Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• @glasshalffull said:

@Doob said:
    But Alan, I was beginning to see you in a new light after you stuck up for Rebellion IPA!
    But very typical of someone from the media getting carried away after one result. I'll be happy if we stick to a similar starting 11 next week because that's rarely what happened last season which I don't think helped our cause.

I was not getting carried away, I was questioning your knowledge as JJ played as a central defender for the last couple of months last season and Obita has spent most of his career as a wing back so why the nasty jibe at Gaz? Anyway, we won, played well and the Rebellion was excellent.

I’ll definitely cede to your football knowledge but the cold, fizzy Rebellion IPA that was all I could find was well short of ‘excellent’ (drinkable is the kindest adjective I can think of).

Back to the football, I really liked the look of Obita today. Looked a genuine wing back and seemed to get in all the right positions all game. A few miscues aside an excellent performance from him.

• On the whole ‘match day experience’ stuff, some good, some bad.

Firstly, I personally don’t care about the facilities being especially swish. I quite like crappy old grounds like Kenilworth Rd etc. But if we want to attract casual supporters, families and more women then I suspect these things matter. I was surprised that we haven’t done some basic things like freshening up the loos, for example. If you’re accustomed to football it’s fine and you probably don’t care. But to the uninitiated the gents behind the goal are pretty grotty. Don’t think any work has been done on them since the ground was built. Some fresh paint, new dryers and stuff would go a long way.

Same goes for painting the rails on the terrace, which are faded, and getting rid of the bizarre city skyline wallpaper in the Vere (or whatever it is called now). These are small things but if you want people to feel that something is valuable (and therefore worth paying to visit) then you need to show that it is treated as such.

Some parts of the ground just look a bit shabby, and I’m surprised they haven’t been freshened up given how long there has been to conduct maintenance and the ££ that has clearly been invested elsewhere (e.g in the excellent new floodlights, ad boards and so on).

One big screen (or 4 stitched together?) in the bar showing the lions - good. But none of the others screens showing live sport - bad. It’s a football club, we need to get the 5pm KO on screens all over the place after the game if we want people to stay for a drink.

Parking better. Finally some signage at the end of the road. Well done to the club for taking swift action there.

Cashless system at the bar was good, with one person taking payment and another pulling the beers. Price lists on screen means nobody farting around asking what’s on tap etc - good. Fetch app a pain in the arse, glitchy and I don’t see what problem it solves - bad.

Sound obviously better in the main stand - good. Not working behind the goal - bad.

Moving the ‘village’ seems sensible and opens up space to avoid bottlenecks/increase capacity. But it looks a bit more like just a big tent now - I’m sure it was jazzed up a bit before with some fake turf and stuff. And more seating.

A mixed bag. Certainly some progress but room for improvement as well.

• Second goal is an event better finish than I thought at the time. Excellent strike

• Excellent on the pitch but I do want to have a moan about the Fetch app. I'm hoping Dr Congo uses it soon and reports his findings on here because I think he will have a meltdown.

Among its many failings

• not possible to see the full description of the tea bars in the Frank Adams because too long to fit on screen so had to go and see what number the one nearest to me is

• trying to log on with email address got me nowhere

• trying to log on with Apple ID produced an internal server error

• having to select the size of coffee / tea when we only sell one size of coffee / tea

Eventually I managed to "continue as a guest" and the app did at least allow me to pay using Apple Pay. And the staff at WWFC Kiosk 8 did hit the right button to confirm that my order was ready. But really, if anyone knows who developed it, please let me know their names so I don't employ them by mistake.

• Spot on @Glenactico
    One big screen after match showing rugby that not many seemed interested in. Other screens on endless loops rather than football. Rubbish beer made me vote with feet and left for pub after one rather than stay for normal 3. Several people
    I normally discuss game with (and it was good) didn’t even come into Caledonian at all.

• @MacBlue said:
    Spot on @Glenactico
    One big screen after match showing rugby that not many seemed interested in. Other screens on endless loops rather than football. Rubbish beer made me vote with feet and left for pub after one rather than stay for normal 3. Several people
    I normally discuss game with (and it was good) didn’t even come into Caledonian at all.

What else was there other than Rebellion IPA? I had one before and after. It was OK and £4.50 is reasonable for a pint.

Beer at football is often shite (I had a dreadful Heineken in a paper cup at Wembley for about £7). I suppose because they sell none all week and then have to hammer out several thousand pints in a few hours. But we shouldn’t use that as an excuse.

• You’re right @Glenactico, beer is usually shite at many grounds but we have been spoilt in recent years and while I know we need to put prices up to try to break even, we should have at least one hand pull ale in all the bars. The rebellion ipa on offer is good local keg but it is still keg not cask. I do t mind paying £4.50 a pint at all so long as I want to drink it. I’m not queuing idle keg so will in future be heading to the pub which I really don’t want to do.

