Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• Pretty close to the perfect tournament so far. Admittedly we’ve not yet played anyone that good.

• edited July 2021

That might be the most complete performance we've ever produced in a knockout match. Absolutely swept the floor with them. The second half at least.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    My word, Kane really is not with it. Never mind, we've got Calvert-Lewin in reserve...

• Still wonder how that game would have panned out if Docherty hadn't played that suicidal pal across his own area for Shevchenko to score the first.

Betsy gave Ashley Cole probably the hardest game anyone ever did that night.
    A fitting last game in Wanderers colours for his "real" spell with us. The second spell was a shadow of the first .

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    That might be the most complete performance we've ever produced in a knockout match. Absolutely swept the floor with them.

It’s the clean sheets rather than the goals that’s been most impressive for me.

To win a tournament you have to be
    A hard to score against.
    B comfortable with the ball all round the pitch.

There’s been a couple of half mistakes made in defence this evening but at 2/3/4 goals up it’s the best time to make some of them.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    That might be the most complete performance we've ever produced in a knockout match. Absolutely swept the floor with them. The second half at least.

Keep forgetting where your points of reference are but the England performance tonight was world class and shows we are in the mix to win this. Have used less energy than the other three left and have grown in to the tournement where others seem to be running out of players and steam.

• @bookertease said:
    I am out of my comfort zone here. England looking quite good in the latter stages of a tournament? I am in danger (hopefully) of looking very stupid with my early tournament pessimism.

But I HATE VAR. Was it just me but I felt I couldn’t celebrate either of the first two goals until after I’d seen a replay so that it wasn’t offside.

Spot on about VAR. I have all the excitement of a sleeping monk till they do the check. What a horrible addition to the sport.

• We're in with a chance, doing what we need to to win, even if its not pretty

• That was the just about the easiest tournament England game I have ever watched…brilliant!

• Pretty enough for me.

• Mr Southgate is making me eat my words although I still think in press conferences he comes across as having all the charisma of stacked plasterboard

• He comes across as the genuine, thoughtful guy that he is. Let the charisma shine from the pitch (if that makes sense).

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Mr Southgate is making me eat my words although I still think in press conferences he comes across as having all the charisma of stacked plasterboard

He’s the epitome of not getting carried away when we win or too low if we lose.

I’m just not sure if that’s a conscious decision or just his natural charisma

• He’s proving me wrong hats off

• Premier League English players who didn’t get in the England squad or were injured and who would probably get into the other home nations teams:-

Abraham, Barkley, Hudson-Odoi - Chelsea.
    Greenwood, Henderson, Wan-Bissaka, Lingard - Man U.
    Vardy, Maddison, Barnes - Leicester.
    Alli, Dier, Winks - Spurs
    Alexander-Arnold, Oxlade Chamberlain, Milner - Liverpool
    Godfrey, Holgate, Keane, Delph - Everton.
    Watkins - Villa
    Bamford - Leeds
    Ward - Prowse, Southampton.
    Pope, Tarkowski - Burnley.
    Eze - Palace.
    White - Brighton.
    Smith-Rowe - Arsenal

There are many more.

• Wednesday, finally time to avenge the Danelaw, and stick one to the king of the Danes, Cnut.

• That was an excellent performance. The ability to rest players...and we did not even bring on Grealish must give us plenty of hope for the Denmark game. It might be closer but we've got enough to make the Final I think. Now the question is will Spain be able to test or even halt Italy's run to Wembley? Southgate's use of the squad has been exemplary and the togetherness of such a group of players bears comparison with another Gareth. Sancho, Saka and Grealish? What a group to be able to call on to start, bring on late or in extra time?

• Logically you are absolutely spot-on @Wendoverman but my psyche of 50+ years of watching England in tournaments is still shaking it’s metaphorical head inside me and saying: “nah, we’ll blow it.”

I envy all of you who can genuinely look forwards to Wednesday with unbridled optimism.

(My rational self actually says, we can’t lose but my irrational self says ‘watch Rice get sent off after 3 minutes…’)

• Dont worry @bookertease deep down we all know we're a shoot-out away from 'thought so.'

• I just feel that even if we were to win the shine would be taken off if we had a low xg and we hadn't moved the ball upfield at an acceptable number of metres per second

• I feel we will make the final at least, but Denmark will be no joke with their togetherness and emotional back story. There is a feeling this is our year, but there is also that nagging feeling this is Denmark's year too!

• Akinfenwa - Wycombe

• Gareth S may not have the charisma of Gareth A but he shares the same integrity and discretion and the same ability not to get carried away by victory or disheartened by defeat.

Both have great empathy with the players and the ability to identify and encourage latent or faltering talent in players (two obvious examples being Luke Shaw and Raheem Sterling) who have been through difficult times as a result of temporary loss of form and/or unfounded criticism by media, managers or the public at large.

In both cases, it’s all about the team, not themselves. Personally, I’m not at all bothered that Gareth Southgate is not a jocular ‘hail fellow well met’ character.

• I was struck by the similarities between the two Gareths last night

The way that the first thing he did was praise the players who hadn't made the squad and hadn't got on the pitch and saying they were the most important factor in our progress was straight out of the Ainsworth playbook

As a Wycombe and England fan I feel very lucky to have them both

• Hear hear to that @eric_plant. Well I would say that, wouldn’t I.

• Yes, hear hear from me too @eric_plant.

• There are a lot of clichés about a positive attitude, but they happen to be mostly true!

I can't wait for the 'England Euros Win Inspired By Wycombe headline. Southgate could do worse than study GA and Dobbo.

• Spain have drawn 5 of 6 games in 90 minutes. Hopefully they won't do a Portugal from last time!

• Most enjoyable tournament ever?

• Italia 90 for me but I think that's as much to do with how old I was at the time as much as anything

Euro 96 was amazing as well