Skip to content

Match day thread: Preston

Comments

• Feeling dissapointed after feeling hopeless at half time.
    Samuel has to stay on his bloody feet there. Such a shame for those who got us back in the game.

• edited December 2020

Superbly frustrating result there.
    Two silly goals to concede. The second with absolutely no threat in the world and given away utterly needlessly.

At least we've scored 2 for only the second time this season on a day where Kashket didn't bring his shooting boots and arguably one of the few times this season we've actually missed a few decent chances?

• Good point but can't help feeling we lost the momentum and handed them back the initiative when we made the double substitution.

• Best performance of the season for me. Gutted but confident we will stay up now.

• Alex Neil shows us how to do a professional foul properly!

Such a shame to concede that second goal, the camera behind the goal shows how little width we were playing with at that time, makes it so easy for the opposition to break. McCarthy at fault for both their goals, which is why he's down the pecking order. Plays with his heart on his sleeve but just lacks that split second instinct when put under pressure.

Thought Bayo had a good match, even if the free kick he won that led to our second goal wasn't actually a foul! I think that's the first goal he's directly contributed to, hopefully we'll see a few more. The knock down for Kashket in the box ten minutes beforehand was probably the finest ball he's played all season.

Overall thought that was the most entertaining match I've seen this season, helped by having two pros on commentary duty. Very happy with that point.

• The Alex Neil foul was extraordinary. Really the only mistake the ref made all game.

• @aloysius said:
    Alex Neil shows us how to do a professional foul properly!

Such a shame to concede that second goal, the camera behind the goal shows how little width we were playing with at that time, makes it so easy for the opposition to break. McCarthy at fault for both their goals, which is why he's down the pecking order. Plays with his heart on his sleeve but just lacks that split second instinct when put under pressure.

Thought Bayo had a good match, even if the free kick he won that led to our second goal wasn't actually a foul! I think that's the first goal he's directly contributed to, hopefully we'll see a few more. The knock down for Kashket in the box ten minutes beforehand was probably the finest ball he's played all season.

Overall thought that was the most entertaining match I've seen this season, helped by having two pros on commentary duty. Very happy with that point.

That's insanely harsh to put both of those goals on McCarthy!
    Knight did the terrible critical header that actually gave the first goal away and Samuel's negative messing about on the ball set that one in motion and McCarthy was massively unlucky to divert that in.

• edited December 2020

Yeah, what on earth is McCarthy supposed to do differently for the OG?

• Horrible dig at McCarthy @aloysius .

No game time and two decent stints in a strange position for him. Played today after injections on an injured shoulder. Today is no reflection on his long term future.

Go and get another beer

• @floyd said:
    The Alex Neil foul was extraordinary. Really the only mistake the ref made all game.

Definately a moment that would have been treated differently with a crowd in.

• The crowd did sound horribly biased!

• Though quite happy for @glasshalffull to take all the flak for being relentlessly positive I should point out my hometown club do have a lot of what we would consider better players and we're three points from overtaking them. If we cannot win a point will do. Going to be a loooong haul but I still think we'll stay up.

• Really enjoyed the commentary today. @bluntphil’s “right foot like a biscuit tin” line had the whole household giggling.

• Wait a second, y'all happy to lay the blame for the 2nd goal on Samuel who loses the ball on the edge of the Preston box rather than the man who stuck it in the back of our net while under no pressure at all?

And the man who sends a looping header into our box forcing Knight to make a hail Mary header of his own gets no share of the blame either?

I know the Gasroom has its favourite players but really. McCarthy played well today when out of position. But he's at fault for both Preston's goals.

• Sky played the own goal. Looked very unfortunate and he could have done little about it as far as I could see.

• @drcongo said:
    Really enjoyed the commentary today. @bluntphil’s “right foot like a biscuit tin” line had the whole household giggling.

I enjoyed the image of Alan Parry with a glow stick.

• edited December 2020

At least with 6 mins of extra time we didn't actually concede "that" late when compared to say Rotherham!

If only Samuel had that little run of play again. Even knocking it against their man for a throw to buy some time would have been something!

• McCarthy a good shout for MoM even with his unfortunate og
    First half we were impotent. Second half much better. @glasshalffull called it right about Kashket and confidence. Misses a couple but when a tough finish comes his way he nails it. Just love him.
    Before the game 2-2 I would have taken it. Also with McCleary getting off the mark. But it feels a bit of a miss as Preston were not good.

• On the one hand hugely frustrated not to have taken 3 points and, at risk of upsetting AP, it was probably a game we should have won if we are to avoid relegation. We were winning 2-1 on 85 mins with the ball at a forwards feet and the entire team defensive goal side of him - yet we concede possession and they score. How the f**k does that happen Second game in a row too. GA will be absolutely livid inside over that I'm sure.

On the other side it's a good point away from home given the sticking plaster job that was the midfield and then the injury to Stewart. Second half we bosses it and they only score due to errors by Wycombe players.

Who'd be a football fan?

• Of course McCarthy is to blame for the og, and McCarthy, Knight and more than anyone else Rocky are to blame for the first. Im off to exercise that was a stressful game.

• Agreed @drcongo Freeman was the calmest player for WWFC when he came on. Whilst not surprising, that it was a Bayo for Samuel swap, I felt that game was crying out for Parker to replace Bayo.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    McCarthy a good shout for MoM even with his unfortunate og
    First half we were impotent. Second half much better. @glasshalffull called it right about Kashket and confidence. Misses a couple but when a tough finish comes his way he nails it. Just love him.
    Before the game 2-2 I would have taken it. Also with McCleary getting off the mark. But it feels a bit of a miss as Preston were not good.

Agreed...but a ball rolling gently to him with an open goal from 6 yards out is not what i'd call a tough finish?!

• @Twizz said:
    On the one hand hugely frustrated not to have taken 3 points and, at risk of upsetting AP, it was probably a game we should have won if we are to avoid relegation. We were winning 2-1 on 85 mins with the ball at a forwards feet and the entire team defensive goal side of him - yet we concede possession and they score. How the f**k does that happen Second game in a row too. GA will be absolutely livid inside over that I'm sure.

On the other side it's a good point away from home given the sticking plaster job that was the midfield and then the injury to Stewart. Second half we bosses it and they only score due to errors by Wycombe players.

Who'd be a football fan?

With the really madcap schedule you do worry if we'll be able to get anyone back for midweek though. Stewart didn't look too promising.

It's beyond frustrating that Tafa an Uche have been missing for almost the whole season without getting more than 1-2 appearances each.

• @aloysius said:
    Wait a second, y'all happy to lay the blame for the 2nd goal on Samuel who loses the ball on the edge of the Preston box rather than the man who stuck it in the back of our net while under no pressure at all?

And the man who sends a looping header into our box forcing Knight to make a hail Mary header of his own gets no share of the blame either?

I know the Gasroom has its favourite players but really. McCarthy played well today when out of position. But he's at fault for both Preston's goals.

I'm a fan of Samuel but that goal was almost entirely his fault I'm afraid. The way he lost the ball had echos of the Bloomfield Row Z at Wembley nightmare.

• @Malone , I think the guy Riis would certainly have missed it!

• I thought Kashket had a couple of good moments defensively today as well, which is not something you would always expect from him.

• If we stay up, Riis will go down in Wycombe folklore!

• Excuse the tangent, but shoutout to Accrington Stanley - beat franchise today and could go 2nd if they win their two games in hand. Underdogs' union!

• Ironically if Samuel had found some contact and gone down it would have been preferable

• Oh and Peterborough lost their fourth game in five.