Skip to content

Car park price increase

Comments

• The club needs to overcome the problem of access and egress to and from Adams Park as this seems to be the biggest single deterrent to attracting more spectators. Not every idea will work, but they have to be tried.

• edited July 2021

They do, but if we become an established Championship club a few years down the line now then I think we all know what the ultimate solution is.

• With the idea of a second road in much discussed and fairly insurmountable, something like park and ride schemes seems a brilliant option.

So many people seem very anti them though, despite being the main people that will moan at the length of time getting in and out.

• Hoverboards?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    They do, but if we become an established Championship club a few years down the line now then I think we all know what the ultimate solution is.

Booker, but without being someone else's makeweights?

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Well, I was going to say that, but now @drcongo mentions hoverboards...

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

No thank you.

Surely at some point, the council is going to approve new houses in the vicinity of Adams Park/Hillbottom Road and build a new access road.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

No thank you.

Surely at some point, the council is going to approve new houses in the vicinity of Adams Park/Hillbottom Road and build a new access road.

Where do you envisage these houses/road going?

Or are you talking about the Dashwoods being allowed to build a housing empire, with the sweetener being that a road can go through their land?

• I love Adams Park - it's the only Wycombe ground I've ever known - but you've got to admit it's one of the very worst located stadiums in the country. I believe it was the 19th choice site at the time?

• I can't believe there were 18 "better" options.

Where are these sites?

• Cressex, Booker, the moon...

• @Malone said:
    I can't believe there were 18 "better" options.

Where are these sites?

One was Four Ashes - that would have been really strange - but it's been ages since I read about it.

• Ok, from the official history: "Eventually a site at the end of the Hillbottom Road Industrial Estate at Sands was chosen, the 13th possible site the Club had looked at. Pat Day, the Planning Officer, indicated that it was the only one in High Wycombe that the Council could possibly entertain."

So I was a bit out but not that much.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    About 29% @ReturnToSenda!!??

Well, I have just been offered that finance manager job at Derby...

• edited July 2021

And clearly, the fact they looked at 12 other sites doesn't mean they were "better" choices either.
    They might just have come to light as options earlier.

Unless someone was sweetening the decision maker up with lovely sandwiches, the fact they went with our current location, suggests that the other 12 sites were not better at all.

And that's the disturbing thing.
    If this is the best bet, where the heck were these other "options"?

• Can you drink and drive on a hoverboard ?

• I've just advised a Leicester supporting colleague to try the Industrial estate...I hope it will be open! I'm getting a rare lift and pick-up.

• @Malone said:
    And clearly, the fact they looked at 12 other sites doesn't mean they were "better" choices either.
    They might just have come to light as options earlier.

Unless someone was sweetening the decision maker up with lovely sandwiches, the fact they went with our current location, suggests that the other 12 sites were not better at all.

And that's the disturbing thing.
    If this is the best bet, where the heck were these other "options"?

The way I interpreted it was that the council weren't open to more convenient spots, but someone on here must know for sure?

• Given shopping centers are soon to be decimated due to online retail, can we squeeze a new stadium into the Chiltern Center and surrounds in Frogmoor? Not sure it's quite big enough.

Our current site appears to be about 150m * 200m. That area is a bit smaller.

Really should have been built at Handy Cross...

• @drcongo said:
    Cressex, Booker, the moon...

……Milton Keynes!

• I haven’t been in Wycombe for a while but haven’t you got one of those e-scooter schemes?

I reckon a combination of those, plus cycling and a Butlin’s monorail would do the trick.

We could have a competition to name the trains and someone could come up with the witty and original idea of suggesting one be called Mony McMonorailface.

• @arnos_grove We have, and I nearly got wiped out by one the other week.

• @ReturnToSenda i can’t imagine them flying up Plomer Hill. Having used them in Nottingham they slow down quite a bit on our more gentle inclines.

Mind you, that might be more of a comment on my athletic build…

• @arnos_grove said:
    I haven’t been in Wycombe for a while but haven’t you got one of those e-scooter schemes?

I reckon a combination of those, plus cycling and a Butlin’s monorail would do the trick.

We could have a competition to name the trains and someone could come up with the witty and original idea of suggesting one be called Mony McMonorailface.

I was on that Skeggy Monorail at Butlins as Botham was struggling as captain, before turning it round in that memorable Ashes series in 81.
    It was the same week as Big ears married lady Diana !!

• @Malone said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

No thank you.

Where do you envisage these houses/road going?

Or are you talking about the Dashwoods being allowed to build a housing empire, with the sweetener being that a road can go through their land?

In part I would envisage a lot of Hillbottom Road's industrial estate being flattened to create new build flats. The increased traffic as a result would mandate a better road system feeding out to the M40, West Wycombe and the town centre.

• Surely they haven’t got rid of the Handy Cross Hub P&R. Loads of car parking, a bus stop. The ideal location .

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Surely they haven’t got rid of the Handy Cross Hub P&R. Loads of car parking, a bus stop. The ideal location .

Financial implications as a result

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Surely they haven’t got rid of the Handy Cross Hub P&R. Loads of car parking, a bus stop. The ideal location .

It was ideal when it went straight to the ground from up there.

Then they made it the start of the route, meaning you had about a 50min trip on there.

Not seen anyone confirm it's still in operation though. Presume it will be for the first proper game?