Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Sounds promising.

@micra would go to pieces at the wording.

• Must say that I am looking forward to Sam Vokes and am just a little apprehensive for the next 30mins to pass quickly so that it can finally be confirmed. I am well up for joining the Vokes Wagon.

• Haha they might as well announce it, everybody knows now anyway !

• That fan is my new favourite person.

• Vokes, Scowen, Kaikai, Pendlebury, Wakely etc.

Our summer business is looking stupendous now!

• Now just to see if it's a year loan, or an incredible permo signing!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

That fan is my new favourite person.

It’s probably just some random bloke that’s gone to buy some merchandise and like a true fan, has put it on immediately. Right?

• edited July 2021

Our second XI could almost contend in L1, I fancy. Just for argument's sake (and not necessary insisting on formation or that the first XI are all better than the second XI):

First XI:
    Stockdale
    McCarthy
    Taffs
    Stewart
    JJ
    Thompson
    Scowen
    McLeary
    Wheeler
    Kaikai
    Vokes

Second XI:
    Przybek
    Grimmer
    Wakely
    Burley
    Obita
    Gape
    Horgan
    Freeman
    Mehmeti
    Bayo
    Kashket

That's not to mention Pendlebury, Samuel or Blooms. Second XI just weak in central defence, but respectable otherwise.

• Got space for two more over 21s if I've got my maths right. A nippy striker and someone left-footed capable of playing as a winger or wing-back would be ideal imo.

• really impressive squad , got a real.shot.of promotion this season

• Trialist who came on in the 76th minute looks like Gibraltar international TJay De Baar.

• @JohnBoy said:
    Trialist who came on in the 76th minute looks like Gibraltar international TJay De Baar.

Nice spot indeed!

• Another great name

• Just like to put it out there that I called Vokes first in the gasroom well before that grinning bald bloke on Hillbottom. Thank you.

• Credit where it’s due @kiscokid. I was looking back through the thread and saw that you mentioned him long before it was even a rumour. Good call.

Not direct replacements but we’ve lost (using someone’s list of three names) Uche, Fred and Knight and replaced them with Vokes, KaiKai and Scowen.

On paper that looks like an upgrade, which pretty much makes this the strongest Wycombe squad ever?

How the hell have we managed to go from that dark day when GA had to tell those players he wanted to keep, he couldn’t afford them a few short years (4?) ago to this?

I know the simple answer is the Couhigs money, but it’s so so much more.

• To be fair it was a wild guess looking at unsettled or out of contract players and the Shrews boss said they wanted him but his mind was set elsewhere. Still feels like a massive signing. Our squad has immense depth right now. Hard to pick a starting XI without benching some quality players.

• Its going to be a long season and with three cup competitions, cover for injury and international call-ups we are going to need to good squad and it looks like we have one. Well done to the staff. Looking forward to Vokes overtaking Bayo in the scoring records!

• Was Vokes out of contract? Can't have felt we paid money for him and only gave him a 1 year deal.

Perhaps Stoke took the hit to get him off the books.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Was Vokes out of contract? Can't have felt we paid money for him and only gave him a 1 year deal.

No, he had a year left, must have come to an agreement with Stoke, good to see someone prioritising playing and getting his career back on track over sitting on his arse and picking up his wages.

• Two good loanees to round off our summer dealings and we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. Maybe Leicester can provide 1 or both.

• Gareth said on the mic after the game, "there are more players to come" !!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Two good loanees to round off our summer dealings and we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. Maybe Leicester can provide 1 or both.

Got the impression Leicester were very very early in their pre season work but didn’t anyone in their squad that impressed me as much as Muskwe and Knight did.
    And I wasn’t really aware who was a regular and who was fringe

• @ChasHarps said:
    Gareth said on the mic after the game, "there are more players to come" !!

I thought Gareth’s comment was more to the effect that there were currently unsigned players, i.e. players who we’d seen on the pitch last night, who we’d be seeing a lot more of.

• The left winger for Leicester first half was a handful, wouldn't mind him...

• @StrongestTeam said:

No, he had a year left, must have come to an agreement with Stoke, good to see someone prioritising playing and getting his career back on track over sitting on his arse and picking up his wages.

Sit down with Stocko over diner in Marlow, “it’s a great laugh here mate, come and be a fans hero, sod the money, how many Rollers do you need”

• @StrongestTeam said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    Was Vokes out of contract? Can't have felt we paid money for him and only gave him a 1 year deal.

Must have done. As a rumoured 33k a week for a year is 1.7m!!
    Even if we stretched our wage offer to 5k a week, that's still a 1.4m or so hole.

Stoke surely must have given him 500k or more as a lump sum or continue to pay it for the year.