• @Gary said:
    I’m 53 seconds into John Coleman’s post match. ‘At half time, we went in 2-0 but we were the better team, we had all the play’. Which game was he watching??

It's nice to get the classic opposition "you know what you're going to get with Wycombe" comment (in reference to timewasting/the dark arts) out of the way with the very first game though, isn't it?

• Just home from the game. Glad I went and was good to catch up with a few mates.

Got the ground early and went in the club shop, £36 for a age 1/2 top. No shorts to go with it. Got the baby it and my partner pointed out you can get the full Everton kits for £40 but I understand they can probably buy in bulk etc. But I'd like to think this is something they'll look at in the future. Have a kit available for a baby for say £20 to £25 and it would be a great present for anyone who has a kid and my get the people into a habit of buying them each season.

Went in the Caledonian and sat on a table for the disabled fans, wasn't aware of this but think it's a good idea and hopefully it takes off and helps with the matchday experience.

The game itself was good. The baby fell asleep as soon as it kicked off but thought Accy started really well and a long ball not being dealt with by a couple of their defenders and we find ourselves one up. Cracking finish for the 2nd and then I thought we'd run away with it.

Half time not quite sure the higher or lower game will take off.

A couple of changes during the second half and I thought we looked like we were just going to see the game out comfortably but them scoring made it a nervy ending but a deserved 3 points In the end.

Went back the Caledonian after the game and the queue was massive but the little bar in the corner was handy once I worked out how to use the barcode and order a drink.

Got some cracking pictures and that rounded off a really good day.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @HolmerBlue said:
    Great first game, deserved win, could've done without a nervy last 5 mins though. No one was bad, well done to all, but special mentions to McCleary, Horgan, Stewart and Stockdale !

Yep, they were the standout players and, as @Morris_Ital says, you can see that Anis Mehmeti is going to give defences a torrid time.

• @PBo said:

@Gary said:
    I’m 53 seconds into John Coleman’s post match. ‘At half time, we went in 2-0 but we were the better team, we had all the play’. Which game was he watching??

It's nice to get the classic opposition "you know what you're going to get with Wycombe" comment (in reference to timewasting/the dark arts) out of the way with the very first game though, isn't it?

Not quite the full house on the ‘vs Wycombe post match interview’ bingo though.

I did enjoy Stocko asking the fans to keep the ball behind the goal with a great big smile on his face. In fact, he played virtually the whole match with a smile - he’s finally enjoying his football again after so many seasons on the sidelines.

He will play such an important role this season, not just between the sticks but as a leader and coach to his team mates. The way he was praising his defence after every tackle, block or header was a joy to behold.

• Anyone else spot Anis’ sublime take down of a very high pass near the end? It was Ronaldinhoesque.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Just home from the game. Glad I went and was good to catch up with a few mates.

Got the ground early and went in the club shop, £36 for a age 1/2 top. No shorts to go with it. Got the baby it and my partner pointed out you can get the full Everton kits for £40 but I understand they can probably buy in bulk etc. But I'd like to think this is something they'll look at in the future. Have a kit available for a baby for say £20 to £25 and it would be a great present for anyone who has a kid and my get the people into a habit of buying them each season.

Went in the Caledonian and sat on a table for the disabled fans, wasn't aware of this but think it's a good idea and hopefully it takes off and helps with the matchday experience.

The game itself was good. The baby fell asleep as soon as it kicked off but thought Accy started really well and a long ball not being dealt with by a couple of their defenders and we find ourselves one up. Cracking finish for the 2nd and then I thought we'd run away with it.

A couple of changes during the second half and I thought we looked like we were just going to see the game out comfortably but them scoring made it a nervy ending but a deserved 3 points In the end.

Went back the Caledonian after the game and the queue was massive but the little bar in the corner was handy once I worked out how to use the barcode and order a drink.

In the old days we used to buy the sons kit when they was mascots for the day.They used to tie it in within the offer..ie 4 adults plus child with new kit for £100.Not sure if they still do that.

• One thing for sure is that Rob and the team will be trawling through spreadsheets over the next couple of days and seeing what worked and what didn’t. One thing they’ve shown is that they are not shy to change if change is necessary.
    Pricing I have sympathy with as we were losing money left right and centre. Value is where I struggle. Five Guys prices better be close to Five Guys quality for a burger. Not even close I’m afraid

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Think Cheltenham have given us 1,000. When I bought mine at 5.45, 100 had been sold.

