Skip to content

Match day thread: Preston

Comments

• those wouldn't be my choice of words - particularly on rainbow laces weekend.

I was wondering what Paul Hyde would have done in the same situation. I reckon he'd have come with hands high and caught or punched it, but also made sure to leave a knee in on the striker.

• I enjoyed yesterday, and it reaffirmed my belief that Horgan and McLeary are the two standout Championship quality players we have. We must find a way of getting them both in the starting line up and playing in a way that allows them to influence the game

• @bigred87 said:
    Watched the highlights, Rocky's attempt for the first goal is fairy like....

@bigred87 cut out the homophobia please. Allsop had to make official complaints about similar language last season. That was from opposition fans. Shame on you for using terms like this about anyone, let alone our own keeper.

• At least we're all now whinging about not winning a game we should have.
    A lot different to some of the earlier games.

Roll on Wednesday

• @eric_plant said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Yeah, what on earth is McCarthy supposed to do differently for the OG?

Not slice it into his own net?

You seriously think he was at fault? It's a wicked cross that clips off Grimmer, leaving him with zero time to readjust and try to clear it with his left foot.

• @aloysius grow up you fucking weasel, you've called me out for being a racist before, that didnt work now im being
    homophobic saying Rocky's attempt was fairy like, as in he floated out weakly like a fairy!.... if i said he was a faggot or a queer you might be on to something. Your p.c crap isn't working now fuck off you moron.

• I"d have probably just left that as saying you meant "weak" there @bigred87!!

• If you don't want to be called homophobic @bigred87 , you'll probably want to stop using the language used as an insult by homophobes to insult others.

• Not at all, I've been called a racist by this prick (im married to a black woman and have mixed race children).. now im getting called a homophobic.. i lost a gay friend to cancer during lockdown and never got to say bye, i work for a married gay couple. Im one of the most liberal people i know i encourage equality and equal rights for all. To say it's touched a nerve would be putting it lightly.

• Back to the game, that was in some ways a pretty infuriating and frustrating game for us as they looked most dangerous when we gifted them the first goal, and they got incredibly lucky for the second.
    Though the fact this was infuriating and frustrating is a sign of how far we've come since the Blackburn game where there was a weary sense of foreboding for a season that stretched a very long way ahead of us. We're going into games looking to impose our way of playing on the opposition and get the most of out the resources we have, and have from being glad of any points we can get to being gutted when we don't get all three points.
    There is a lot of football still to be played, and with a bit of luck on the injuries front and keeping up the physical and mental strength needed to sustain the way we play, I really think we can survive this season.

• Unfortunately @bigred87 there are a lot of keyboard warriors/ experts on here who, in my experience of life, if you were to confront face to face would run a mile and say nothing

• edited December 2020

@HolmerBlue said:
    Unfortunately @bigred87 there are a lot of keyboard warriors/ experts on here who, in my experience of life, if you were to confront face to face would run a mile and say nothing

Yeah like fairies...right lads?

• Maybe this married gay couple you work for would benefit from getting you some equality and diversity training, @bigred87. If you shouted at Rocky that he was "fairy-like" you'd be lucky to stay in the ground. Stick to words like weak in the future. I'm assuming the 87 in your username means you're 33 years old. That's old enough to know that words you use matter, even if you don't think of yourself as a bigoted person.

• If these things really do even out over a season we’re in for an extraordinary run of good luck soon.

• @floyd said:
    If these things really do even out over a season we’re in for an extraordinary run of good luck soon.

The goal that keeps us up is going to go in off a partridge - our very own beach ball incident.

• Ainsworth's Wycombe have done sequences than most in the past.

We did the defeats at the beginning of this season and then moved into the land of unlucky defeats, we followed this by a trip though the country of draws which yesterday reached well into the zone of unlucky draws.

A glorious win against Coventry would seem to be in the tea leaves.

• edited December 2020

@bigred87 You might not have intended to be homophobic, but calling someone fairylike is homophobic language. It’s fine, everyone makes mistakes, gets things wrong. The best thing to do is learn from it, move on and use a different word in the future.

• @drcongo said:

Why was he taken off and Kashket left on to play that role? We all know Kashket cannot defend and gets out of position.

By my count Kashket made at least three absolutely superb defensive interceptions at the

Are you telling me that you are happy that with 3 minutes to go and we’re leading that Bloomfield & Kashket are 10 yards beyond Samuel?

Then Freeman makes matters worse by going in to win a ball with Kashket and Samuel trying to win it?

This ends up with 5 of our players the wrong side of the ball!

