Skip to content

Match day thread: Preston

Comments

• @aloysius said:
    I wouldn't be surprised to see us pay off a contract or two in Jan @chairboyscentral. Maybe Parker, maybe Charles.

Racist ?

• Who would be a football manager, eh? Gareth Ainsworth has often been criticised for encouraging players to be too defensive and cynical when protecting a lead, now he’s accused of naive tactics for having too many players in attacking positions. I think Commoner makes a good point about us not seeing the game out well enough on Saturday, but that was not necessarily the manager’s fault.

• @bigred87 said:

@aloysius said:
    I wouldn't be surprised to see us pay off a contract or two in Jan @chairboyscentral. Maybe Parker, maybe Charles.

Racist ?

Does 87 refer to your birth year out of interest, or one of your kids?

• @bigred87 a very grown up response

• This thread is getting very weird

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:
    I think there's definitely a risk he doesn't play for us again.

Presuming no-one is back from injury and Stewart is also out, if on Wednesday we choose to take McCarthy out of the injury hit midfield and move him into defence, instead of playing Charles, the writing will really be on the wall I think.

McCarthy is above him in the CB pecking order, I'm very reliably told - and Grimmer would seem to be above McCarthy.

Quite a drop from grace from being someone we were scared about missing the occasional midweek game last season, to now being 6th choice?!

A difficult situation for Charles as he knows he has limited time left in the game, but surely won't find a set up as understanding as ours.

But you'd probably want to play while you still can though? Even if it's elsewhere.

• Charles will have his part to play this season I'm sure. No guarantees we are even keeping Knight yet.

• edited December 2020

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:
    I think there's definitely a risk he doesn't play for us again.

Presuming no-one is back from injury and Stewart is also out, if on Wednesday we choose to take McCarthy out of the injury hit midfield and move him into defence, instead of playing Charles, the writing will really be on the wall I think.

McCarthy is above him in the CB pecking order, I'm very reliably told - and Grimmer would seem to be above McCarthy.

Quite a drop from grace from being someone we were scared about missing the occasional midweek game last season, to now being 6th choice?!

A difficult situation for Charles as he knows he has limited time left in the game, but surely won't find a set up as understanding as ours.

But you'd probably want to play while you still can though? Even if it's elsewhere.

That was the case a few weeks ago anyway - that he was below McCarthy. But you have to say he looked off the pace in the games he did play - through no fault of his own, clearly.

• @aloysius mabye i could of worded it better, the world we live in there's always gonna be one twat with no life looking for something to jump on... but you preaching pc crap about people you have no idea about needs to be pulled up. Im waiting for a apology for being called a racist still.

• It’s pace that is Charles’s challenge.

He was exploited a lot in the first few games culminating for with a red for a pull back when he’d lost his man for speed.

I love the guy and have really enjoyed watching him play. His calmness in League One was astounding at times, he needs to bring that with him into the Championship. I would still like to see him get games if we can play with other speedy defenders around him. If Jacobson is out for example.

• @Malone said:

Trying to make light of being called a racist... bit of cheap humour

• @bigred87 said:

@Malone said:

Trying to make light of being called a racist... bit of cheap humour

I got that.
    I was just interested in your age range as I know someone who ticked at least 3 of those things you mentioned but can't believe it's him ranting on here :)

• 33.. im sure other's would 'rant' for being called a racist homophobic

• I can’t claim to have the kind of eye for detail or the tactical nous that @Commoner demonstrates in his analysis of why it all went wrong yesterday but, on one point, I am fairly clear. Fred had run himself into the ground and was looking knackered when he was substituted. He was also limping.

Same with Bayo but, with hindsight, there was probably an argument for keeping him on without expecting him to do more than amble around centrally and well forward to keep a couple of defenders occupied.

• @bigred87 said:
    33.. im sure other's would 'rant' for being called a racist homophobic

They probably would.
    If they hadn't used a word associated with one of those areas.

• edited December 2020

@Malone said:

@bigred87 said:
    33.. im sure other's would 'rant' for being called a racist homophobic

They probably would.
    If they hadn't used a word that is often associated with one of those areas.

But you'll know better next time :)

It looked like Stewart just got his foot trodden on - hard enough to force him off, but I'm hoping it was just a case of not being able to carry on immediately and he'll be fine for Wednesday. Everything crossed though.

I hope I’m wrong but it looked to me like Stewart hyperextended his knee slightly

• It definitely looked on the worrying side of the scale.
    Would you call a physio on just for being trodden on?

But then he did try and play on, which he realised almost immediately was impossible.

• edited December 2020

We could recall Phillips if Aldershot agree. I don't think we've got a recall clause or I'm sure he'd have come back. So that potentially leaves us with Knight and Burley as the only 'by trade' CBs for Barnsley.

• @Malone said:
    It definitely looked on the worrying side of the scale.

But then he did try and play on, which he realised almost immediately was impossible.

Ainsworth in his post-match interview said Stewart has "tweaked his knee" which coming from GA who isn't a fan of dishing out injury information does not sound like great news.

• Is Taf injured too?

• I'm hoping that the word "tweak" is the key word there.
    Although anything knee related is always worrying.

• @drcongo said:
    Is Taf injured too?

Can only assume so.

We've done brilliantly do deal with him being out. Whereas Uche being out has been a major blow.

• Yeah, Taf is still injured

Yeah, Taf is still injured

It's the flood of midweek games that makes these injuries seem even longer isn't it!

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Yeah, Taf is still injured

It's the flood of midweek games that makes these injuries seem even longer isn't it!

Yeah, he was in the squad as recently as Forest so might have only got injured a few weeks ago!

• @Brownie said:

@Malone said:
    It definitely looked on the worrying side of the scale.

Ainsworth in his post-match interview said Stewart has "tweaked his knee" which coming from GA who isn't a fan of dishing out injury information does not sound like great news.

Millwall and Colchester fans were heard booing following this announcement

• Gareth said he hopes to have Stewart back on Wednesday.

• Given Gareths history on injury updates that'll be a no then!?