Skip to content

Match day thread: Swansea

Comments

• The only positive is that today won't cost us anything when all is said and done.
    But showed we're beginning to be able to play some good football.

Wonder what the chances are of keeping the three loanees next season. Probably a bit ropey, but we have plenty of other players who will be strong in league 1, plus any gems Gaz can pull out of the bag.

• edited April 2021

@railwaysteve, having Uche and Tafa out for half the season, when they'd clearly been designated as big players for us, was a huge blow.
    As was having Thompson and Gape out for the first month, meaning that with all due respect, we were putting out the likes of Bloomfield/Pattison, which was way too big a step for them.

It was classic sod's law that later in the season we've been awash with midfielders, to such an extent that Oforboh can barely get near it, and we had the luxury of seemingly ignoring Adeniran for months when fit.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Denis being AWOL for so much of the season is a huge mystery to me. He clearly is good enough so why the silence about him for so long.
    Would love to ham him back next year.

My reading of the situation was that Dennis sustained a niggly injury some months ago, came on as sub a couple of times after that but was never quite ‘right’.
    Some said he had a back problem. Anyone share that impression ?

Would be delighted if he signs for us next season As a Londoner who spent his teenage years with Fulham, he might welcome a move back south; equally, of course, Fulham might have an interest, especially if, as seems likely, they will be back in the Championship.

• Dennis and Curtis together in midfield is a thing of joy. Both fantastic footballers with slightly different styles, but both capable of doing the seemingly impossible. I would love to sign Adeniran permanently.

• You can see why teams often crack if they stay up that first season. Even with our low funds, I would have expected us to be even better next season had we been able to find a way to stay up.

• edited April 2021

@Shev said:
    You can see why teams often crack if they stay up that first season. Even with our low funds, I would have expected us to be even better next season had we been able to find a way to stay up.

Yep, just having all of our current squad fit would give us a strong chance now I think. Let alone with any targeted additions.

• Starting to get over the disappointment now of not winning and feel immense pride at how we performed today. This wasn't a resolute, backs to the wall effort. We really did have the look and swagger of a good Championship team.

I'm assuming Knight will be back in the Championship next season, but Adenarin and Muskwe I would think we've got every chance of keeping should GA choose. If so, we have the making of a very strong League 1 side.

• They said today that McCleary has sign for next season, hope he can perform like he has done today. Maybe benefitted from playing more centrally.

• @Shev said:
    You can see why teams often crack if they stay up that first season. Even with our low funds, I would have expected us to be even better next season had we been able to find a way to stay up.

You had me puzzled there @Shev until I sussed (I hope correctly) that you meant to say “...can see why teams often crack it if they stay up....” !

• To compare the two games at the start of the season in which we looked outclassed, to today and the recent Blackburn game shows how much we’ve progressed. I know (well I’ve heard) it’s easier when the pressure is off, but to produce that kind of performance at the end of a long, hard and frequently dispiriting (with our perceived bad luck with decisions) season was pretty impressive.

• @micra said:

@Shev said:

You had me puzzled there @Shev until I sussed (I hope correctly) that you meant to say “...can see why teams often crack it if they stay up....” !

Haha - I meant to write "crack on"!!!!

• It's games like this that convince me that in a few years time people will view this season as a massive missed opportunity. I think we do have the players that were always good enough to keep us up but had a manager that didn't know his best 11 or even his preferred formation. If only we'd have been in a position to have brought in a manager with some experience at this level around Christmas time, which I'm sure is what any 'big' club would have done, or any club with serious ambitions to establish themselves at this level. I wonder when, or if, we'll get an opportunity like that again.

• @Doob said:
    It's games like this that convince me that in a few years time people will view this season as a massive missed opportunity. I think we do have the players that were always good enough to keep us up but had a manager that didn't know his best 11 or even his preferred formation. If only we'd have been in a position to have brought in a manager with some experience at this level around Christmas time, which I'm sure is what any 'big' club would have done, or any club with serious ambitions to establish themselves at this level. I wonder when, or if, we'll get an opportunity like that again.

We had to play Charles, Bloomfield, Pattison, Parker, Samuel, Bayo a lot more regularly than we'd planned at the start of the season, so I don't agree with your point about the players "always" being good enough.

We basically gave every other team a 6 week ahead start, until we started resolving big issues by bringing in Knight and Adeniran. But we still had Tafa and Uche missing.

