Skip to content

Match day thread: Preston

Comments

• edited December 2020

They must be dangerously close to being outside the playoffs on PPG.

• A real neutral’s game that. Very entertaining end to end stuff and much improved performance from Bayo, today’s inspirational skipper. Yet another terrific performance from Anthony Stewart after his less assured performance against Stoke and I hope his injury is not serious.
    Fred covered an enormous amount of ground and headed off the line at one point in the first half to prevent a certain goal.
    Samuel? Hmmmm.

This post is intended to counteract my less complimentary comments about the four of them after the frustration of the Stoke game. Overall, I think a draw was a fair outcome but we were clearly the better team in the second half.

We mustn’t forget either that Preston had a day longer to get their breath back after the midweek games.

• @bigred87 said:
    Of course McCarthy is to blame for the og, and McCarthy, Knight and more than anyone else Rocky are to blame for the first. Im off to exercise that was a stressful game.

Wrong on both points. Hope your exercise goes better and you get around safely

• @Chris said:

Oh, they are outside the play-offs on PPG.

• Good performance. Disappointed that we couldn’t take the three points. We are now very much in games but somehow need to turn this type of performance into wins. Plenty of games left but somehow we need to win probably 10-12 games to stay up.

• If the teams around them win their games in hand Swann United drop quite a few places. Not that I am reduced to gloating in any way!

• @micra said:

>

We mustn’t forget either that Preston had a day longer to get their breath back after the midweek games.

To this point, is there a reason, apart from luck of the draw, that out midweeks are on Wednesday?

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Chris said:

Oh, they are outside the play-offs on PPG.

Someone should tell our friend.

• Not a tough finish. But as their striker showed missing can be a habit so hitting that one in and being in the right place to receive it was a big moment for him.

@Malone said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    McCarthy a good shout for MoM even with his unfortunate og
    First half we were impotent. Second half much better. @glasshalffull called it right about Kashket and confidence. Misses a couple but when a tough finish comes his way he nails it. Just love him.
    Before the game 2-2 I would have taken it. Also with McCleary getting off the mark. But it feels a bit of a miss as Preston were not good.

Agreed...but a ball rolling gently to him with an open goal from 6 yards out is not what i'd call a tough finish?!

• Almost the first thing Samuel did when coming on was throw himself to the ground and try and con the ref into giving us a free kick. The ref was perfectly positioned and played on. Then he tries it again and loses possession that leads to the second goal.
    Refs seem to have his card marked, not quite sure how he levels his diving with his faith.

• Careful what you say about Samuel diving , you’ll have @glasshalffull on your back

• What a crazy game! Hard to know what to feel, should've won, but could easily have lost at the end. Certainly beforehand with the patched up line up I'd have taken a point.

I thought in the first half we showed some promise and if we could impose ourselves, we had a real chance and that's exactly what happened. We were dominant and missed a whole host of chances before Kashket eventually gave us a deserved lead.

The Samuel debate is an interesting one. He did some good stuff when he came on, but again was too eager to go to ground. I actually thought he was well tackled in the lead up to the equaliser. The one that really frustrated me was right at the end when he had the ball in the corner flag. He just needed to stay on his feet and try and win a corner, but instead went to ground in an attempt to win a free kick he was never going to get. Incredibly frustrating from the position he was in.

• Gutting in the end , expensive names but there for the taking again and very unlucky, but we're still insight of others, injuries aren't helping and will have contributed to the mistakes. Maybe a bit quick for once to make changes. Samuel needs to get back to getting to the ball first or shielding it better if he wants fouls, him and Kashket are too obvious at playing for fouls and the refs either are a bit better at this aspect at this level or just know everyone is watching so are more reluctant.

• @micra said:
    A real neutral’s game that. Very entertaining end to end stuff and much improved performance from Bayo, today’s inspirational skipper. Yet another terrific performance from Anthony Stewart after his less assured performance against Stoke and I hope his injury is not serious.
    Fred covered an enormous amount of ground and headed off the line at one point in the first half to prevent a certain goal.
    Samuel? Hmmmm.

