Skip to content

Match day thread: Preston

Comments

• Yes, it's almost the tree falling in the forest scenario.

I still feel we are going to find a way to stay up, despite all the bad luck and injuries. Without those, we'd be midtable!

• @bookertease said:
    Sorry @Malone just jesting. I actually thought most of us were expecting to see football at some stage, although I must admit @aloysius’s arguments did make me doubt it for a bit.

I’d be surprised if there is any early easing to Tier 1 in Bucks owing to the likely Christmas Covid boom and hangover (unless BJ needs a Brexit distraction) but my prediction is that the Tier system will be dismantled on the anniversary of the first lockdown and it will be pretty much be every man, woman, child, business and football club for themselves, so we’ll be able to fill Adams Park to the rafters for the final few games of our great escape from relegation

'Play off charge' I think you meant to say?

• @bookertease said:

@Malone said:

@bigred87 said:
    Im afraid to say i renewed the day before the final... be very surprised if im in the top 2000

Especially if Wycombe choose to cap at 2400 even if we go to tier 1 which could easily happen.

Always good to see an optimist on here

Rob said, I believe on Ringing The Blues this week, that he would expect 4k fans allowed around January.

• “Around January” ? ? Around the end of January?

• First ‘double’ perhaps. Against the Broomies.

• I don't remember the exact quote @micra and I'm too busy spending my day reading the Millwall thread to check. But, the point is that if we go to Tier 1, I think non STHs can expect to have a chance at getting a seat.

• edited December 2020

Didn't Trevor Stroud say he expected us to have to cap it at around 2,400 regardless because of the layout of the ground etc?

• @Shev said:

I still feel we are going to find a way to stay up, despite all the bad luck and injuries. Without those, we'd be midtable!

I couldn't agree more! Despite what I've written recently about the substitutions and tactics, I really believe we can stay up.

If we can get to a clean bill of health sooner rather than later then hopefully we can climb the table.

To stand a chance I think we need to win two out and draw one of the games against Barnsley, Coventry and QPR.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Didn't Trevor Stroud say he expected us to have to cap it at around 2,400 regardless because of the layout of the ground etc?

Phil: "Are you now saying we can have fans of significant numbers now into Adams Park before the end of the season?"

Rob: "Oh yeah, absolutely. I'm the world's biggest optimist as you know. We are having great advances in the vaccine. I think by Coventry we'll be up to 2,000 and by the end of January probably, at least double that."

• edited December 2020

@JohnBoy said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Phil: "Are you now saying we can have fans of significant numbers now into Adams Park before the end of the season?"

Rob: "Oh yeah, absolutely. I'm the world's biggest optimist as you know. We are having great advances in the vaccine. I think by Coventry we'll be up to 2,000 and by the end of January probably, at least double that."

I'll take the chairman's word over anyone else's, it's just that someone mentioned a possible cap below 4,000 the other day. I can't say I share Rob's optimism that we'll be allowed 4,000 by the end of January, even if we could physically manage it. I expect we'll be in lockdown again by February.

This is what I was alluding to the other day @bookertease - rather than outrageous negativity :)

• Wonder when we'll hear about Saturday? I'm preparing myself for the now normal chase around to get the email in my inbox

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Wonder when we'll hear about Saturday? I'm preparing myself for the now normal chase around to get the email in my inbox

Word seemed to be Wednesday.

Which does seem a little late for offering up returns to the non lucky first wave of selections. Unless they only give you a day or so to reply this time.

• @JohnBoy said:
    I don't remember the exact quote @micra and I'm too busy spending my day reading the Millwall thread to check. But, the point is that if we go to Tier 1, I think non STHs can expect to have a chance at getting a seat.

Regrettably I think the chance of us going into Tier 1 is pretty remote. Today for example, 5 children and two teachers have tested positive for covid at Holmer Green School and I think it has also hit a school in Chalfont.

With the free for all at Christmas, I worry that there will be a third full lockdown in January/February.

• Admittedly this is the aylesbury side of the county but talking to a dog walker her son has in school for a week then out for two weeks as two pupils had it...then back in again and now out again as a teacher tested positive. As you say...post-Christmas I think we'll be spiking again.

• Forget tier one. Wycombe is now reporting the same 146 cases per 100,000 rate as tier three bad boys Nottinghamshire. Although that's still slightly below the England average.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Forget tier one. Wycombe is now reporting the same 146 cases per 100,000 rate as tier three bad boys Nottinghamshire. Although that's still slightly below the England average.

