Skip to content

Car park price increase

Comments

• This thread has been invaded by cyclists like the cafes on a Saturday and Sunday! ?

• In my youth I did cycle from Norfolk to Loakes Park a couple of times. Sadly that would be beyond me these days

• @CarParkPete

I don’t park at the ground due to all the issues with leaving after the game but fair play to all those in the car park team who do a difficult job, especially after the game.

Your point one will put some off coming but all of these people could buy a pass if they come regularly or get a friend/relative to book online for one off games. You can bet they would find a way if we drew Man Utd at home in the FA Cup.

Your point two is easily solved at 2.45pm when they turn up at the gates. A board by the gates or a simple piece of printed paper handed over by the parking attendant gives them the details to book online. 2 minutes later they have paid, parked and are walking down the hill to the ground.

To me it’s the huge price increases in everything that will ultimately put some off or make some people buy tickets but not spend a penny more at the club on match days.

• @Wendoverman said:
    This thread has been invaded by cyclists like the cafes on a Saturday and Sunday! ?

Or bistros as known in Marlow

• Expect news very soon about an expansion of the Park and Ride service which may work out cheaper for those paying by the match.

• @LX1 said:

@Wendoverman said:
    This thread has been invaded by cyclists like the cafes on a Saturday and Sunday! ?

Or bistros as known in Marlow

All the cyclists ride in from Marlow I think...bistros all empty!?

• On the topic of upper car parking; IIRC there's a firework display following the Leicester game from the upper car park, so I'm guessing the car park wont be available that evening?

• Is it even going to be dark enough for fireworks?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Is it even going to be dark enough for fireworks?

Sunset is before 9 so fireworks at 9.30’ish should be ideal

• Its pretty difficult to get to Adams Park late isn't it?

• "Seasonal pass holders will have their name on the gate for the Leicester friendly, and will be able to collect a physical pass - along with their season ticket card (if ordered) - from the ticket collection point to the left of reception on the night of the game."

Read more here https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/july/blues-launch-new-park--ride-service-with-motts-travel/?fbclid=IwAR05rwGSu7DTERhZJhlEY_Ks3cuaLmxH-1lRBPt0YjQRe1yo9hq4-QXRDzs

• @wwfcblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Is it even going to be dark enough for fireworks?

Sunset is before 9 so fireworks at 9.30’ish should be ideal

Don't forget Wednesday is a 7.30pm kick off

• edited July 2021

£6 (or even £10!) to use a park and ride is going to incentivise absolutely no-one.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    £6 (or even £10!) to use a park and ride is going to incentivise absolutely no-one.

I’d be interested to hear where you live if you think that £6 is expensive to park your car for 3 hours and be driven to and from the ground.

• I live the other side of Oxford (for my sins!) but don't completely see why that's relevant.

If the bus drops you at the end of Hillbottom Road then I know for a fact there is free street parking a 5-10 minute walk from that point. So the park and ride is arguably more convenient but certainly not worth £6 in my view. It's also not much cheaper then just parking at the ground, especially if you buy the season pass. I think it's also more expensive then all those unofficial car parks along Hillbottom Road, and I'm guessing those are exactly the people the club are trying to convert with this option.

If the club really want this option to be attractive then they need to make it cheap enough that it outweighs the loss of convenience from parking further away and taking longer to get to and away from the ground. Start it off at £2 or £3 and give yourself the best chance of converting people, then gradually increase the price from there. It may have to be a loss leader for a little while but you can argue you're investing to solve a longer term problem.

Final point - I suspect we'd have had a far better chance at this price point in the Championship with near capacity crowds each week, compared with approx 5k in League One. I may be completely wrong though.

• edited July 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

I didn't know we allowed away supporters to park at the ground (although I'm not sure how you'd distinguish).

At Wimbledon away, the stewards simply checked the ticket.
    They stopped me going in their nice free carpark!

• The unofficial parking will most certainly go up to £8-£9 now the official parking is £10.

