Skip to content

Leicester City match thread

Comments

• How was the new sound system? Was the music and announcements any better now it's not being played through tinny megaphone looking things??

• Pretty good, though the sound when they played the Vokes Sky interview on the screen was quite poor.

• Didn't go last night, don't do friendlies, but kind of wish I had now !

Only my opinions, but 4.50 for a pint of beer is pretty acceptable now, same as the pubs, bar weatherspoons. I used to quite enjoy the random beers in the vere, good choice. I'm perfectly happy with Rebellion IPA as I like it, but I know a few other proper drink drinkers (not lager) that don't like it at all, so I hope they get a bit more of a choice down there soon, hopefully 'otherthrow' as I like that a lot!

As for food, don't do food at football matches, what's that all about ?!? Football and beer, just the basics.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Pretty good, though the sound when they played the Vokes Sky interview on the screen was quite poor.

I thought it was me

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Pretty good, though the sound when they played the Vokes Sky interview on the screen was quite poor.

I thought it was me

No it was definitely Sam Vokes Morris

• @Wendoverman said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

@Wendoverman said:

I thought it was me

No it was definitely Sam Vokes Morris

If he was closer to 5ft 7, balding, and a little overweight we could be twins

• Sound system and WiFi upgrades worked well, although when Matt Ceceil tried to tell us why the fireworks didn't go off he was drowned out by the music. However that is a problem with the sound levels on the mixer desk not the speakers, so I'd say it could be resolved quite simply in the future.
    I like the idea of a "car park status" sign down at the end of Hillbottom Rd and/or the Hour Glass*. I don't see how the council could object given that we've had them along the A40 from Loudwater to town centre for at least a couple of years advising us of the status of road works, social distancing etc..In the grand scheme of things the expense can't be so great as to be out of the question surely.

*my previous suggestion of a guy with a sandwich board is much lower tech, ?.

• And would only cost £8

• Actually @LX1 it's taken me about 20mins to determine that they are known as VMS - Variable Message Signs - and can be hired for about £100per day or £350pw.
    Okay, I know the club would need permission to position them but that's a piddling small amount in comparison to the cost of other upgrades.

• One thing that was pleasing was the smattering of boos for the knee taking drowned out by the applause.

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2021

https://edgeworthartist.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/click-like-ig.jpg @Twizz said:

Actually @LX1 it's taken me about 20mins to determine that they are known as VMS - Variable Message Signs - and can be hired for about £100per day or £350pw.
    Okay, I know the club would need permission to position them but that's a piddling small amount in comparison to the cost of other upgrades.

The End is Nigh

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Didn't go last night, don't do friendlies, but kind of wish I had now !

Only my opinions, but 4.50 for a pint of beer is pretty acceptable now, same as the pubs, bar weatherspoons. I used to quite enjoy the random beers in the vere, good choice. I'm perfectly happy with Rebellion IPA as I like it, but I know a few other proper drink drinkers (not lager) that don't like it at all, so I hope they get a bit more of a choice down there soon, hopefully 'otherthrow' as I like that a lot!

As for food, don't do food at football matches, what's that all about ?!? Football and beer, just the basics.

O > @HolmerBlue said:

Didn't go last night, don't do friendlies, but kind of wish I had now !

I hope the ale selection continues in the vere as the rebellion IPA was bloody awful.

Would be madness to stop doing this plus the excellent pork scratchings.

• @Wendoverman said:
    One thing that was pleasing was the smattering of boos for the knee taking drowned out by the applause.

It was awesome.

• Not a big fan of Rebellion IPA either. They did have Rebellion 24 Carat on in the beer tent which was half decent if you like a hoppy, craft beer type ale. Is keg so a bit gassy and cold for my taste but prefer it to the IPA.

• Reassuring to see that on the day after we have made one of the most eye catching signings in our history the more important topic of conversation is the quality and price of the ale on offer.

Exactly as it should be.

• Anybody looked at the Leicester City forums? Really wondered if there were any comments about Wycombe? I'll give it a go now and see.

• @bookertease said:
    Reassuring to see that on the day after we have made one of the most eye catching signings in our history the more important topic of conversation is the quality and price of the ale on offer.

