Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Calm down folks. First, Uche hasn’t actually left yet (though I admit it seems probable that he will), and second, how many of us had heard of him (or Muskwe for that matter) a year ago? Gaz and Dobbo spotted their talents and brought them to the club and I trust them to do likewise again, especially if they have funds available to buy. There’s still plenty of time for recruitment.

True on all.
    But we can't keep expecting miraculous signings.

Why not? Clubs are worried about finances due to covid and ffp and we're probably in better shape financially than we ever have been, different market slightly but gotta trust the team on their history

• The lack of success in recent years both in results and signings has obviously got people well down in the dumps. JJ told me it's a set of German officials for the England game tomorrow as well. Will the horror never end?

• edited July 2021

Speaking of clubs in difficult situations financially, Pierce Sweeney has just left Swindon by mutual consent the day after his contract began. It sounds like another Bury waiting to happen down there. This, basically:

They also reportedly owe rent on their ground dating back to April last year.

• Got a friend who's a lifelong Swindon fan who says he fully expects them start next season on -12 and highly likely to fall into non-league due to the complete carnage within the club. Sad state of affairs but they seem to have been a financial basket case as long as I can remember, back to when they were denied a place in the Premier League despite winning the play-off final due to financial irregularities.

• Just dreadful, just dreadful.

The EFL are simply unfit to govern.

• That's a pity but let's try not to go full Peterborough over this.

• Wycombe Wanderers
    @wwfcofficial
    ·
    5m

Chairboys will play the 2021/22 season in Sky Bet League 1 following the EFL's decision not to appeal the sanction imposed on Derby County by the Independent Disciplinary Commission.

Quote Tweet

EFL Communications
    @EFL_Comms
    · 6m
    EFL statement: Derby County sanction (written reasons).

EFL

https://efl.com/news/2021/july/efl-statement-derby-county-sanction

• It’s a garbage decision but at least it’s behind us now and we can properly prepare for life in L1. I doubt many of us expected the EFL to do the right thing anyway.

• Absolute jellyfish behaviour from the EFL, but can we really say we're remotely surprised?

• edited July 2021

I wonder what Rob’s next move will be. Does he start cranking up the pressure with regards to his threat of legal action.

• I did not realize how much hope I had left till my heart sank just now. Oh well - c'est la vie. At least we can plan now!

I love this club!

• Do we get our Revenge Tour season now?

• Let’s be glad it’s over. We’re going into a season in league 1 in the best position we ever have!

• The least the EFL should do, is to award Derby's
    100k fine to us, for pissing us about.

• Wayne Rooney’s Derby County win out then. Live to cheat and throw money against the wall for another season.

I know we might have benefited from the rightful punishment but the bottom line is another bigger club is allowed to break the rules and letting them do so only makes it more likely it will happen again.

• Spineless EFL Cheats get away with it again

• Let’s us concentrate on building a squad to push for League one promotion.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Got a friend who's a lifelong Swindon fan who says he fully expects them start next season on -12 and highly likely to fall into non-league due to the complete carnage within the club. Sad state of affairs but they seem to have been a financial basket case as long as I can remember, back to when they were denied a place in the Premier League despite winning the play-off final due to financial irregularities.

How many times have Swindon been on the brink of bankruptcy only to go on a spending spree the next season ? Has to be at least four times including a bizarre period with Willie Carson at the helm.
    Not like they haven’t had enough warnings if the worst does happen.

• First of all EFL come out with a release at 11.30 at night and then release their findings after work late on a Friday afternoon before the big England match.

Tells you they know how stupid this makes them look.

£200K for snooping on one training session, £100K for Derby's malfeasance.

For as long as our beautiful game is run by pond life nothing will change.

FIFA don't get corporate governance so why would we expect the EFL to be any different.

Quite an antidote for foreign investment if the market is rigged.

• I don't know how much I am blaming the EFL here. It seems like it is the independent panel that keeps insisting on a slap on the wrist.

• It’s bizarre to say the least. The cheating is in plain sight but they are saying they are not competent enough to enforce their own rules.

• Is anyone surprised? It's was like waiting for a new player richie guaranteed was on his way...

• You suspect our club got wind of this, hence Uche being sold the same day as this was made public.
    If we really thought we were staying up you dare say we'd have kept him.

That and Derby having 3 tv games in August.

At least we can plan around our games now and it's all done.

• I don't really understand why people are having a go at the EFL. They wanted a harsher punishment but have had to reluctantly concede that they have no grounds for appeal

• @eric_plant said:
    I don't really understand why people are having a go at the EFL. They wanted a harsher punishment but have had to reluctantly concede that they have no grounds for appeal

Spot on.

• The EFL are hopeless but that's nothing new and there is no sign of that changing any time soon.
    Not shocked, surprised, angry or worried by this decision at this stage but they've been all over the place on this and made a mockery of FFP efforts and governance of any kind.

• @Shev said:

@eric_plant said:
    I don't really understand why people are having a go at the EFL. They wanted a harsher punishment but have had to reluctantly concede that they have no grounds for appeal

Spot on.

They are not to blame for this specific outcome but as regulators of the league and architects of FFP they're a mess and a joke. Expect owners to ramp up efforts to take the piss and clubs to suffer.

• All this needs to finish this whole saga is Derby actually appealing the 100k fine!

• EFL initially accept accounts
    It’s pointed out that there are inconsistencies
    EFL send to disciplinary commission (DC)
    DC rule against EFL
    EFL appeal to League Arbitration Panel (LAP)
    LAP uphold parts of EFL appeal, refer this back to DC
    DC impose sanction and take time to issue written reasons
    EFL feel little/no chance of appeal against sanction succeeding based on written reasons

Not sure EFL could have done much more given the agreed set of rules clubs sign up to as part of being in an EFL competition.

DCFC now to resubmit accounts prepared against agreed accounting standards.
    If revised accounts break P&L rules EFL most likely will bring new charges which if proven, precedence states will result in sanction of points deduction. Depending on if/when this happens could apply 21/22 which might relegate DCFC or even 22/23 - which given DCFC performance could be starting in league 1 22/23 on negative points.

The fact that the financial irregularities took place for seasons we were not playing DCFC probably helps it feel ok to me. Let’s focus on our performance this coming season and get back into championship.