Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• Derby City Council can borrow at very favourable interest rates as they are never going to default. They might think owning the stadium is a public good?

I think Nottingham City Council might own Forest’s stadium, they certainly used to own the land and they acted as bank guarantor for the the building of the Brian Clough stand following the European Cup wins.

• It's good that councils can borrow money for things that will be a public good. Makes you wonder why they don't borrow money for swimming pools, librarys, road improvements, policing, school renovations, all of which I would argue are public goods.

• It's all a mystery to we fans. Is it that MM won't lease the ground to CK because of a few cross words back in December? Is it that the club is fearful that fans, and quite a few have said as much, won't go to the ground as long as MM is benefitting from it in any way? Is it that wanting to lease now and buy later fits in better with CKs liquid assets and/or he has the liquid assets but has other plans for some of his money? Or something completely different? It'll all come out in the wash.

With regard to our dear neighbours, it is my understanding that the land is council owned and the dereliction on it is club owned ;)

• F.A.O Micra - the Trust board initially rejected the Couhigs in favour of the Dutch consortium and subsequently had to go back to the Couhigs whose advances they had initially (erroneously) rejected. The plaudits therefore should go to the Couhigs not to the pond life who initially rejected them.

• @NiceCarrots said:
    F.A.O Micra - the Trust board initially rejected the Couhigs in favour of the Dutch consortium and subsequently had to go back to the Couhigs whose advances they had initially (erroneously) rejected. The plaudits therefore should go to the Couhigs not to the pond life who initially rejected them.

Pond life needlessly abusive to people who guided our club through some very dark and difficult times. They may have got a lot of decisions wrong, but there wasn't a huge list of qualified and willing people queueing up to work weekends and nights for free to save the club.

• People offered to help both financially and professionally, lots and lots of people, their offers were rejected, perhaps if some of those offers had been accepted we wouldn't have been victims of the Great Training Ground Robbery.

The club pleaded poverty while rejecting offers of help financially so they could cut up the cake for themselves. F-A-C-T

Pondlife, is in my opinion, a polite term for these carpetbaggers who no doubt will be celebrating on Saturday with the windfall they've made on the Training Ground.

• @NiceCarrots said:
    People offered to help both financially and professionally, lots and lots of people, their offers were rejected, perhaps if some of those offers had been accepted we wouldn't have been victims of the Great Training Ground Robbery.

The club pleaded poverty while rejecting offers of help financially so they could cut up the cake for themselves. F-A-C-T

Pondlife, is in my opinion, a polite term for these carpetbaggers who no doubt will be celebrating on Saturday with the windfall they've made on the Training Ground.

You really can't seem to give the Couhigs any credit can you. Nor the people that managed to keep the club going when many would have given up

• @NiceCarrots said:
    People offered to help both financially and professionally, lots and lots of people, their offers were rejected, perhaps if some of those offers had been accepted we wouldn't have been victims of the Great Training Ground Robbery.

Writing F-A-C-T doesn't make it so. Present some actual evidence or stop being an arsehole.

The Trust in charge at the time when the Couhig's took over were not the ones who benefitted from any training ground windfall. That was Beeks wasn't it? Beeks was nowhere near the Trust board at the time of vetting candidates such as Bill Luby & Jim Collis, the Bergkamp consortium, and the Couhigs.

I refuse to believe hundreds of altruistic business moguls, football experts and wealthy benefactors of the High Wycombe area were selflessly queuing up to save the club, completely pro bono, and being denied, while we didn't have a pot to piss in.

You've made no secret of your bitterness at the trust, I can't remember the details but you were excluded from proceedings somehow. You just come across as a sad, twisted little individual who can't even enjoy what would be potentially the greatest day in history as a Wycombe supporter because of your personal grudges.

• @NiceCarrots said:

I’m case anyone is in any doubt, this is n-o-t-t-r-u-e. There wouldn’t have been a club for the Couhigs to buy if it wasn’t for the endless hours the Trust board put in.

• F.A.O Oxford Blue - if you want me to explain, I can do so on the phone.

I do agree with you on the timing. but if you want me to do so then I will.

• @NiceCarrots and VAR. You wait long enough and they always come around again! :smile:

• @NiceCarrots said:
    F.A.O Oxford Blue - if you want me to explain, I can do so on the phone.

Why would you want to throw accusations publicly, but only provide evidence in private?

• @OxfordBlue said:

@NiceCarrots said:
    F.A.O Oxford Blue - if you want me to explain, I can do so on the phone.

Why would you want to throw accusations publicly, but only provide evidence in private?

Probably because it’s BS.

• As @yorkyblue says, plus to do so publicly would lead to a possible libel suit especially if it is all of doubtful veracity & provenance.

• This really isn’t the right time for retrospective frustration and bitterness. Let’s celebrate the fact that all those other parties offering financial salvation were rejected. Impossible to believe that they would have been anywhere near as successful as the Couhigs have been. As Andrew Howard said about Gareth Ainsworth when he was appointed manager, the perfect fit. Ainsworth, Dobbo and the Couhigs - perfect fit.

• edited May 2022

Really weird backward arguing with very poor timing, we have no idea if Bergkamp and co would or wouldn't have been a better long term bet if they had been prepared to stump up much needed cash when asked, mostly because they weren't. Where did they take there solid vision next,and how did that work out?
    We've done extremely well with the Couhigs and I doubt to this point too many people have an issue with them coming in to a bankrupt club on the eve of covid lockdowns and taking us to the championship and the brink of doing it twice but I haven't surveyed everyone, I could be wrong but think people alleged you were on the board but wouldn't do much , although we all speculate nobody here has the insider info you claim to have yet it's all hints. I Certainly don't so I'm not sure if you are right , or particularly relevant.
    The topic is Derby who have done appallingly with much greater resources. If they are extremely lucky they will be in the same league as us next season.

• @StrongestTeam , if you're lucky, we won't be and here's one Ram who will be happy for you.

• Sorry, this is the tweet from BBC Derby for those who don't want to click the link:

BREAKING:

Rams commentator Ed Dawes says Chris Kirchner's deal to buy Derby is expected to collapse.

"There is a problem with closing this deal and huge frustration. When Alonso and Bin Zayed were asked to transfer proven funds they couldn't. Then it was over."

• Who could have seen that coming...

• Who's going to pay for Wayne's 40 summer signings now?

• As predictable as the sun coming up in the morning!

• The EFL announces Derby have only another two seasons to sort out their finances.

• Reading will be the next one along, fairly soon I imagine. Almost certainly if they get relegated this coming season.

Mel Morris has got a lot to answer for.

• Mike Ashley will now ride in on his white charger.

• I can see Derby's first friendly having to be a 6-a-side game (if it happens at all)

• Ashley will be fine with buying them for £1 and accepting the 15 point deduction for next season. He knows what he's doing and does not give a sh1t about the popular vote.

• Kirchner will be okay - he is just laid up with a stubbed toe from kicking tires too hard.

• Twitter already turning on CK. And the groundswell of love for Mike Ashley is also amusing.

Wayne Rooney surely must know enough millionaires alongs with Uncle Paul Stretford to buy this club he loves so much.