Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• It took us about 15 minutes to stop playing balls for Bayo to win, and in that time Derby found their feet.

I hate to say it but I feel like we’ve made the same mistake that cost us a win on Tuesday.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    seems like GA is only successful with play A (Bayo) we cannot rely on a 28 year old

Here we go

• @Wanderers82 said:
    seems like GA is only successful with play A (Bayo) we cannot rely on a 28 year old

meant 38 year old....wish he was 28!!

• Wheeler,Bayo,Fred and Samuel needed....

• I really want us to be able to play a different style - to be adaptable seems an essential part of a survival plan this season. My ideal is for Bayo not to come on at half-time and for us to up the intensity, and footballing ambition, about a million per cent.

• Cut off Co-commentator in mid sentence!
    What in particular have people got against him?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I find I'm not convinced by McLeary. Horgan is dangerous but hardly ever seems to get the ball. Perplexing.

Both and Mehmeti "look the part" neither have delivered much yet, can't see who our target man or out ball is supposed to be. Banging it over Kashkets head is unlikely to be the way.
    Time for a regroup. Wouldn't be surprised if Bayo comes on at half time, although they do need to find something else.
    Not too down as Ainsworth says though, haven't forgot we couldn't have afforded almost any of their players. Just we aren't doing ourselves any favours today. Unsurprisingly as we all said before they have had a massive shake up and are working harder.

• Derby have been first to every ball

• Losing Thompson is a major blow, but we’ve been awful. It is so obvious the formation is wrong but we’ve not changed it. 4-4-2 is needed with Horgan left and McCleary right. Kashket central. 4-3-3 forces us to play overly long with no one to win a header. And the full backs very exposed as we’re too narrow.

First half we’ve mostly had McCleary playing centre forward which is a total waste. Long balls to him are pointless. Kashket playing right wing (and basically trying to be a second right back) wastes him.

We were starting to play really well as mostly 4-4-2, but Huddersfield and today has certainly been 4-3-3 (for the pedants 4-2-3-1 is basically 4-3-3 from my perspective) and we’ve been awful on the ball/going forward.

• Very worrying signs in there. Right as the clock ticked over to 45, there was a bit of close quarters head tennis on the edge of the Derby box, and aside from whichever Wycombe player was going for the header, everyone else was stood like statues. If nobody is moving to create the space, how the hell are we ever going to make anything of it if we eventually win the ball?

Another half of that and I’m going full Trevor.

• Samuel (if not Bayo) for Mehmeti for me

• @drcongo said:

Lol

• @micra said:
    Cut off Co-commentator in mid sentence!

We prefer either AP or Big Phil.
    Even the Canvey island fella.

• It could be 3-0 to Derby but for a header going straight at Rocky when the guy should have scored and an off-site that might not have been given.

• If we need a target man surely Samuel or Parker are a better bet than Scotty? I know Derby have better players but we dont seem to know what to do upfront. Heigh ho. Still time for 1-2.?

• It's like we're playing three at the back and then a great big mess in front of that. Pattison is such a downgrade from Thompson and it really shows, we'e getting battered in midfield.

• It's easy to wish for whoever didn't start, but this feels like an Alex Samuel game.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I find I'm not convinced by McLeary. Horgan is dangerous but hardly ever seems to get the ball. Perplexing.

Hes been a winger all his career, and spent half the half up front. Not sure why

• The worrying thing is we're back to early season centre midfield now.
    Pattison and Mehmeti - promising as he'll be for short periods just worries me.

Horgan has barely had a snifty.
    Kashket totally out of the game.

Tough calls to be made. No doubt Gaz will give it 10-15 to see if some "encouragement" lifts things.

• @Twizz said:
    It could be 3-0 to Derby but for a header going straight at Rocky when the guy should have scored and an off-site that might not have been given.

Didn't look offside tbh

• @HCblue said:

@drcongo said:

Lol

And the thing is, I feel the same. Oddly, I can stand the head tennis and endless long balls when there is a chance we can do something with it via Bayo. But it’s much less tolerable when it seems so much less likely to bear any fruit.

• @Malone said:

@micra said:
    Cut off Co-commentator in mid sentence!

We prefer either AP or Big Phil.
    Even the Canvey island fella.

Also, he's done no research. Mis pronned Grimmer in the team news, and didn't even try Adeniran. Its just lazy

• Some promising signs though...

Actually, no, sorry.

• Wow we have been dreadful, totally disjointed, thank god for 2 cracking saves from Rocky or we would be much further behind

• Bizarre performance. Shape is awful. Defence looks rickety too. You can see the Derby confidence growing as we continue banging up and unders with no target man.

Curtis Thompson’s departure is a disaster. Alex Pattison is absolutely nowhere.

• We haven't got the Championship standard of offensive players to set up without a target man. If Uche is a write off this season we must get someone to share the load with Bayo in January.

• Bloomfield and Akinfenwa coming on?

• Most worrying thing for me is how easily they're switching play to our left and having time and space to get whatever ball they want in. That needs fixing, 4-4-2 ought to give us more structure in that sense - but obviously needs Samuel or, ideally today, Bayo to come on.

• Terrible. Wrong team, wrong shape, wrong substitute.

We seem to be doing our best to try to re-capture everything from the first few games of the season.

Going back to 4-3-3 beggars belief when we’d found a way playing that was clearly working well.

• Bayo for Kashket and Blooms for Memehti.