Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• Few thoughts on yesterday

Josh Scowen had a fantastic return. Plenty to tackles and starting attacks.

Pendlebury reminded me at times of Josh Knight. Lacked a bit of sharpness but hopefully he’ll get better as he gets more used to the pace.

Sam Vokes did ok getting double teamed and many seem to think he’ll get better. What if that his him?

Stockdale’s control of his penalty area is a real calming influence.

The PA is the Frank Adams was too loud. Being able to meet fellow fans for the first time in ages was great but it was so hard to talk to them.

Thought Accrington looked ok but their bench sat their arms folded for most of the game. Maybe the new bench seats are just too comfy.

What has happened to Bodger?

• Great to be back yesterday. Really looking forward to the season. For me the best signing of the summer Josh Scowen.

• I have discussed with Rob Couhig the issue of monitoring and responding to complaints and suggestions and he is very much aware of the importance of being both proactive and reactive.
    Unfortunately, it’s not possible to satisfy everyone’s wishes and desires as the posts about yesterday’s game have proved. One person’s favourite beer is another person’s undrinkable swill; some people think the new sound system is too loud, others say it’s too low; some people like the pre and post match music, others don’t…I hope you’ll agree that it’s a difficult balance and we are only one game into the new league season so things will get b

• Will get better!

• Best food ever at Adams Park? Bloody hell, the bar really was low.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Sam Vokes did ok getting double teamed and many seem to think he’ll get better. What if that his him?

I think that’s a massive attribute in the same way that Bayo and Uche used to draw two or three defenders away. The space it will open for the likes of Horgan and Garath…that said, would people be satisfied if that was his role and his goal return wasn’t the 20 goals that some people crave.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Best food ever at Adams Park? Bloody hell, the bar really was low.

I would say it’s certainly as tasty as I’ve known. Portion size versus price is the main problem. This is especially true for newer visitors who probably aren’t as used to the in event mark up. Our current offering is not as good as value for money as the Wembley Stadium offering. Both are expensive but at least you get full up at Wembley.

Best food at events are always produced by invited independent traders. It’s their business. Trouble is the club profit margin is reduced but they do pass over the stock wastage issue. The other issue is staffing. Getting regular trained people in is so tough so things rarely get better as people don’t stay long enough to get good

• I think Vokes will do well...but if we win every game with him starting but he never scores a goal I will be happy. Him, Horgan and McLeary really put the wind up the Stanley defence so even if that is him fully fit (which he obviously isn't) it worked yesterday.

• I almost forgot the best part of yesterday: people leaving with the score 2-1 late on ?

• @Wheresthechips said:

@ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Just home from the game. Glad I went and was good to catch up with a few mates.

Got the ground early and went in the club shop, £36 for a age 1/2 top. No shorts to go with it. Got the baby it and my partner pointed out you can get the full Everton kits for £40 but I understand they can probably buy in bulk etc. But I'd like to think this is something they'll look at in the future. Have a kit available for a baby for say £20 to £25 and it would be a great present for anyone who has a kid and my get the people into a habit of buying them each season.

Went in the Caledonian and sat on a table for the disabled fans, wasn't aware of this but think it's a good idea and hopefully it takes off and helps with the matchday experience.

The game itself was good. The baby fell asleep as soon as it kicked off but thought Accy started really well and a long ball not being dealt with by a couple of their defenders and we find ourselves one up. Cracking finish for the 2nd and then I thought we'd run away with it.

Half time not quite sure the higher or lower game will take off.

A couple of changes during the second half and I thought we looked like we were just going to see the game out comfortably but them scoring made it a nervy ending but a deserved 3 points In the end.

Went back the Caledonian after the game and the queue was massive but the little bar in the corner was handy once I worked out how to use the barcode and order a drink.

Got some cracking pictures and that rounded off a really good day.

Great to see you yesterday mate and too meet the family.

I agree about higher or lower - but I was confused about Coleman being in charge for more games that Ainsworth? Is that over a couple of stints.

That is pricey for a kids kit especially as they will grow out of it pretty quick. At least with an adults one if you buy a medium / large whatever then you will be able to wear it for ages.

Hope the journey back was ok
    Phil

Alright Phil,

Yeah this is John's second stint at accy and they included that.

Journey home was fine, just hope my Mrs doesn't get the bug, I prefer coming on my own!

The kits a bit big on him so he should get the season out of it.

• @bookertease said:
    Was good to hear Hendrix before the game though.

