Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• Well done Mr Wycombe btw, hope he's ok.

• I think that is a very solid point away from home.
    Nice to see that everything’s going well at the three sided stadium up the road as well. ?

• @glasshalffull said:
    That is why every point should be treasured because Derby will undoubtedly, and with some justification, feel that was a game they should have won. Our spirit is unquenchable.

It needs to be.

• Always take a point away from home. I'm as pleased with that after playing poorly as i was frustrated after Huddersfield. One defeat in seven isn't to be sniffed at.

• If Bayo needs to be rested and Uche is injured we need to find a simple system with all the players in natural positions. Against Forest and now Derby we’ve got it horribly wrong from the start

• Thank heavens for a 38 year who can't run , who makes us a better team. We need to find a better way of playing. First half was poor. Slightly better in the second.

• Hard to know what to make of that. Dreadful in the 1st half, slightly better in the 2nd with the introduction of Bayo, but never looked like scoring and then ended up inches away from winning it.

So, so pleased for Matt Bloomfield. Absolutely delighted to see him score.

The midfield is now a massive worry, with Gape out and Thompson and Adenarin going off injured. Just hope Blooms is ok, as he'll have a vital role to play on Wednesday.

• edited November 2020

Samuel and Kashket / Wheeler and Kashket have both worked, but it depends on the opposition. The bigger concern is that two, if not all three (was Dennis actually injured or had he just taken one whack too many?), of our best midfielders are injured.

• edited November 2020

Bayo is a very difficult player to replace in fairness!

Millwall's Matt Smith has to be on Gareth's radar for some point in the future.
    He should have scored loads against us and was near unbeatable in the air

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Samuel and Kashket / Wheeler and Kashket have both worked, but it depends on the opposition. The bigger concern is that two, if not all three (was Dennis actually injured or had he just taken one whack too many?), of our best midfielders are injured.

Can they do it on a cold Wednesday v Stoke?

• @Malone said:
    Bayo is a very difficult player to replace in fairness!

Millwall's Matt Smith has to be on Gareth's radar for some point in the future.
    He should have scored loads against us and was near unbeatable in the air

I was thinking exactly this the other day. 32 and out of contract at the end of the season. If we stay up...?

• *31 but will be 32 at the end of the season

• I can fully understand why we started without Bayo, given the minutes he's had to play since coming back. It looked for a short while like the Kashkett, Horgan, McCleary, Memehti combo could ruffle their feather too.
    But sadly Derby quickly got the measure of us and we just faded out of a poor first half.
    As I commented we could have been 3-0 down at HT, even 4-0 but for the Rocky & Fred saves, so all credit to GA and the team for sticking it out and earning the 1-1.
    Real shame the McCleary drive didn't go in as I predicted us to win 2-1!

• He Knows...

I think Samuel or Parker and a slightly less direct approach has to be the key at least until January. That and a shortage of midfielders could see Freeman brought back.

• I'm clinging on to the fact that Kashket was forced off v Brentford yet was back starting v Huddersfield. Hopefully Curtis and Dennis both good for Stoke, although the former did leave the pitch very slowly. Was always going to be the way this season unfortunately - look at how many injuries Norwich have at the moment, insane.

• Who would of thought one day we would get a point at two-time English Champions Derby, and be worried about the performance?

• Could do a lot worse than Freeman.
    That was my instant reaction but then I realised that I might struggle to answer the inevitable question “how?”!

• Really pleased to hear him say this, much more direct after a poor game than he normally is.

• Looks like he has new shoes

• ''We need to find a

• I think back to that season where we carried on lumping it to Hayes and Thompson and looked utterly stale for the last few months.

That summer he showed intent bringing Bayo and a number of other attacking options in.

Similarly that season after we almost slipped into non league some really strong signings.

Gareth will know more than anyone what we need.

Pattison seemed a strange sub. But then 15mins in what else do you do?
    McCleary had been prepared to do a different role, Bloomfield favours further forward and lasting 75+ was an ask and therefore probably not any better stand out option.

• oops pressed the wrong button - We need to find an identity without the big man. Absolutely right . We cannot keep rely on him. Big challenge for Ainsworth

• Horgan is such a strange one. He can be absolutely anonymous in games without a sniff of an end product, but we really miss him when he's not there. Feel like he may suddenly click and turn it on to a high level consistently.

• @floyd said:

Really pleased to hear him say this, much more direct after a poor game than he normally is.

It’s screamingly obvious to anyone, but nevertheless refreshing to see it openly admitted.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Horgan is such a strange one. He can be absolutely anonymous in games without a sniff of an end product, but we really miss him when he's not there. Feel like he may suddenly click and turn it on to a high level consistently.

He's one of the few who can pick up the ball and run at defences and looks confident on the ball. But he hasn't shown much of the end product that we know he has. Frustrating.

• Getting more and more frustrated with Uche. Has he got a history of being a sick note?

• Getting more and more frustrated with Uche. Has he got a history of being a sick note?

• It looked to me as though Curtis turned his left ankle. If so, he’d be very unlucky to have damaged ligaments badly enough to keep him out for more than two or three games. @EwanHoosaami’s thoughts on that would be welcome. Also, let’s hope that one or both of Gape and Adeniran will be back on Wednesday. I think the latter will be ok.