Thanks, that’s helpful to know. Was the fact they were on sale publicised anywhere? Would have bought mine yesterday if I’d known. Not showing on the ticket website either as far as I can see. Could easily be user error of course…

• I think they announced on the tannoy with a few minutes of the game to go

• Although would expect to be put on the big screen perhaps

• @Glenactico said:
    On the whole ‘match day experience’ stuff, some good, some bad.

Firstly, I personally don’t care about the facilities being especially swish. I quite like crappy old grounds like Kenilworth Rd etc. But if we want to attract casual supporters, families and more women then I suspect these things matter. I was surprised that we haven’t done some basic things like freshening up the loos, for example. If you’re accustomed to football it’s fine and you probably don’t care. But to the uninitiated the gents behind the goal are pretty grotty. Don’t think any work has been done on them since the ground was built. Some fresh paint, new dryers and stuff would go a long way.

I believe all loos throughout the ground have been 'freshened up' by volunteers though some of them were painted a couple of years back. Those in the FA concourse have been painted very recently.

• Yes it was a bit of a surprise to hear that with a couple of mins to go.

But very welcome to avoid the lotto of whether there's enough time to get it sent, or having to buy on the day etc

• I wonder if the organisers of CAMRA beer festivals ever get complaints that they’ve not got a professional football match for drinkers to watch?

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Just home from the game. Glad I went and was good to catch up with a few mates.

Great to see you yesterday mate and too meet the family.

I agree about higher or lower - but I was confused about Coleman being in charge for more games that Ainsworth? Is that over a couple of stints.

That is pricey for a kids kit especially as they will grow out of it pretty quick. At least with an adults one if you buy a medium / large whatever then you will be able to wear it for ages.

Hope the journey back was ok
    Phil

• So can anyone who heard an announcement or knows more say how I would buy a ticket for next week, as I would indeed like to? Nothing at all on the website so far as I can see. (And announcing something on the tannoy might have worked well in the other three stands but, as others have said, could hear nothing on the tannoy for the whole game on the terrace.)

• @HCblue said:
    So can anyone who heard an announcement or knows more say how I would buy a ticket for next week, as I would indeed like to? Nothing at all on the website so far as I can see. (And announcing something on the tannoy might have worked well in the other three stands but, as others have said, could hear nothing on the tannoy for the whole game on the terrace.)

Am certain they'll have them available on the website on Monday.

Getting the away tickets and comms right is something I'm certain that will quickly be sorted in the flow of the season.

Some of these other things I'm not sure on.
    As a non drinker for example I'm amazed how key a part of the day boozing is for so many people!

• Not a fan of music being played right up to the point of kick off actually.

Would be nice to hear the crowd instead of guns and roses.

• @Gary said:

I’ve just watched this and couldn’t believe it. 4-1 would have been a fair result and apart from the last few minutes when we gave them too much of the ball I saw nothing from Stanley today that got me worried . I know you have to put a brave face on a comprehensive defeat John but departing from reality isn’t going to help for the next game

• Talking of music, playing Sweet Caroline at the end yesterday was about the only sour note.

At least try to be original. Dismal stuff

• @eric_plant said:
    Talking of music, playing Sweet Caroline at the end yesterday was about the only sour note.

At least try to be original. Dismal stuff

Even Rockin' All Over the World was better

• Fantastic to be back at AP yesterday.
    Arrived at approx 1.30 to a short queue in the village. By 2pm they were queuing way back into the car park - more bar staff needed and I dread to think what would happen with a large number of frustrated away fans!!

Had a 2nd pint in the Caledonian bar, shorter and quicker queue, of reasonable cider which was fairly priced IMO.

Didn’t bother with food which looked bad value.

As already mentioned the sound system didn’t work behind the goal

The game itself was brilliant!!
    Stockdale inspires confidence on and off the pitch.
    Grimmer was his usual solid self.
    Stewart was class.
    JJ looks excellent at CB but corners not up to his high standards.
    McCarthy / Obita did their job. Jason ran himself into the ground
    Scowen was superb. Can’t wait for Thomson also.
    Pendlebury gained some great experience
    Horgan was superb but frustrated with the missed chance.
    McCleary was brilliant and his second goal worth the entry fee alone.
    Vokes was obviously lacking fitness but showed his class.
    Bayo looked sharp IMO.
    Mehmeti is a real handful. Please sign long term.
    Freeman never lets himself down.

Only question for me is when everyone’s fit who misses out?

• Was good to hear Hendrix before the game though.

@arnos_grove yes, I know, but if you were used to watching a professional game every time you went to a beer festival you might want to question why you couldn’t anymore

@Malone I’m always impressed with anyone who could watch some of the games a few years ago stone cold sober…