Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

How are Sheff We’d working it? They would have stayed up without the points deduction

I’m not sure there’s anything SW could do. They breached the rules. Had a sanction applied. Appealed. Had the sanction adjusted on appeal. Then played on knowing that decision and narrowly missed out on staying up even with the sanction.

I appreciate the fact that without a points deduction they would have survived, but their only claim could surely be that Derby, charged at the same time for financial irregularities, should have a points deduction in the same timeframe. Benefits WW but not SW, so they’re, rightly in my opinion, keeping quiet.

• @aloysius said:
    For what it's worth, a friend of mine who has friends within Derby's first team squad tells me they are all very concerned. The club aren't telling them anything, most of them think they're destined for League One this summer as a result and, given most of them have contracts which include significant pay cuts for relegation, they're almost in open mutiny. Wayne Rooney is being kept away from media over the Euros as they don't want him getting questions on Derby's plight...

Interesting to hear the Derby inside perspective a little.

• @NiceCarrots @Micra, you both appear to make the assumption we will benefit from this (play in the Championship) if we just wait in total uncertainty for long enough.
    I'm simply making the case for not waiting in uncertainty and anyway there is no guarantee we will benefit at all from Derby's plight. If you're happy to wait in uncertainty which can, in my opinion, only damage our prospects that's fine.

• I would doubt after all this time we will be going up...unless the EFL want to upset Peterborough again as well...

• To clarify, I do not assume the longer we wait the more likely we will benefit.

I think the exact opposite

• @carrickblue said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

How are Sheff We’d working it? They would have stayed up without the points deduction

I’m not sure there’s anything SW could do. They breached the rules. Had a sanction applied. Appealed. Had the sanction adjusted on appeal. Then played on knowing that decision and narrowly missed out on staying up even with the sanction.

I appreciate the fact that without a points deduction they would have survived, but their only claim could surely be that Derby, charged at the same time for financial irregularities, should have a points deduction in the same timeframe. Benefits WW but not SW, so they’re, rightly in my opinion, keeping quiet.

The question was more how does it work with players having relegation release / reduced wages clauses.

I'd be furious as a player if I had a relegation wage reduction kick in when I'd not necessarily had a stinker of a season, but it was the club being punished for financial shenanigans.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I would doubt after all this time we will be going up...unless the EFL want to upset Peterborough again as well...

It wouldn't be going up - it's be staying up surely?
    Unless you'd say we are league 1 the second the last season ends?

I think of it more as being we're championship until day 1 of the next season :)

• @NiceCarrots said:
    To clarify, I do not assume the longer we wait the more likely we will benefit.

I think the exact opposite

Yep.
    Fred gone, Uche heavily rumoured to have been sold.
    All the loanees not for a second contemplating staying with us in league 1.

• The only silver lining is that we tend to do a lot of business late anyway, and there may well be some desperate players as we get down to the end of the window. Could really use this EFL being worked out soon, though!

• @Shev said:
    The only silver lining is that we tend to do a lot of business late anyway, and there may well be some desperate players as we get down to the end of the window. Could really use this EFL being worked out soon, though!

If the powers that be did surprise us all and bump us back into the championship, we'd have one hell of a mission to find a goalscorer for that level!
    But at least we'd have the massive increase of funds again, so would deal with it.

• I understand that Mel Morris has had to put his hand in his pocket for yet another month to ensure that the playing staff at DCFC get paid as their lenders are not keen to forward further funds until their future (both of which league they will play in and sale of the club are resolved).

• Conversation

Frank Burrow
    @Francis_Burrow
    Breaking:
    The EFL are set to deduct Derby County 4 points from the season that has just finished. This would relegate Derby and Wycombe Wanderers would stay in the Championship. The EFL have won their cases against Derby.

DCFC #Wycombe #ChairBoys

I don’t believe it either

• Who the heck is Frank Burrow?

• 10secs of research shows it's some charlatan purporting to work for talk sport and the metro.
    He has 500 or so followers which would have to be the lowest in the world for a pro journalist.

Plus both talk sport and the metro have commented on his thread saying he doesn't work for them!

• As I said I don’t believe it. But I’m throwing it out there don’t get your hopes up

• Of course if he is right we can call it the who the heck is Frank Burrow season

• I can't imagine a guy lying about who he works for is particularly reliable.

• @Malone - sorry, misinterpreted your question. Yes relegation clauses will be interesting in the SW and potentially Derby situations.

• edited July 2021

Take this for what it's worth, but from the Luton forum:

"I had a very informal chat today with Joe Jacobson the seven year Wycombe left back. It does seem that behind the scenes things are moving with the EFL not yet confirming the programme for 2021-22 for the clubs. Derby could easily be deducted points..."

What does our Joe know? I can't tell if this poster means that JJ told him things are still moving, or if JJ just told him what we all know already, and the poster filled in the gaps with his own imagination.

• Do any of you techno whizz kids know how to post a picture of Kieran MacGuire pretending to read the chapter on Derby in The Price of Football 2nd edition?

The photo was posted on his twitter page on the 30th June.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could.

Yours in quarters.

• F.A.O Chris

Thanks very much indeed I really appreciate it, if ever we meet I'll buy you beer.

I've never owned mobile or sent a text so this was way beyond my skill set.

Thanks again.

• No worries!

• Calm down folks. First, Uche hasn’t actually left yet (though I admit it seems probable that he will), and second, how many of us had heard of him (or Muskwe for that matter) a year ago? Gaz and Dobbo spotted their talents and brought them to the club and I trust them to do likewise again, especially if they have funds available to buy. There’s still plenty of time for recruitment.

• Pretty sure most of us had heard of Uche a year ago and remember him from his Cambridge days.

• Another senior moment for me. It was meant to be in the Ickpeazu thread.

• Don't feel bad, I replied to it in this one!

• @glasshalffull said:
    Calm down folks. First, Uche hasn’t actually left yet (though I admit it seems probable that he will), and second, how many of us had heard of him (or Muskwe for that matter) a year ago? Gaz and Dobbo spotted their talents and brought them to the club and I trust them to do likewise again, especially if they have funds available to buy. There’s still plenty of time for recruitment.

True on all.
    But we can't keep expecting miraculous signings.

As for the JJ insider chat on the other forum, have yo chuckle.

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Calm down folks. First, Uche hasn’t actually left yet (though I admit it seems probable that he will), and second, how many of us had heard of him (or Muskwe for that matter) a year ago? Gaz and Dobbo spotted their talents and brought them to the club and I trust them to do likewise again, especially if they have funds available to buy. There’s still plenty of time for recruitment.

True on all.
    But we can't keep expecting miraculous signings.

I think we can. Brentford do it and it looks like that's going to be our strategy moving forward; it's the best way to be sustainable and successful as a club our size.

• Is miraculous the right word anyway? Uche was just the latest rough diamond Gaz and Dobbo identified as having great potential in our environment - and with our growing, improving recruitment team, I think we're only going to have even more success on that front. No one is irreplaceable.