Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• I think Reading currently have about six players under contract for next season.

It's well documented just how badly Bristol City's finances are: £30m a season losses for three consecutive seasons. Very close to failing FFP.

Bassini & Birmingham City. A match made in heaven.......

There's three clubs in the dog muck already. If I was a betting man, I'd have a sizeable chunk of cash on Reading being relegated.

I think all of the newly promoted sides (Rotherham, Sunderland, Wigan) will comfortably stay up. The latter two could genuinely finish in the top half.

• When we played at the Mad Stad early last season, the Reading fan on RTBs said if they didn't go up soon they'd be in serious financial trouble. They've had two finishes closer to relegation since then!

• And all sorts of drama in the staff / board rooms.... Talented players like Olise sold for pittance £7m.

I bet Ejaria moves this summer. He's quality.

I'm sure Gaz and Dobbo are all over their youth prospects - planting the seeds to get players of sufficient talent into our development squad.

• edited June 2022

There have to be serious questions for the admins with real results. Either they are just incompetent (often the obvious answer) in which case their very presence is counter productive as they seem to be raising the debt and dragging them ever nearer bankruptcy rather than sorting anything out - in return for their generous fees of course, OR someone who has control there is blocking things, How can you see past Morris who appointed them, owns the only big asset under discussion privately, ran up all the debt, is in the middle of the tangled web and seems to be the only person holding out hope of getting sizeable return...Either way it's past time for other key creditors (Hello HMRC, or even MSD if they aren't just enjoying leaching) to excert their influence and get Quantuma out of there.

• If DCFC were a race horse they'd have been put out of their misery long long ago.

It's not great if you're a fan or business which is affected by the loss of 23 home games but honestly, in any other scenario, this would have ended months ago.

• edited June 2022

Hi all. As my username suggests I am Bristol City In Peace.

Sympathy aplenty for Wycombe- the fact that Derby seemed to get away with withholding accounts and you went down instead is fairly disgraceful- why the IDC could not have insisted on a quicker date of submission is also terrible, they thoroughly deserved their relegation and 21 point deduction for the range of offences they got- very little contrition from a good chunk of their fans too, still seem quite entitled and not able to gain goodwill which I would argue a club in their position surely require. Hope for a good strong Business Plan too if indeed they get out of the current mire- the fact that the EFL are considering letting them sign players with a loan is a joke- field the kids and only then some short term signings to make numbers up!

The other thing I wanted to mention- Bristol City. We have some difficulties FFP wise but unsure we are in the Reading category- we have not yet breached, certainly not lost £30m in 3 successive seasons! Remember too, FFP in 2019/20 is added and halved with some Covid deductions then and £2.5m or up to in 2021/22 as well- irrespective we are working hard to fall into line but I estimate the shortfall FFP wise to 2022/23 ie assessment date in 2022/23 or May 2023 at the latest to be £4-5m. If we don't turn it round we will get a points deduction commensurate with the breach- 4-5 pts- but we have an awful lot of players out of contracts come summer 2023 saving on wages and amortisation- some higher earners among them so our position is not as bad as stated and one good sale or couple of good sell on fees combined with further spending restraint would see us within £39m to 2022/23- the big challenge for me, thereafter with so many out of contract we can run more steadily again.

I might add, worth a look up- Stoke have made major losses but done some very creative things, creative tricks that I think the EFL need to push back on. Even if you accept their Covid losses as fully legit- and exclude them accordingly, as well as the add-backs (I don't- either for the Impairment wheeze or the transfer sale add-backs), I still see losses of £41m in 2 seasons, despite a combined profit £32m on stadium and training ground sale as well as years 2 and 3 (- Rebate) on Parachutes!

• beating off ex Newcastle owner Mike Ashley

Not a sentence I wanted to read just before going to bed.

• I wonder if this new guy has promised that the Administrators will be paid and that is why he has preferential status. Ashley, Appleby and the other won't put a penny extra than is required.

• He has already purchased the stadium, so could technically impose such a rent for matches so that other bidders find the overall ongoing costs too high so placing himself as the only realistic option/bidder

• I wish them all well but the £50m figure I keep seeing banded around doesn't seem anywhere near enough unless HMRC has decided to take a pennies in the £ deal. In which case someone should be fired

• If he already owns the stadium, is £50m not enough to cover HMRC, Middlesborough and the pay-day loans company?

• edited June 2022

What happened to our claim against them? Has that been dismissed or has it been settled? I hardly hear it being talked about anymore as a sticking point like it was previously?

• If they do manage to start next season that's a Netflix documentary subject in itself!!!

• We never made it a formal claim otherwise we would have had to define it as a football debt so it became sort of a 'here's what we want, lets chat' rather than a formal claim.

I've already seen some Derby fans spewing some hate in our direction along the lines of 'now we are back we are coming for you Wycombe'. Might be a bit premature as this guy has only bought the ground, which is what their previous buyer was hoping he was going to do too. So talk of 40 new players might still be premature.

• 1) LOL

2) A property developer owning the ground almost puts them in a worse position unless he buys the club as well.

• I quite enjoy being hated and if it’s by the supporters of a club that has less intrinsic value than a broken flip flop all the better.

• Quantuma are a shower of shit this would ironically probably all have been easier and quicker if nobody or only one party was interested. The fact that a few different parties were stringing them along and poking noses in has delayed everything.

If this guy is serious they should wrap this up quickly, if not clocks are ticking.

• The general narrative from Derby fans is that all other bidders were tyre kickers and should have made a bid 9 months ago. As opposed to their latest saviour who made a bid...

• edited June 2022

Well, it's a good thing the EFL/HMRC/Administrators/Rob Couhig/Vladimir Putin/Brian Clough/the RMT did not push another club to the wall, but it will be interesting to find out how they manage to pay off their creditors and still get the 40+ players Rooney needs to walk this league.

• Just announced on DCFC twitter that Rooney has asked to be relieved of his duties as first team manager with immediate effect

• Quick revision....as I've just heard he might have resigned...the 40 players the manager following Wayne Rooney will need to walk the league.

• Wouldn't be surprised if Kirchner promised a load that the new guy has laughed at.

Sorry, Difficult to take the TV clips seriously when they start by talking about him asking to be relieved

• Hilarious. I have no idea what the media will have to call Wayne Rooney's Derby County now

• Good to see Wayne bail at the first sign of having a tough season. Whatever happened to his loyalty...

• He's too good a coach for League One tbf

• One way to screw over a struggling club, jump at the last opportunity and leave then struggling to now recruit players and a manager. Seems like a lot of the new players will have a 2nd thought until the new manager has been signed. Well played Wayne, well played....

• My guess was sarcasm but to be fair I am not certain.

A good Talksport phone in starter to be fair.