I think the park and ride is good value at £6. However people like convenience, so walking to the end of Hillbottom Road, waiting for a bus, taking the bus and then getting to your car may not be to many peoples liking

• That sounds a brilliant new idea.
    A bit pricey, but probably has to be that amount to make it work.

And 30 in a vehicle only could mean some queues and waits, trying to get back down Hillbottom, but presumably all 3 go off similarly at least, so 90 away at once.

Will probably try it.

• @wwfcblue said:
    The unofficial parking will most certainly go up to £8-£9 now the official parking is £10.

I think the park and ride is good value at £6. However people like convenience, so walking to the end of Hillbottom Road, waiting for a bus, taking the bus and then getting to your car may not be to many peoples liking

If I read the announcement correctly the buses will be outside AP gates after matches.

• The main advantage I think will be that it will allow people to stay behind after the game and wait for the second (or third) shuttle return trip.

Given the variability in traffic times however, for it to work the club need to be switched on enough to announce return times in the Verr, etc about 10 minutes before the second/third departures

• @bookertease said:
    The main advantage I think will be that it will allow people to stay behind after the game and wait for the second (or third) shuttle return trip.

Given the variability in traffic times however, for it to work the club need to be switched on enough to announce return times in the Verr, etc about 10 minutes before the second/third departures

Agreed.
    A few years ago we played Portsmouth with a big crowd and they massively underestimated the appeal of the busses.
    Meaning that they decided to change one to only to the station and back (ie not up to the top of Marlow hill where many park).
    This gave the choice of use the bus to the stations and walk in the rain up the hill, walk in the rain from the ground, or wait the eta given of one hour for the bus to return!
    I took option A being young enough for the walk to just be a slight irritation. But did feel sorry for any oldies or those not up for a walk.

• @micra said:

If I read the announcement correctly the buses will be outside AP gates after matches.

Think it said end of Hillbottom drop of, post match pick up from AP gates

• @Malone said:

Agreed.
    A few years ago we played Portsmouth with a big crowd and they massively underestimated the appeal of the busses.
    Meaning that they decided to change one to only to the station and back (ie not up to the top of Marlow hill where many park).
    This gave the choice of use the bus to the stations and walk in the rain up the hill……..
    I took option A being young enough for the walk to just be a slight irritation. But did feel sorry for any oldies or those not up for a walk.

I attended John Hampden for seven years on the train from B’field. The thought of having to walk up f*<!n Marlow Hill ever again is one of the deepest scars on my already troubled brain.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Malone said:

Agreed.
    This gave the choice of use the bus to the stations and walk in the rain up the hill……..

I attended John Hampden for seven years on the train from B’field. The thought of having to walk up f*<!n Marlow Hill ever again is one of the deepest scars on my already troubled brain.

Same. Had a lift for a couple of years, but a big hill as a kid.
    Sitting on the bus after the game waiting for ages to get through traffic, THEN a mile walk up the hill was not a great result.

The best arrangement was when they bad the bus at the end of Hillbottom and then took a right up to the top of Cressex that way.
    However not great for those not easy of walking, and they then changed the park n ride route as well, totally wrecking it for many.

• A ski lift up the hill to West Wycombe would be my suggestion. Requires minimal staffing, don't have to worry about times as it's always running. Would be great fun jumping onto one of them from the Chairboys Village, enhancing matchday experience.

Only drawback would be where to go from West Wycombe if not driving. Maybe a matchday bus service from town.

• I read that as £6 per vehicle, so if there are 4 of you in the car it's £1.50 each. That's not hugely expensive. Agreed £6 on your own is a lot.
    Shame they can't do something from the Hub at Waitrose/Handy Cross, hoping something might get announced here.
    It's the wrong side of the ground from the M40 J6 but probably good for those coming off at J5.

• Good point @commoner, solo to multiple changes it very quickly from steep, to great value.

• Don't wish to sound negative, but can't see a park and ride in west Wycombe taking off myself

• Let's hope it does, and others pop up, as over a certain attendance the roads in and out are gridlocked.