They completely cut us apart. JJ has to get dragged out, Grimmer has to follow which ends up pulling Knight out of position.

My point was that Fred had been so disciplined on that left hand side, I cannot understand why we took him off and moved Kashket to the left.

Perhaps Ainsworth instructions were for Kashket & Bloomfield to bomb on in front of Samuel when he had the ball. If so, that’s naive and has cost us two points. I would hope they were not the instructions and if so then the players lack of discipline has cost us two points.

We’ve really found a way to potentially win matches which we had no right to do so and it’s our own mistakes that are letting teams back in rather than moments of brilliance from the opposition.

Hopefully if we get the chance to close out a game again we will be a bit more disciplined.

We just seem to be making some very strange tactical decisions at the minute.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@floyd said:
    If these things really do even out over a season we’re in for an extraordinary run of good luck soon.

The goal that keeps us up is going to go in off a partridge - our very own beach ball incident.

Got to be a Red Kite for me (odds are better for it not being on the ground)

• @bookertease said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@floyd said:

Got to be a Red Kite for me (odds are better for it not being on the ground)

Quality avian pedantry is a true treat - hats off.

• @Commoner said:

@drcongo said:

Why was he taken off and Kashket left on to play that role? We all know Kashket cannot defend and gets out of position.

By my count Kashket made at least three absolutely superb defensive interceptions at the

Are you telling me that you are happy that with 3 minutes to go and we’re leading that Bloomfield & Kashket are 10 yards beyond Samuel?

Then Freeman makes matters worse by going in to win a ball with Kashket and Samuel trying to win it?

This ends up with 5 of our players the wrong side of the ball!

They completely cut us apart. JJ has to get dragged out, Grimmer has to follow which ends up pulling Knight out of position.

My point was that Fred had been so disciplined on that left hand side, I cannot understand why we took him off and moved Kashket to the left.

Perhaps Ainsworth instructions were for Kashket & Bloomfield to bomb on in front of Samuel when he had the ball. If so, that’s naive and has cost us two points. I would hope they were not the instructions and if so then the players lack of discipline has cost us two points.

We’ve really found a way to potentially win matches which we had no right to do so and it’s our own mistakes that are letting teams back in rather than moments of brilliance from the opposition.

Hopefully if we get the chance to close out a game again we will be a bit more disciplined.

We just seem to be making some very strange tactical decisions at the minute.

@drcongo didn't say he was happy though did he? Merely responded to part of your comment, that Kashket can't defend & pointed out by his reckoning that he made at least three valuable interceptions/blocks when defending.

• edited December 2020

Frustrating to only get a point yesterday, even with half the first team out injured. That says it all about how far we've come

Provided Stewart isn't long term, and the others start coming back, this is the first time I've genuinely felt like we could stay up.

I've no idea of our financial situation, but if there's any striker available for a fee that we can actually afford long-term, that GA thinks will get 10 goals from January onwards, we've got to go for it. It feels so close to being achievable

• @Username I'm still not convinced we need a striker - the sitter that Kashket missed yesterday was very unlike him. Keep creating like that volume of good chances and we'll score enough. I'd maybe look at a target man on loan if Uche still isn't right / we just don't want to leave ourselves short again after his injury problems, but there are enough goals in this team with greater creativity.

Also, can we even sign anyone permanently without offloading someone permanently? If we loan someone out to free up a squad space, aren't they technically still registered as a Wycombe player?

• I wouldn't be surprised to see us pay off a contract or two in Jan @chairboyscentral. Maybe Parker, maybe Charles.

• Ludicrous to suggest we'd pay Charles off. He could well start on Weds if fit ffs.

• Vokes might want a break from Stoke fans until the new season.

• I don't think it's that ludicrous, I wouldn't be surprised if Charles never played for us again.

• edited December 2020

I think there's definitely a risk he doesn't play for us again.

Presuming no-one is back from injury and Stewart is also out, if on Wednesday we choose to take McCarthy out of the injury hit midfield and move him into defence, instead of playing Charles, the writing will really be on the wall I think.

• It looked like Stewart just got his foot trodden on - hard enough to force him off, but I'm hoping it was just a case of not being able to carry on immediately and he'll be fine for Wednesday. Everything crossed though.

• edited December 2020

@Malone said:
    I think there's definitely a risk he doesn't play for us again.

Presuming no-one is back from injury and Stewart is also out, if on Wednesday we choose to take McCarthy out of the injury hit midfield and move him into defence, instead of playing Charles, the writing will really be on the wall I think.

McCarthy is above him in the CB pecking order, I'm very reliably told - and Grimmer would seem to be above McCarthy.