If we'd started the season with the squad we have now, and also the know how I think we'd have a lot more chance of staying up.

• Next season then in League 1 , what are the chances of getting the pitch back to its original dimensions? And would the players we have benefit from doing so?

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Next season then in League 1 , what are the chances of getting the pitch back to its original dimensions? And would the players we have benefit from doing so?

I for one hope so

• Change the manager who has won two promotions on one of the smallest budgets in the EFL? Great idea.

• It is a missed opportunity, but one with massive caveats. I don't blame the manager or the players. So many things were either a learning process, or outside our control.

• @Doob: I’m sorry but I’m horrified by the suggestion, the mere idea, that we should have brought in a different manager around Christmas time if we’d been in a position to do so. Gareth Ainsworth has worked absolute wonders in extremely difficult circumstances and anyone with even the slightest grasp of the extent to which he, Richard Dobson and crew have transformed the whole ethos at the club would understand just how important they are.

I don’t know if you watched today’s game but, if you did, I’m sure you would acknowledge that we have come a hell of a long way since the time when, with questionable hindsight, you would have given him Gareth and ‘Dobbo’ the boot.

• edited April 2021

It's positive to always be thinking about pushing on.
    But you have to be sensible.

A pandemic year, punching well above our weight, after the years of great work from Gareth, and to even be talking about sacking him midseason is just horrible.

• Please omit “him” from last sentence!

• Even for the Gasroom that’s an extraordinary comment.

• edited April 2021

@micra said:
    Please omit “him” from last sentence!

Thought you were making some bizarre social commentary on me referring to a man as him for a second ;)

• Yep sorry @Doob but I respectfully disagree with pretty much all of that. At the start of the season, with key players injured and very little preparation time we absolutely did not have a competitive team at this level.

Slowly however, with the manager and players learning the division and good quality recruits we started to improve. The Covid break then clearly affected the side just at a time we were beginning to find our feet. Several of our poorest performances followed immediately after that and unfortunately it coincided with key matches against sides just above us. Since then, we've improved rapidly and we're now at a stage where we're looking a very decent Championship team. Too late now of course. Hard not to feel proud though when you compare our recent performances against Blackburn, Rotherham and Swansea to those against them at the start of the season.

Short of staying up, what I wanted from the season was to see a team and manager adapt, develop and improve during what was always going to be an incredibly difficult task. And I would have to say, they have absolutely delivered on that.

• Just think how much Gaz and Dobbo have learned this year. We’ll be unstoppable next year.

• edited April 2021

@floyd said:
    Even for the Gasroom that’s an extraordinary comment.

Presume you mean Doob's post, not @micra's latest wackiness :)

• @Malone said:

@floyd said:
    Even for the Gasroom that’s an extraordinary comment.

Presume you mean Doob's post, not @micra's latest wackiness :)

Absolutely. @micra’s wackiness is what keeps me coming back.

• This season was unique for many reasons. Pay off management team and buy in another management team 'with experience' at christmas? Madness in my opinion. Great learning curve...roll on next season with this manager and players!

• @Wendoverman said:
    This season was unique for many reasons. Pay off management team and buy in another management team 'with experience' at christmas? Madness in my opinion. Great learning curve...roll on next season with this manager and players!

I just really hope we start strongly next season so we don't see similar comments!

• A friend just sent over some mottoes from a Portuguese bar wall, here is a quick example of tone of a couple of them which might fit our current collective mood:

"Coffee to change the things I can; wine to accept what I can’t."

"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of wine."

There are no football ones and it has been a rollercoaster of a day, so I want to try out a couple of drafts on the gasroom which brims with talent in this field. Improve or suggest as you wish. Wine could be substitiuted for beer according to taste.

"Football is a cruel game, solace resides in beer. The absence of solace is totally unacceptable."

"Football is the beautiful game and beer glass is the lens through which its beauty is truly celebrated. The absence of beer to celebrate beauty is totally unacceptable."

• So have we - The Gasroom - accepted relegation?
    I'm pretty certain that, however slim our chances still are, GA & Dobbo haven't yet given up the fight.
    We still have 12 points to play for and will look to be winning the next 4 games.
    We have, hopefully, at least 1 more game before relegation is mathematically certain. Where's the belief gone?