Skip to content

EFL Playoffs

Comments

• This game is one late tackle away from a 22 man brawl.

• @Wendoverman said:
    My daughter got immunised at the Kassam (early doors) and my wife (who has no interest in the game) who used to work near the old ground was surprised to see how shoddy it looked '...And it's only got three sides!'

A second dose of play-off failure already booked

• @floyd said:
    This game is one late tackle away from a 22 man brawl.

Morecambe seem to be overly fond of play-acting, overly dramatic rolling around and general acting like they've been shot every time a Tranmere player makes contact. Surely Derek Adams doesn't countenance such shithousery?

• And right on cue, here comes the brawl.

• Morecambe winning with 25% possession and seven shots - I didn't have Derek down as an Ainsworth disciple.

• edited May 2021

DA is one of the bad guys, but it would be very impressive for him to take Morecambe up to the third tier for the first time, after also coming 4th in the league, far ahead of the pack.

It would also be two more opportunities for him to be outdone by the master.

• IMO League One has been possibly the most exciting around the last few years. If Sunderland fans had accepted it would take a few years to sort things out off the pitch, they could have enjoyed themselves, with any promotion a bonus.

• edited May 2021

@LX1 said:
    IMO League One has been possibly the most exciting around the last few years. If Sunderland fans had accepted it would take a few years to sort things out off the pitch, they could have enjoyed themselves, with any promotion a bonus.

This is a really good point. If your 'floor' is L1, life should be pretty fun as a fan. Even when you are at your lowest ebb, you are likely winning more games than you lose.

The best division to watch is a toss up between L1 and the Championship, and then L2 in third and PL in fourth. I am not just being bitter against the PL. The other day I looked at the TV schedule and these were my options:

Chelsea v Leicester - massive game with CL implications
    Newport v Forest Green - L2 playoff semi first leg

I chose the L2 game without hesitation.

• I suspect we've had this discussion before, but I completely agree. I think the PL is a thoroughly miserable experience for fans of most of the clubs in it. Certainly, I have a mate who is a Fulham fan (a proper fan - season ticket holder) and he gets terrifically excited while they're getting promoted to the PL and then wants to give up football in the seasons they're actually in it.

We all want to get as high in the pyramid as we can. That's part of being a fan. But, as @Shev suggests, winning more games than you lose is also pretty important.

Our season in the Championship is maybe a counterexample. But I don't think it would have been if we didn't have such a wholly exceptional manager, assistant manager and team.

• Can't decide if i'd rather Blackpool scored early tonight to extinguish any Oxford hoe, of if it would be more fun for Oxford to win 2-0, and the game to end while they desperately sought an equalizer.

• @floyd said:
    Can't decide if i'd rather Blackpool scored early tonight to extinguish any Oxford hoe

Are you allowed to do things like that on the pitch?

• You can if it’s just to remove weeds.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:
    Can't decide if i'd rather Blackpool scored early tonight to extinguish any Oxford hoe

Are you allowed to do things like that on the pitch?

Lmao! I've heard of a few Wycombe fans do it in Blackpool before

• Maybe Floyd was thinking of Plymouth.

• Ho ho !

• For Sunderland to get out of league one they’ve got to accept that they’re in it.

• @floyd said:
    Can't decide if i'd rather Blackpool scored early tonight to extinguish any Oxford hoe, of if it would be more fun for Oxford to win 2-0, and the game to end while they desperately sought an equalizer.

I'd rather Oxford get spanked 5-0 and there's absolutely no chance at all for them

• @drcongo said:
    Maybe Floyd was thinking of Plymouth.

He's in his late 30s so is probably a Thundercats fan

• Yes. I would prefer Oxford to be put to the sword and then Sunderland to lose 0-2 at home to a terrible Lincoln in front of their angry rabid fans...

• Brilliant @MorrisItal_ .

• @floyd said:
    Can't decide if i'd rather Blackpool scored early tonight to extinguish any Oxford hoe, of if it would be more fun for Oxford to win 2-0, and the game to end while they desperately sought an equalizer.

I have put an even nastier suggestion on the Worst Game thread where the same topic was raised earlier this afternoon.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    For Sunderland to get out of league one they’ve got to accept that they’re in it.

“Do not try and get out of League 1 - that’s impossible. Instead, only try to realise the truth.”

“What truth?”

“Sunderland are shite."

• @HolmerBlue said:

@floyd said:

I'd rather Oxford get spanked 5-0 and there's absolutely no chance at all for them

Agreed Mr HB, a 4-0 defeat or worse will give the Headington Namechangers the record ever playoff defeat since they were introduced.

• I don't particularly hate Oxford, but if you do, it might be best for them to have a mundane 1-1 draw and go out with a whimper rather than utter embarrassment or heartbreak, as they would then continue to look at the Wycombe final as the true sliding doors moment of tragedy. If I supported Oxford I would still be having nightmares about those chances between the equalizer and the penalty, and every other night I would dream of a gigantic Anthony Stewart destroying the city, Ghostbusters-style, while I flee in terror down various dark alleys...

• Good... let them have nightmares

• @Shev said:
    If I supported Oxford I would still be having nightmares about those chances between the equalizer and the penalty, and every other night I would dream of a gigantic Anthony Stewart destroying the city, Ghostbusters-style, while I flee in terror down various dark alleys...

What a brilliant image.

Anthony ‘Stay Puft’ Stewart.

• One of the fans on the Sunderland forum suggested @glasshalffull commentary was biased as he is well known Newcastle fan...

• @floyd said:

Conceding on about 3mins to wipe even the most remote hopes out ideally.

• I imagine the world's journalists have decamped to Blackpool tonight. As they would want to witness Tubby Tight Jumper Robinsons claim, That it would be the greatest ever achievement in football, if the PNL went through.

• The sad thing in all this: we have to drop down into this tinpot division next season, with all these clubs who have not been in the second tier as recently as us. I guess we can hold our collective nose as we play them...