Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Without Bayo alongside him, Kashket has never looked dangerous. In my opinion he should only be considered as back up on the bench not as a starter.

I think Horgan is one of those players that looks good but actually has minimal end product, in a similar way to Smyth and Aarons.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Horgan doesn’t seem to be the adaptable player that Gaz really values. He does one thing pretty well - down the wing and a decent cross. At present we don’t have a target man for the cross and not at our best playing that set up anyway.
    Squad player as others have suggested, maybe even a sale to get some money back / save on wages?

Pretty sure the gasroom was in uproar last season about Horgan's inability to cross it well. He overhit the vast majority.

• @Chris said:
    If you ignore 1966 England have never won the World Cup.

Take your point, but it's 5 seasons ago now that Kashket had his hot spell.

I'd love to see him really nail a spot down and smash it.
    In a proper front 2 would definitely be his best chance.

• If we're gonna go all the way back to 1966 for proof, I gotta agree with Malone. Jimmy Greaves would probably struggle a little up front these days.

• In zero importance cup games i would like to see a front two of kashket and samuel but yes we need a target man for the League I think. The problem finding an affordable proven striker who would fit Gareth and Dobbo's profile.

• Ikpeazu did fit that role @Wendoverman and probably other than a few, none of us would have considered him.

• @our_frank said:
    Seems a little strange that Mehmeti is apparently inked in for the advanced midfielder role when it was McCleary who played that role to great effect in the last 5 games of the season.

Happy with either, I just feel like Gareth will be more inclined to start Mehmeti at the lower level - but they're obviously two quality options to have. Mehmeti could yet change in role anyway - interesting that Albania U21 used him as more of a deep-lying playmaker in a flatter 3-5-2, admittedly not to great effect.

• @Malone said:
    It's an interesting one with Kashket and Samuel.

Perception, for almost every Wycombe fan, is that Kashket is a goal king, and Samuel has next to no threat.

But if you ignore Kashket's 3 month hot streak in league 2 over 4 years ago, bearing in mind Samuel didn't play at that level for us, their recent record is

Kashket 15 goals over the last 4 seasons (100 appearances)
    Samuel 11 goals over the last 3 seasons (86 appearances)

So a pretty similar goal threat on paper!

Never look at goals relative to appearances - got to look at minutes! Kashket averages a goal every 231 minutes, Samuel one every 685 (in the league).

• @Malone said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    Horgan doesn’t seem to be the adaptable player that Gaz really values. He does one thing pretty well - down the wing and a decent cross. At present we don’t have a target man for the cross and not at our best playing that set up anyway.
    Squad player as others have suggested, maybe even a sale to get some money back / save on wages?

Pretty sure the gasroom was in uproar last season about Horgan's inability to cross it well. He overhit the vast majority.

"Uproar"

• Our best bet for a striker this season is to hope for a Defoe style premier league loan I would say. The idea of starting with Samuel and Kashket up front dampens my hopes for a promotion push without trying to be too harsh on them both.

• Why isn't our best bet to unearth another gem like Uche?

Have a bit more faith in Gaz and his management team

• Fair comment, ok I will wait and see :)

• Hopefully both, an unearthed gem, and a decent loan

• Defoe is getting on a bit now too.

• @drcongo said:
    Defoe is getting on a bit now too.

Think he could do a job alongside the right big man although L1 might be a step up from the games against all but about 3 Scottish Prem teams.

• @Chris said:

That's exactly what I do.

• edited July 2021

@drcongo said:
    Defoe is getting on a bit now too.

Fairly sure you know this but I was referring to his loan season at Bournemouth in Lge 1 20 years ago.

• 20 years ago the loan system was very very different. Chucking a Defoe out to Bournemouth, a Beckham to Preston, a Lampard to Swansea simply would not happen now. Prodigy talents will remain in the academy system or be loaned out for value rather than pure development. Hence why the release age of a lot of these premiership youngsters is so much later.
    Plus the chances of getting a Defoe is pretty tiny.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    20 years ago the loan system was very very different. Chucking a Defoe out to Bournemouth, a Beckham to Preston, a Lampard to Swansea simply would not happen now. Prodigy talents will remain in the academy system or be loaned out for value rather than pure development. Hence why the release age of a lot of these premiership youngsters is so much later.
    Plus the chances of getting a Defoe is pretty tiny.

Yep, these days Defoe's goalscoring exploits would be limited to Premier League 2 and only Football Manager players would know about him.

• @Kim_il_Swan said:

@Chris said:

That's exactly what I do.

Plenty who ignore football prior to the 'Premier League era'

Loads who ignore MK Dons too.

• I have every faith the management team will yet again surprise and amaze us with their signings. I also think Kashket and Samuel still have a role to play. Let's be depressed about our chances 20 games in. Not before a bloody ball has been kicked.

• No one is depressed @Wendoverman but in selling two of our best players the hope is we will bring in one or two new front men to really push for the top places.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    No one is depressed @Wendoverman but in selling two of our best players the hope is we will bring in one or two new front men to really push for the top places.

Do you think we won't?

• I hope we do.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I have every faith the management team will yet again surprise and amaze us with their signings. I also think Kashket and Samuel still have a role to play. Let's be depressed about our chances 20 games in. Not before a bloody ball has been kicked.

Oy. Let me have the right to be depressed about our chances from the first misplaced pass, 14 seconds into the Accrington Stanley game

• This thread is descending into nonsense imho.
    Our GK, defence and midfield look at least league 1 competent..... It's clear to see our attack is now our blindingly obvious weak point. We have money to spend..... In GA we must trust!!!! He knows the score!!

• Scowen + 2 new strikers, a replacement for Fred and a CB would be a really good transfer window imo. Excited to see who Gaz will bring in.

• Horgan has been mentioned, but I think people are forgetting some of the other players we have like Obita, who can take over from Fred at left wing back, McCleary who can play in a number of positions, and Grimmer who consistently proved his worth at Championship level. A replacement for Uche is a major priority and cover is needed in central defence, otherwise we are pretty well covered.

• @glasshalffull said:
    A replacement for Uche is a major priority and cover is needed in central defence, otherwise we are pretty well covered.

Depends what we're aiming for I guess.

If last season's "best eleven" were lower Championship / upper League One standard, we've lost five of them (Uche, Fred, Knight, Muskwe & Adeniran) and gained only one (Scowen).

If Rob's aim really is a return to the Championship I think we'll need more than two further additions.

• I read somewhere that we were 6th in the "2nd half of the season" table (or maybe that's what Pete said in that recent podcast?) Not sure how correct that is, but we were definitely 7th in the "last quarter of the season" form table. So your 'starting position' is on kind of shaky ground... You could equally say that our "Best X1" were hammering on the door of the play-offs for a place in the Premier League.

However, I agree with the general point that we need to add some quality based on who we've lost (all of those players were top notch, and were mostly regular starters). But I'm sure that's what we will see in the coming weeks. It's still only early July...

Looking forward positively to the "Breaking News" from the official social media outlets in the weeks ahead.