This post is intended to counteract my less complimentary comments about the four of them after the frustration of the Stoke game. Overall, I think a draw was a fair outcome but we were clearly the better team in the second half.

I agree with all of the above, thanks @micra

To be positive about Samuel - he has had considerable success with hold up play in the past, both harrying and frustrating opposition defenders. On two occasions in two games it looks like he has prioritised gaining a foul. Today, we would have been pleased if he had won one. He didn't and there were other options, it was true that holding the ball up alone was not as important as it normally is. I am sure he will learn from it, playing with Freeman and McCleary is different. I think he will play a part in us staying up.

• I thought Kashket’s sudden mystery injuries at the end looked a bit convenient, too.

• Samuel was well tackled but shouldn't have been in a position to be tackled.

• @chairboyscentral Yes, entirely agree with that. My issue is with people saying he was trying to win a free kick there. I don't think that was the case, he just lost it rather cheaply. He certainly did go down looking for a free kick at the end of the game though when we were in a good position.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    @chairboyscentral Yes, entirely agree with that. My issue is with people saying he was trying to win a free kick there. I don't think that was the case, he just lost it rather cheaply. He certainly did go down looking for a free kick at the end of the game though when we were in a good position.

Maybe not at the moment he was tackled, but I think the reason he held onto the ball for so long in general is that his end goal was to win a foul.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Almost the first thing Samuel did when coming on was throw himself to the ground and try and con the ref into giving us a free kick. The ref was perfectly positioned and played on. Then he tries it again and loses possession that leads to the second goal.
    Refs seem to have his card marked, not quite sure how he levels his diving with his faith.

Wondered how long it'd be before someone gave it that last line!

• We deserved to win the game and might have lost it at the death.

But whatever way you look at it, we went in without our three top-choice midfield players: Gape, Thompson and Adeniran.

Exciting though it was to see so many attacking players start, it wouldn't be ideal to have little alternative but to do so whatever the circumstances week after week.

For a team with a small squad like ours injuries may make more difference to staying up or going down than any other single factor.

Also seeing that upfront with the Ikpeazu saga.

Samuel was well tackled but shouldn't have been in a position to be tackled.

It was almost like he was caught in a few minds of trying a ball out right, coming back the way he'd come from, and regrettably he reverted to his safe place of trying to back in and hold the ball up.

I can see him being a growing source of frustration I'm afraid as I like his outlook on life.
    As a non goalscoring non assisting striker you're always going to get a lot of scrutiny though.

• @Malone
    As a non goalscoring non assisting striker you're always going to get a lot of scrutiny though.

To be fair , a very good summary of Samuel.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

It was almost like he was caught in a few minds of trying a ball out right, coming back the way he'd come from, and regrettably he reverted to his safe place of trying to back in and hold the ball up.

I can see him being a growing source of frustration I'm afraid as I like his outlook on life.

I'm still a big Samuel fan - I really appreciate what he brings to the side - but refs are wise to him and he's got to realise that fast. I think it is that rather than he's going down more.

• @davecz said:

@Malone

To be fair , a very good summary of Samuel.

Hello pal, did you enjoy the second half?

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I'm still a big Samuel fan - I really appreciate what he brings to the side - but refs are wise to him and he's got to realise that fast. I think it is that rather than he's going down more.

I know he utterly infuriates rival fans.
    A Rovers fan at work came over storming mad after we'd played them once ranting about him!!

• Samuel's a good player and he does bring a lot to the team. I've taken neutral fans to Wycombe games before and they frequently pick him out as being one of our better players.

He does need to learn though that he's not going to get these cheap free kicks in the Championship. He'll earn enough free kicks genuinely with his style of play.

• I just thought Samuel got tackled and didn't look for it at all. Had it been another striker then I doubt anyone would really be bothered or blaming them about the goal to be honest.

• Took a while but I think we've found this historic season's whipping boy.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.