Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Knowing Rocky he’ll be cleaning his boots before signing!
    Good luck to him, an excellent goalkeeper and a good lad.

• Hope Gillingham have a large stock of shoelaces!

• 'That's right Rocky...sign there...on the line...' Good luck to him. Needs to be a No 1 somewhere.

• @Wendoverman said:
    'That's right Rocky...sign there...on the line...' Good luck to him. Needs to be a No 1 somewhere.

At the moment he'd be the only 1 - they've barely got any players - although that rumour is only from the S*n.

• Really happy for him!

• Fred gone, uche possibly on his way too?....
    No big money signings yet!????
    Ainsworth out!!!!!
    ??????????????

• Isn’t that the tunnel I drove through to get my Covid jabs ?!

• @micra said:
    Isn’t that the tunnel I drove through to get my Covid jabs ?!

Not lost your observational skills then @micra???? I believe you might be correct. If so, what a good piece of business by the Club.

• Don’t know if this has been flagged on this forum before but seems to be quite a few stories around linking Dennis Adeniran with Sheffield Wednesday.

Let’s hope it’s not the case.

• Great Stats Tom.

Leaving us with only 2 positions to fill, excluding loans if Akinfenwa and Burley sign. Burley no longer being U21.

Very little scope then to find the next big pay day.

We certainly need 3/4 good loan players in to balance the squad and give us a better opportunity of finishing in the Top 2.

• @wwfcblue said:

Great Stats Tom.

Leaving us with only 2 positions to fill, excluding loans if Akinfenwa and Burley sign. Burley no longer being U21.

Very little scope then to find the next big pay day.

We certainly need 3/4 good loan players in to balance the squad and give us a better opportunity of finishing in the Top 2.

There should be five spaces left (three if Bayo and Burley extend). The good thing is loanees only count towards the limit if they're over 21, which wasn't the case in the Championship.

• You need any extra spare grey cell then on your tracker. You've only got four showing instead of five.

With so few spaces left to fill I can see 1 to 3 players leaving or not even making the squad list. Tough call for Gaz if nobody comes in for them.

• Ah, yeah, I see what I've done now!

• He's rarely anything else than positive but difficult to watch this and be too worried about the future

• Yeah, I get the sense they've known Uche was on his way for a while. Can't wait to see who walks through that door next.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Ah, yeah, I see what I've done now!

Drives me mad that spreadsheets don't start at zero.

• Designed by Americans. They don’t even have floor 0 - ground =1 for them. What hope for spreadsheets?

Though using RC notation in Excel gets a bit closer to using 0

• We've lost four attackers so far this window - Uche, Fred, Admiral and Dennis (potentially a fifth in Bayo) - and have five spaces left in the squad. I think we need to strengthen the wing back positions in order to play that system with confidence. Which doesn't give much room for signing more strikers. And if we do bring in more wing-backs, I'm not sure we have the luxury of being able to offer Bayo a place in the squad if there's any doubt over his knee.

• @aloysius said:
    We've lost four attackers so far this window - Uche, Fred, Admiral and Dennis (potentially a fifth in Bayo) - and have five spaces left in the squad. I think we need to strengthen the wing back positions in order to play that system with confidence. Which doesn't give much room for signing more strikers. And if we do bring in more wing-backs, I'm not sure we have the luxury of being able to offer Bayo a place in the squad if there's any doubt over his knee.

Strengthen the wingbacks?
    McCarthy will be a star player in league 1, and Obita should be pretty good.
    Or do you mean getting some deputies in?

The massive massive priority is getting a striker in who remembers what it's like scoring more than about 5 a season, or is younger than 38

• Yes, I mean getting some deputies in. Or maybe just one who's comfortable on either side.

• edited July 2021

Hopefully a winger who's already capable of playing there (i.e. a direct Fred replacement). Burley has been back for the start of pre-season, so it seems like he'll be staying - not sure where he's at in terms of his development, but Gaz rates him and he can play CB/DMC - which then leaves four spots unless Bayo stays. Two strikers and a CB, if not two, needed really.

• Fred was surely just a temporary fill in left wing back.
    Bet Luton don't play him there, and we wouldn't have in league one.

• @aloysius surely getting in deputies for the wingbacks, by your own mathematics, reduces the chances of replacing our lost attackers with player(s) who will win League One for us?

• Don’t rule out any more outgoings. I still think Freeman will leave, plus one or two more, so there should be a few more spaces in the squad.

• Wonder if we'll use a back 5 as much having been promoted with a very tight back 4 with a GK upgrade and with a few more options around them now and in front of them. If we were to go back to back 4 we'd have good cover already. Add in a winger who can double up at wing back and some cover at CB we might be good there.
    Really hope for Bayos sake that if he wants to stay it's after we get an Uche replacement.

• With the derby nonsense finally resulting in us definitely being in league 1 and uche going.... Now would be a great time to announce a spectacular incoming player...... ??????

• @Gary said:
    Don’t rule out any more outgoings. I still think Freeman will leave, plus one or two more, so there should be a few more spaces in the squad.

For me Freeman in the little game time he had was better than Horgan.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Gary said:
    Don’t rule out any more outgoings. I still think Freeman will leave, plus one or two more, so there should be a few more spaces in the squad.

For me Freeman in the little game time he had was better than Horgan.

I guess the real concern was his lack of game time in League Two. I don’t think we’ve seen the best of Horgan yet and he could rip L1 apart next season, if he’s still here.