Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• edited November 2021

further points deduction confirmed. Derby on -3points.

• They’ll have to go some to survive. Gives our promotion push additional impetus.

• The teams that really benefit from this now are the teams such as Peterborough who now pretty much know that the et have one less threat to their survival expectations. So just imagine, Peterborough survive another season in the Championship because Derby get this late points deduction. Peterborough will then get their £7M payment next season for staying up, whilst the mighty Wycombe Wanderers have been relegated and lost £7M less the parachute payment because the EFL were cumbersome and unprofessional.

• I think there's quite a queue of clubs who could lay a claim against Derby for their cheating. Middlesbrough chief among them, who were denied a play-off place in the 18/19 season. They also managed to outbid Boro for Martin Waghorn despite not legally being able to afford his fee or wages if FFP had been implemented.

Steve Gibson is still actively pursuing Derby legally over those issues.

• As a layman I can't get my head around Mel Morris saying in an interview (can't find it at the moment) they deliberately withheld the figures as they knew it would result in them going down last season and they needed the cash. Surely if any club wanted to seek a claim against Derby that is the smoking gun. Why the EFL didn't act immediately they saw that interview I have no idea and begs more questions than answers.
    Twitter is currently alight with Derby fans claiming they have been the victim of conspiracy to have them relegated. Oh the injustice.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    As a layman I can't get my head around Mel Morris saying in an interview (can't find it at the moment) they deliberately withheld the figures as they knew it would result in them going down last season and they needed the cash. Surely if any club wanted to seek a claim against Derby that is the smoking gun. Why the EFL didn't act immediately they saw that interview I have no idea and begs more questions than answers.
    Twitter is currently alight with Derby fans claiming they have been the victim of conspiracy to have them relegated. Oh the injustice.

Maybe it makes sense to those who have a legal mind, but to us supporters it seems absolutely bonkers. Almost akin to someone saying "well i knew I was well over the booze limit, so that's why i ran off to the woods for a day to sober up, and then face a new test".
    Unbelievable stuff.

At least being 18 points off safety about 40% of the season in should guarantee them a well deserved relegation. Just sore that it should have very obviously been last season.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    The teams that really benefit from this now are the teams such as Peterborough who now pretty much know that the et have one less threat to their survival expectations. So just imagine, Peterborough survive another season in the Championship because Derby get this late points deduction. Peterborough will then get their £7M payment next season for staying up, whilst the mighty Wycombe Wanderers have been relegated and lost £7M less the parachute payment because the EFL were cumbersome and unprofessional.

Seems inevitable, doesn't it! That being said, I would choose Peterborough staying up over Derby without blinking. Their worst crime (aside from that ridiculous pen against Lincoln) is whining, and they have not cheated us out of anything.

I will say this though - between the empty grounds and Derby's cheating, our season in the second tier is almost more tragedy than triumph if we can't get back there.

• I’m certain that as football’s moral compass, Peterborough will not want to benefit from this and will give their £7m (should it work out that way) to charity.

• I am awaiting their statement to say that they would not want to avoid relegation under these circumstances and desire to return to their rightful position in division 3.

• But if we hadn't fiddled them out of promotion, they would be in the Premier now chasing European qualification!

• And clearly would be 25m better off from the inevitable selling of Toney as a higher league player.

• Hopefully with a bit of luck we won't have to choose between Derby and Peterboro to go down. Throw in a bit of loss of form and wouldn't this be a sight to behold...

22nd Luton R
    23rd Peterborough R
    24th Derby R

You heard it here first ;)

• Let's leave this thread and ein

• Early start @LX1?

• @drcongo said:
    Early start @LX1?

Or an all day bender

• Reading the latest to join the deduction club. Six points now, six suspended. The Championship is a basket case.

• And yet they get Andy Carroll in ??

• Those two and Peterborough coming down would be nice.

• It's a wonder Reading haven't had a points deduction sooner. The Andy Carroll signing is a mystery for a club that was supposedly trying to cut their cloth by offloading average players on big wages. Reports of panic buying of sicknotes in Berkshire abound ahead of worries of shortages for the rest of this season.

• Just pleased we got GMac!

• Reading have been deducted six points for losing 57.8MGBP over a four year period, almost 20 million over the EFL's limit. It would be quite good fun if they got relegated.

• I think someone else said it but Reading, Derby and Peterborough is the dream isn't it?

• @eric_plant said:
    I think someone else said it but Reading, Derby and Peterborough is the dream isn't it?

Mine and finding a competition to pay my mortgage

• @eric_plant said:
    I think someone else said it but Reading, Derby and Peterborough is the dream isn't it?

Luton, Derby and Peterborough ;)

• @YorkshireBlue said:

@eric_plant said:

Luton, Derby and Peterborough ;)

That'd be the ideal combo for me too.

• Luton currently more likely up than down.

Wonder if the rules are different.

You have got a tax bill for £15m, return your card to the bottom of the deck, don't mention this again, blame EFL if any other players do.

• FFS, according to this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59358676 they owe HMRC £29.3m, a £20m loan from MSD Holdings (Michael Dell) and about £15m in trade & football creditors - a total of almost £65m and that ignores the money Morris pumped in over the years

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    FFS, according to this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59358676 they owe HMRC £29.3m, a £20m loan from MSD Holdings (Michael Dell) and about £15m in trade & football creditors - a total of almost £65m and that ignores the money Morris pumped in over the years

St John Ambulance owed 8k. FFS lads have a whip round the changing room and pay that one jees