Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• Always a huge day for Dev being able to discuss accountancy rather than football

• Always a huge day for Eric being able to discuss Dev rather than football

• I heard a rumour one league manager is well known to his club and the bookies for betting on football...bookies will no doubt dob him in at some point (when he starts winning too much) and club are happy to let it carry on while he's doing okay for them as they can either just pretend they didn't know about it....or I suppose they can 'find out about it' if things on the field start to fall apart. Nice to know gambling problems are still being taken so seriously by football clubs.

• @yorkyblue said:
    I can hear Mr Peterborough sharpening his pencil

Why do I feel that it is inevitable that Peterborough will survive this season only due to the points deduction for Derby, which, but for Morris’s (alleged) stalling tactics should have seen us survive last season.

• @bookertease, it's a sickening feeling that, I too, have felt. Hopefully we get to do the double over Peterborough next season anyway, which will act as a cure.

• L1 is going to look like the Championship at this rate. Imagine if we get promoted with Accrington and Wimbledon and were replaced by Derby, Reading and Forest!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I heard a rumour one league manager is well known to his club and the bookies for betting on football...bookies will no doubt dob him in at some point (when he starts winning too much) and club are happy to let it carry on while he's doing okay for them as they can either just pretend they didn't know about it....or I suppose they can 'find out about it' if things on the field start to fall apart. Nice to know gambling problems are still being taken so seriously by football clubs.

You've heard this "rumour", but the club believe that any future investigation into them will be fine as they can pretend they didn't know?

• @JohnBoy yup. And it is a rumour so no need to put 'rumour'. Do you find this 'hard to believe'?
    I would imagine unless they are using his account or asking him to email tips it would be quite simple for a good lawyer to establish they had no idea.
    Bookies also love a footballer/manager account as it helps them with odds and that...so I 'understand' .

• I think @JohnBoy’s point is if that you already know the rumour then plenty of other people will do too, and the club are going to find it hard to say they didn’t know about it.

• Precisely Chris.

• What a world we’d live in if every half rumour confidently repeated on the Gasroom were true.

• Shut it @floyd and leave me to my memories of Chris Greenacre's 112 Wanderers' goals in five seasons.

• @floyd said:
    What a world we’d live in if every half rumour confidently repeated on the Gasroom were true.

I've heard Ruth is coming back

• @Chris said:
    I think @JohnBoy’s point is if that you already know the rumour then plenty of other people will do too, and the club are going to find it hard to say they didn’t know about it.

I suppose so. It's not like anyone gets away with stuff for years and people turn a blind eye and say they had no idea despite quite common rumours.

• @Shev said:
    It was 88,000 views in the end. (to @micra's question about is this a Gasroom record?)

@micra said "That'll take some beating."

So, this thread has reached 88K views now!

• Unfortunately Derby have applied to have it depreciated down to 44K views.

• I'm in talks with them now. We expect the 18 appeals to be complete by 2023 at which point we will ask them what punishment they'd like.

• The way Derby are playing, they are going to avoid relegation unless the EFL tack on the additional 9.

• @Shev said:
    The way Derby are playing, they are going to avoid relegation unless the EFL tack on the additional 9.

There'll be another charge along soon don't worry

• I’m struggling with this because I want both Derby and Peterborough to get their dues after the last few seasons but more Peterborough after their PPG whining.
    However, I’d really quite like Derby to catch and pass Peterborough!
    Be lovely to wind them up with that.
    Perhaps Peterborough bottom, Derby 2nd bottom (with 21pts deducted) and Reading 3rd bottom with 9 pts deducted.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Shev said:
    The way Derby are playing, they are going to avoid relegation unless the EFL tack on the additional 9.

There'll be another charge along soon don't worry

Which will be appealed no doubt take months to resolve and then more months negotiating what penalty Derby are prepared to accept.

• Oh dear https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58814150

Can you believe a club would allow someone to hold their stadium as 'collateral' against them?!

• edited October 2021

Makes a mockery of any idea that it's down to covid or the EFLs fault for thwarting takeovers. They spend far more than they take and have done for years and borrowed from anyone who will lend, and the owner having increased spending doesn't want to cover it any more. Not sure they would have turned down any reasonable bids for players in the summer so if the ground isn't theirs and the squad isn't worth much all they have is debt.

• Now that it's clear this is no longer about Wycombe or Derby retaining a place in the Championship we should be able to have a less emotional debate.
    My own opinion is that, however much it hurt the fans and local business, the HMRC have a duty to exercise their preferential status as a creditor and reclaim the full £28M owed to them. Quote from the Daily Fail ..
    "Fed up with playing second fiddle to football creditors, such as rival clubs and former players, who are guaranteed full payment in an administration under EFL rules, the taxman reclaimed Crown Preference as part of the Finance Act 2020, which came into force in November".
    What was the point of HMRC reclaiming such status if, at the first opportunity, they cave in to pressure and accept a much lower figure in settlement (£10M has been reported)?

• A few weeks back, Kieran Maguire was postulating on the Price of Football podcast that the aggregate debts to HMRC, football creditors and MSD might mean that any potential bidder to take Derby out of administration might have to have a minimum £60m. And that for what might well be a 3rd Division club by the start of next season.

I'd be really worried, if I were a County fan.

• @Twizz said:
    Now that it's clear this is no longer about Wycombe or Derby retaining a place in the Championship we should be able to have a less emotional debate.
    My own opinion is that, however much it hurt the fans and local business, the HMRC have a duty to exercise their preferential status as a creditor and reclaim the full £28M owed to them. Quote from the Daily Fail ..
    "Fed up with playing second fiddle to football creditors, such as rival clubs and former players, who are guaranteed full payment in an administration under EFL rules, the taxman reclaimed Crown Preference as part of the Finance Act 2020, which came into force in November".
    What was the point of HMRC reclaiming such status if, at the first opportunity, they cave in to pressure and accept a much lower figure in settlement (£10M has been reported)?

I wasn't aware there was so much leway with fines, taxes , debt etc. It makes some sense if the alternative is bankruptcy , redundancies and nobody getting any money back but it' only shames the owners more for letting it get to this point whilst still spending extravegently. It's going to seem very suspect if they get bought out on the cheap by someone on the inside and carry on as they have been and I'm not sure the rules could stop them..

• Surely a phoenix club couldn't happen, its Derby after all, they are huge. And that is probably why they are in the sh1t they are in. Wake up Derby fans you are teetering.

And talking of Nero fiddling I caught a tweet from their local paper where fans were demanding answers from the Administrator about their transfer plans in January.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Surely a phoenix club couldn't happen, its Derby after all, they are huge. And that is probably why they are in the sh1t they are in. Wake up Derby fans you are teetering.

And talking of Nero fiddling I caught a tweet from their local paper where fans were demanding answers from the Administrator about their transfer plans in January.

Same thing at Barcelona on a bigger scale where people are asking why they don't hurry up and pay Koeman £15m to clear off because his weakened squad doesn't win every week.

• And we wonder why so many massive concerns dont pay taxes, so called wealth creators who fleece companies or pension schemes get knighted but make sure all the money is in their wife's name or siphoned off to tax havens while politicians make sure we (or those of us without a good accountant) get taxed to the hilt to pay for everything. If you're gonna do it...go big. Nick a tenner and you're up before the beak..defraud millions and it takes ten years to possibly suggest you might be a bit naughty and should try harder.

• I see they have lodged an appeal against their points deduction.