Exactly as it should be.

Is not the price & quality of ale on offer at the match entirely appropriate to the 'Leicester City match thread'? Is there not a separate thread for Sam Vokes related comments in which observations in connection with one of the most eye catching signings in our history might more suitably be posted? Or am I missing something?

• @Wendoverman said:
    One thing that was pleasing was the smattering of boos for the knee taking drowned out by the applause.

Yes, that made me very happy.

• edited July 2021

The match itself was fairly good as far as PSFs go, we played some very neat stuff in the first half, more than holding our own against some big names in the Leicester line-up.
    The new signings all fitted in, Scowen his old self with his trademark hard-but-fair tackling turning over possession on numerous occasions. The interplay in midfield is as sharp as I can remember, hopefully something we can build on in the crucible of competitive fixtures.
    The second half was a bit more workmanlike, though we got in the game more as it went on, with Kashket in the Onyedinma wing-back role proving a real threat making runs from deeper than we're used to see him.

On the basis of that showing, the appetite for next season is whetted that bit more. The pressure to perform and get in the leading pack will be on like never before in the Ainsworth era, though I'm confident the squad we have will be up to the challenge. The likes of Tafazolli, Wheeler and now Vokes (EDIT - and Curtis Thompson) set to add further depth to what we saw yesterday evening leaves me dangerously optimistic about our chances!

• @LordMandeville said:

@bookertease said:
    Reassuring to see that on the day after we have made one of the most eye catching signings in our history the more important topic of conversation is the quality and price of the ale on offer.

Exactly as it should be.

Is not the price & quality of ale on offer at the match entirely appropriate to the 'Leicester City match thread'? Is there not a separate thread for Sam Vokes related comments in which observations in connection with one of the most eye catching signings in our history might more suitably be posted? Or am I missing something?

I meant it as a good thing! It’s one of the things I love about the Gasroom community. Of course it’s entirely appropriate to talk about the price of a pint in this particular thread.

• Just looked at the Fox's Forum and apart for a bit of love for Bayo they just seem to think there season is already over! Oh yes and the traffic was terrible!

• Squad looks slightly stronger than last season and they've got the fifth best coach in the league - I think they'll be ok!

• Somebody has suggested to me that it was the 500 cars carrying Leicester fans which caused the traffic jam!
    Even more reason to sort out the communication regarding car park status to people at the end of Hillbottom Rd or at The Hour Glass rather than at the gates to Adams Park.

• My Foxes fan pal gave up after an hour stuck in traffic and went home. £20 for a friendly he never got to. I been joking about how inaccessible it was...little did we know.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Just looked at the Fox's Forum and apart for a bit of love for Bayo they just seem to think there season is already over! Oh yes and the traffic was terrible!

Yes. I saw that. Could not work out if they were joking about imminent relegation after a lacklustre pre-season ot not!

• edited July 2021

Slightly surprised the club haven't put out any kind of statement

• edited July 2021

“Following defeat to League One Wycombe, we can confirm that our season is officially over”

Oh, you mean about the traffic...

• Am I missing something on the parking front? Aren't people answering the wrong question?

Rather than informing people earlier in their journey than at the gates that they need to pre-book for the vast car park, shouldn't we just allow them to park there for a tenner cash or card?

I get that there was a particular problem on Wednesday caused by the decision to burn some money in the top half of the car park, but for the games to come, capacity will surely be perfectly adequate and we should be happy to take people's tenners, shouldn't we?

• It seems to me that the parking issue and the new park and ride scheme thing from west Wycombe is linked - I don’t think the club want people driving to the ground and find alternative ways.

That said, the alternative ways are woefully lacking at this point. It’s a bit chicken and egg in regards to creating a genuine demand for alternative ways to get to the ground but if travelling bar car becomes untenable for most that demand might grow. It’s a high risk strategy though if the alternative isn’t there from the start people might just not bother going at all

• Thanks, @TheDancingYak . Personally, I'd be quite supportive of a policy like that and I'm certainly supportive of the P&R. But if that is the policy, why not be explicit about it, rather than just putting people off (and, as you say, possibly putting them off coming at all, rather than just off parking at the ground) and making the club look disorganised?