Didn't I see that London is having more cases than some of the Northern towns in Tier 3?
    Me mother went on a trip to the doctors last week and Nottingham City Centre was rammed with queues at shops that had not even been closed during the lockdown in the first place...also they had an Xmas market with fairground rides. (Now halted I think as strangely it was found to be full of people in close proximity or something) You can't help but think the numbers ain't coming down there any time soon!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Admittedly this is the aylesbury side of the county but talking to a dog walker her son has in school for a week then out for two weeks as two pupils had it...then back in again and now out again as a teacher tested positive. As you say...post-Christmas I think we'll be spiking again.

Definately true.i work for schools in the Aylesbury area and covid is the highest it has been.Some schools have been shut for all years for nearly 2 weeks.Most will have whole years out or class bubbles off with covid.

• It's been remarkably covid-free in my independent school - just two teachers and one boy had it, with limited disruption: Year 5 out for one week before half-term. Then today, two days from end of term, most of Year 8 and a quarter of Year 5 and a couple of teachers got sent home because a new teacher who came in for the day last Friday to get their bearings came down with it subsequently.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Vokes might want a break from Stoke fans until the new season.

He's just missed a penalty so imagine he'll be even ore popular with their fans.

• In other news, if we win tomorrow and match Derby's score if they also win, we get out of the relegation spots!

• Forest are away to Norwich, so the Derby result might not even matter. We have to win tomorrow - all well and good saying we've only lost two in nine, but we've not won in six!

Forest are away to Norwich, so the Derby result might not even matter. We have to win tomorrow - all well and good saying we've only lost two in nine, but we've not won in six!

A must win game again?

• If we win all our remaining 30 must win games we'll be playing in the Premier next season.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Forest are away to Norwich, so the Derby result might not even matter. We have to win tomorrow - all well and good saying we've only lost two in nine, but we've not won in six!

A must win game again?

I'm still in despair that we didn't beat Derby. It's ruined the rest of the season for me. But now @Commoner is saying we need 7 points from the next 3 games to stand a chance. I'm so confused. What I do know is that if we lose tonight we're definitely doomed.

• @YorkExile said:

I'm still in despair that we didn't beat Derby. It's ruined the rest of the season for me. But now @Commoner is saying we need 7 points from the next 3 games to stand a chance. I'm so confused. What I do know is that if we lose tonight we're definitely doomed.

I appreciate that all may not be lost if we don't pick up 7 points in those 3 games. We also play Bournemouth in the middle of that run.

I feel Derby, Forest and Sheff Weds will pull away from the bottom of the table and that realistically our fight is going to be with Barnsley, QPR, Coventry & Rotherham to stay up. I may well be wrong when the final table is decided after 46 games.

Given that's my current opinion and three of those teams are already 7 points ahead of us, then at this stage I do think we need to win two of those games. Which would hopefully pull them back into touching distance.

Should we lose all three games, then we would be 10 points behind three of those four teams and I think it would be a real challenge to make up that gap.

It would be really welcome if one or two of Derby, Forest and Weds continued their current PPG for the rest of the season.

• I'd agree with most of that, although I personally think that Wednesday will very much be in the relegation picture and probably go. I also think that Birmingham will be dragged into it. It's possibly not a coincidence that they are the two sides that we have beaten so far this season!

• Will be interesting to see who spends money in January, there's a fair few clubs with a recent history of splashing cash near the bottom

• Logic would suggest Forest and Shrek County would pull away...but I was expecting it would manifest itself much earlier than it has so - yes - we need to keep them in the mix with us and I bet they are more concerned and under more pressure than we are. I know team spirit and character alone does not win football matches but if we still have a chance to stay up come the end of the season I would not bet against this squad and management achieving it. (Even if its by the skin of our teeth.)

• @Wendoverman said:
    Logic would suggest Forest and Shrek County would pull away...but I was expecting it would manifest itself much earlier than it has so - yes - we need to keep them in the mix with us and I bet they are more concerned and under more pressure than we are. I know team spirit and character alone does not win football matches but if we still have a chance to stay up come the end of the season I would not bet against this squad and management achieving it. (Even if its by the skin of our teeth.)

Love the "Shrek County" bit!