oh and on the off pitch side of things:

1. Thought the new tannoy was good. But if anything a bit too loud. Struggled to hold a convo with dad before the game without shouting. I also now feel old complaining that it’s too loud.
    2. Cheese burger I had was nice, but not £7odd nice. And the pricing the are charging for things you could buy in a shop prior to the game for a 1/3 of the price will only encourage people to not spend at the club soon enough.
    4. The weak link in technology is the people that are using it. And in that regard it’s from the clubs side. Two orders of food were accepted and put to preparing quickly. It only went to ready to collect after I went up there and asked what was happening. They had my bits ready, but hadn’t inputted that information into their touch screen to update me. More training for the kiosk lads needed.

Definitely way too loud.

On the tech, does anyone know what the current contactless figure is? Thought it was £45, yet the £47 for a shirt in the club shop went through without needing a pin.

No problem, but surprised me.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, I won't be spending any more money on food or drink at the ground - unless it's a midweek game in winter and it's just not possible to get through it without something hot to drink! Programme price has come down in proportion to the number of pages, but everything else seems to have gone in the other direction!

I forget the old price, was it £3.50?

But that used to have about 60 pages.
    So it's halved, and gone down 50p!

Glad there is still an offering though.

• @Malone said:

@TheDancingYak said:

Definitely way too loud.

On the tech, does anyone know what the current contactless figure is? Thought it was £45, yet the £47 for a shirt in the club shop went through without needing a pin.

I thought it got upped massively cause of Covid.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Going back to the match, I thought we had a very good first half. McCleary was on fire. Sam Vokes looked a bit ring rusty but to be expected. Josh Scowen is a class above. We played some really lovely stuff.
    I think against the stronger teams we will need some height in that back 5 and Tafazolli will provide that when fit.
    Good day though and 3 good points and my virtual season ticket worked with no issues.

We did well to get away without Taf today, as they had 3 bean pole centre backs and Pell in the centre.

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Is it that few pages? Tbh I grabbed it and haven't looked at it since (which I'm sure is exactly what they bank on...). But yeah, it was £3.50 at least until the season before last. I think the few they did last season were a fiver, so it's a massive reduction in that sense...

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@TheDancingYak said:

Definitely way too loud.

I thought it got upped massively cause of Covid.

I had a look on google and it suggests it was due to go up to £100 this year, but in the program it said it's £45.

As a bit of a Luddite, i'm just interested is all. Presume you can't take the chip and pin facility off as such? I now sometimes I have to sign a receipt for petrol etc when there's no pin needed.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Is it that few pages? Tbh I grabbed it and haven't look at it since (which I'm sure is exactly what they bank on...).

Yeah, my pal bought one (love it when he comes ;) ) and from the first feel it felt like friendly/testmonial type fare!

So on seeing 30 pages I was suprised.

"Condensed" I think the club worded it as!

In fairness, if it has most of the pages worth reading, and just cuts out the ads etc, it might not be far off the usual content.

No OWWSA/ upcoming games though.

Though OWWSA with all due respect seems a hard buy into this year.

Have to wear masks, can't ring or email anymore - has to be booked on the previous home game.

• @TheDancingYak The tannoy was waaaay too loud. Hurt my ears in the FA upper, and I’m pretty mutton.

• All these comments of the speakers being too loud... they weren't switched on behind the goal!

• Yeah, they were a little on the loud side, but it must be hard to gauge the levels with a new system. I'm sure it'll be fine after a bit of trial and error.