Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

Comments

• You know we’re struggling when Matt Cecil sounds this fed up.

• Subs in the 84 minute. Come on , you must be having a laugh. What can they do in 6 minutes!!!

• Keeping the positive hat on...but it's very hard to see how those subs are going to get us back into this.

• We do have many players these days more than capable of playing football. We can't keep constantly hoofing it forward and hoping for the best. We can do it!!! I've seen it!!! Why do we never trust ourselves to deviate from lumping it forward ?

• As frustrated as I’ve been after a defeat so far. We look totally knackered, out of ideas, and apart from a brief burst at the start of the half, very poor.

• A really frustrating watch that.

• That's the most disappointed I have been in GA and this team. One sub before 84 minutes, despite nothing working, and a complete lack of composure on the ball for 90 mins. I love them all, but this is dreadful. We are losing games we should draw and drawing games we should win.

• The only positive to take from that is no more apparent injuries - really dreadful performance start to finish. That is why we simply HAVE to win games when we play like we did on Saturday. 7 (?) games without a win now - Coventry on Saturday who are 6 games unbeaten and 7 points ahead of us currently. Dare I say huge six pointer...?

• Really, really poor. Outmuscled, out-thought, outplayed. Very disappointed by that.

• Piss poor that. Nothing but lumping it all night. Really grim.

• now that was abysmal , we do not look like scoring; negative and the ball is in the air 99% of our attacks

• That was an ugly game of football. From both teams. We seem to be unable to play better than the opposition, however lacklustre they are.

• Barnsley the better team but knackered players staying on and late subs for us disappointing. I have to say Bayo was looking better in a 433 for first 20 of second half.

• I think the trouble is that Barnsley are a fairly similar kind of team to us but with better quality players.

• Very Inept... going straight back down with performances like that.

• Here's another thing - with Bayo not playing well, why not take him off at halftime even to keep him ready for Saturday? Mind you, based on this, I am hoping we radically alter how we approach things.

• edited December 2020

Hard not to be concerned about how much we're putting Bayo through. He had his game of the season on Saturday, but he wasn't in a fit state to start tonight. Hindsight...

• That was as poor as I've seen us this season. Never seem to try and switch things about when it obviously isn't working. That said, Barnsley were very well organised and totally deserved the win.

• Utterly dire showing - too many starting players look shattered, the only players who come out of that with any credit are Allsop, Grimmer and Knight

• At this point we might as well try the Nick Freemans and Josh Parkers of the world.

• At least with this crammed schedule we can instantly forget displays like this and focus on the next one.

• Our first touch always looks like we are juggling fire over a lava pit.

• If Uche is totally shot then we must get a replacement in January to share the load with Bayo.

• Championship football you say? That was as horrendous as our last few Tuesday night home games against Barnet.
    For as bad, injury ridden and tired as we were to lose to a soft penalty is frustrating to say the least.
    Missed Stewart and Thompson badly and for all this attacking talent on the pitch we rarely get them the ball and it leaves us defensively ouf if shape.

• Derby drawing & Forest losing means we havent lost touch with them & Rotherham, though Coventry have some clear space above that

• That’s the worst we’ve played all season I think. Kind of understandable given our injuries, but we had 17 shots on goal on Saturday playing it on the ground with almost the same team. Tonight we’re up against a team with 3 absolute giants at the back and we just keep punting it long. I simply don’t understand that.

• The only consolation is that they would have scored had the soft penalty not been given, so it could have benefitted us.

• What's even more frustrating is that with Forest and Rotherham on appalling form, a win tonight would have taken us up to 20th. Injuries and tiredness are obviously factors but failure to adapt tactics is killing us.

• That was us at our very worst tonight. I do appreciate it was a disjointed side, missing players, but it was dreadful stuff. Can't really take any positives from that, not sure a single player could claim to have had a good game.

Barnsley looked overwhelmingly superior without particularly impressing. Not really sure what we were trying to do, we didn't seem to make any effort to break them down other than hopeful long balls. Frustrating because we're so much better than that.

We need to freshen things up on Saturday for sure.