Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• A very sad and sorry situation, albeit a fairly inevitable one given CK's track record of being a glorified "tyre kicker".

As ever the less self aware DCFC fans will blame everyone but the club and themselves and the ludicrous sense of entitlement.

• Pretty much the same one as 12 months ago. Maybe an interchangeable set of fixtures with… ? Solihull Moors? Northampton?

• I've got a few quid stashed away - actually 2 old round pound coins and 2 €0.20 pieces I use for supermarket trolleys - will that be enough to finance Derby for next season?

• A never-ending piss take. I feel for the fans, but this is becoming.... No... Became a joke a long long looooong time ago, and it can't carry on any more

• edited June 2022

It's an absolute embarrassment to football as a whole

• Thought you were planning to win the lottery this evening!

• Two other fan bases waiting on tenterhooks: Gillingham and Oldham. If Derby do go under, those two would stay up after all, I expect. No-one wants to stay up under the circumstances of another club ceasing to exist (unless it is MK), but those clubs need to be able to plan too.

• Don't be silly, that would be far too considerate of the EFL

• I wouldn't put is past the EFL to agree to letting Derby starting their season in January playing 23 games and calculating their final league position on PPG. I recall some tin pot club fiddling promotion to the Championship this way!!

• No chance the league have the balls to cast a club like Derby out.

Much easier kicking a minnow like Macc out.

• Is that any sort of prospect do you think?

Gills staying in our league would be great for me for family reasons.

(Add disclaimer about never wanting to see another club's fans punished blah blah)

• You can retract your disclaimer after 5 minutes on Twitter. 90% spreading blame and posting abuse, 10% discussing why they need to sign Adam Flint from Cardiff.

• Twice in four years we're building up to a League One season not knowing how many teams will be in the division. Utter piss-take.

• Whenever there's 23 teams in league 1 we get promoted though.

• If Derby went under before fixtures were released I could see a reprieve. It would just have to be soon!

• I can't remember the timings with 2 years ago, but assuming the fixtures had long been released before Bury disappeared?

Yet Bolton seemed to be in as big a mess if anything, yet were allowed to muck about and play a youth team for 4 or 5 weeks early season?

An easier first day win, where we won 2-0, yet probably should have won 7 or 8-0, with Pattison especially missing 3 or 4 great chances, we can't ever have had.

• https://twitter.com/efl_comms/status/1535955284102881283?s=21&t=j2lCHcZyHej39ie5sBVR2w

The key part seems to be this::

*As a result, the EFL has informed the Administrators that there will be a revision to the conditions attached to the suspension and the EFL is now to be made a party to all correspondence and discussions between the Administrators, and any and all potential bidders, with an acknowledgment that the League will be able to negotiate directly in relation to matters concerning the transfer of the share in the EFL.*

• Since the administrators have failed to find someone to purchase DCFC the EFL - known for their track record of sensible, timely decisions taken in the eat interests of football - now ask to be part of all discussions so they can truly f**k it up.

If I were a DCFC supporter I'd be even more worried by them getting involved than I was before.

• I see now why you sought technical advice @Twizz ! I think eat interests focus mainly on crisps, especially with the shortage of rapeseed oil.

• edited June 2022

I think they should be more worried now than they were before, not because I think the EFL are trying to get themselves involved, but because I think they are now tightening the noose around DCFC neck.

the threat to review the suspension of the notice to withdraw them from the football league and modification to the terms of that suspension to include being included in all comms, very much suggests to me they have a foot on the chair DCFC are standing on and anything they don’t like the sight of in terms of progression to a deal, and the chair gets kicked away.

• I think the EFL are trying to force the Administrators to speak with Mike Ashley which to date they have refused.

• edited June 2022

To a point yes, but I can see way the admin are refusing to speak with him. He’s trying to get a deal done on the cheap and avoid clearing all DCFC debts - debt which include the admins fees.

the admins aren’t a charity. Why on earth would they agree to no fee when they could liquidate whatever assets dcfc do have left (as a last resort) and get something (even if tiny).

I think people still think the admins are there to save DCFC. They aren’t. They are there to pay back who dcfc owe, including the admins themselves. Selling the club to clear the debts just might also save the club as a by product

• We're 100% getting Derby on the first day aren't we

• But at least we'll get an extra week of pre-season

• The Twitter algo knows exactly what it's doing here...

• @TheDancingYak the administrators were doing a pretty good job of failing to liquidate assets in January, so if they end up going unremunerated they will be more to blame than most of Derby’s creditors. It’ll be interesting to see what was going on behind the scenes when the dust finally settles.

• edited June 2022

To be fair, the problem dcfc had was the lack of assets in the first place. I called for them to be selling players (the most noticeable assets) but had those gone there really wasn’t anything left to sell.

the best chance of dcfc raising the most cash and existing was keeping the players and trying to sell the whole cake, rather than slices of.

• Do the fans not realise yet that the reason serious business people with serious intentions is because they are financially ****ed. No one knows the truth. Those who have seen the truth run a mile. There are too many fingers in pies. There is no way that the debt can be serviced.

Let's face it Wayne Rooney has enough cash and friends with even more cash to buy a Championship club, let alone a league 1 club. So why hasn't he. Cos people around him and people like Paul Stretford are too shrewd to get involved with this madness.

As for the EFL they had a chance 12 months ago to say enough is enough. Their procrastination has done nothing to resolve the situation. An unviable company was unviable a year ago and nothing has changed. Their wage will is still £1.6m a month (and if Mr Rooney is still on a wage DEFERAL @ £90k per week that figure is still a lot higher). It is what it is. It is a dead parrot. Sad for Derby fans although social media makes me feel slightly less sad for them as they are still deluded as to the cause of this issue and throw hate at anyone prepared to mention that they are not the victims they are complicit in their cheating.

• Overall, your analysis of the situation seems entirely plausible, @TheAndyGrahamFanClub but I struggled with your opening paragraph. The first sentence seems incomplete. The second and third sentences are surely contradictory ? Hard (impossible?) to argue though that they’re not, as you put it, financially fucked.