@arnos_grove yes, I know, but if you were used to watching a professional game every time you went to a beer festival you might want to question why you couldn’t anymore

@Malone I’m always impressed with anyone who could watch some of the games a few years ago stone cold sober…

There's been some dreadful spells over the years where it was pure habit.
    But that's why we have to embrace the good times, hopefully which this season should be!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I almost forgot the best part of yesterday: people leaving with the score 2-1 late on ?

Some actually got up after the accy goal went in!
    Baffling.

• @glasshalffull no-one in the FA stand could possibly have thought that music wasn't loud enough!!

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I almost forgot the best part of yesterday: people leaving with the score 2-1 late on ?

Baffling.

I still think my idea of making them wait x number of minutes before being allowed into the next game has got legs.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Baffling.

Maybe they are just a massive fan of the clean sheet?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Baffling.

Maybe they are just a massive fan of the clean sheet?

Very possibly.
    But when you've shelled out somewhere between 22-28 for a ticket and a tenner for the top tier parking, to miss 5-10mins of the game to get home 20mins earlier seems odd.

• @eric_plant said:
    Talking of music, playing Sweet Caroline at the end yesterday was about the only sour note.

At least try to be original. Dismal stuff

Interesting this, because as soon as Sweet Caroline began, a noticeable number of folk in Block Q began to sing along (not me I might add).

• Oops! Pressed post too soon. Meant to say; just shows how difficult it is to please everyone!

• After yesterday, I do struggle to see how Freeman and Samuel will be able to cement their places in the matchday squad. Obviously yesterday we were missing 5 key players completely (Gape, Tafazolli, Wheeler, Thompson and Kashket) and all of those players should usually at least be making the bench with their ability otherwise when fit.

• @thedieharder said:
    After yesterday, I do struggle to see how Freeman and Samuel will be able to cement their places in the matchday squad. Obviously yesterday we were missing 5 key players completely (Gape, Tafazolli, Wheeler, Thompson and Kashket) and all of those players should usually at least be making the bench with their ability otherwise when fit.

Freeman for certain will drop out of it, as surely will Bloomfield.
    Pendlebury was only meant to be a development player, so he might even drop out of the 18.

That frees up spaces for 3 of the missing 5.
    But most likely we'll always have 2 or 3 of the first choice 20 out injured or suspended.

Tafa and Thompson come straight into the eleven for sure. Only question is which of the defenders drops out for him.

• I don't think Taf comes in unless Stewart gets injured / his form goes off a cliff.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't think Taf comes in unless Stewart gets injured / his form goes off a cliff.

Or to give Stewart a break in the knowledge that Tafazolli is a perfectly competent dep and, arguably, also adds a greater goal threat at corners and set pieces.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't think Taf comes in unless Stewart gets injured / his form goes off a cliff.

Or to give Stewart a break in the knowledge that Tafazolli is a perfectly competent dep and, arguably, also adds a greater goal threat at corners and set pieces.

Yeah, in the busier periods, but this season won't be as hectic scheduling-wise.

• Couple of further observations

Have we shortened the pitch and made it even
    narrower this year. Few more seasons and we’ll be playing on a subbuteo sized pitch…

And we actually came out in time for an actual 3 o’clock kick off (well nearly)

• I think Taf’s height and physical strength will be a major asset in a division where the ball is in the air a lot more than it was in the Championship.

• edited August 2021

Horses for courses and all that, and there will be games where he's better suited, but you don't want to go messing around with the personnel in a back three if you can avoid it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, in the busier periods, but this season won't be as hectic scheduling-wise

Thought it would be a busier schedule this season? With there being a decent chance of further progression in both the FA cup, League cup and the Papa Paint nobody gives a poo unless Wembley is in sight cup.

• edited August 2021

@EwanHoosaami said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, in the busier periods, but this season won't be as hectic scheduling-wise

Thought it would be a busier schedule this season? With there being a decent chance of further progression in both the FA cup, League cup and the Papa Paint nobody gives a poo unless Wembley is in sight cup.

Even so, everything is a bit more spread out this season. It's a month longer than last season!

• Remember the times when we had no decent game changers on the bench? No competition for places and Ainsworth 'playing his mates'? Now it's how will they ever get in the team? I cannot see how X fits in..what has X done to upset the management. I'm pleased we have a squad of decent professional players who can all do a job for us.
    Cup runs, injuries and resting players will all come into play...just my guess.