Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• This is a game that we could win but we need to score goals. Will be interesting to see who we play in the front two and as wingers. We need to find the right balance between defence and attack.

• I'm taking this as a hint Mehmeti will start. Hoping for the defenders' nightmare front two of Samuel and Kashket, high press against their very hesitant back line.

• That said, they didn't deal with Middlesbrough's long balls well - a lot were just landing right in behind them. I don't think I'd be keen to play Bayo if I were them...

• Do you agree with what I just put on the Róoney out thread @davecz ? But with Samuel starting and Bayo on at some stage in the second half.

• Very intriguing lineup!

Only Kashket as a striker.

But McCleary. Horgan and Mehmeti in there with Thompson-Adeniran flanking them.

• Bloody hell, change if style or what? Mehmeti as a 10 is exciting.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@HCblue said:
    While their defence looked pretty shambolic by league standards, they created a ton of chances, too. I'll take a dodgy penalty (for us this time) and a 1-0.

They only had ten shots, only one of which was a decent chance. In terms of creativity they're bottom of the league by a fair distance - they make us look creative! Five goals all season, four of them from set-pieces - which is among the highest in the league, but they've been toothless from open play pretty much all season.

But who knows, maybe Wazza will wave a magic wand and turn them into world-beaters overnight...

Didn't look to me like much would have had to gone differently in that game for them to get at least a couple of goals. Either way, I'll still take a dodgy 1-0!

No treasuring points today, this is a must-win.

Why is it ‘must win’? Its only must win if you need 3 points to stay up and have only one game to play. After today there are 32 games left to play.

• Perfectly put, @glasshalffull

Anyone who has described today as "must win" should have to come on here afterwards if we don't and concede relegation

• @glasshalffull said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Why is it ‘must win’? Its only must win if you need 3 points to stay up and have only one game to play. After today there are 32 games left to play.

How many of those will be against teams below us in the table in dreadful form though?
    Not all games are equal.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @glasshalffull said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Because you've got to beat the teams who are down there in a scrap with you. If they play as poorly as they have been doing (and maybe they won't), we've got to take the opportunity.

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@chairboyscentral said:

How many of those will be against teams below us in the table in dreadful form though?
    Not all games are equal.

He's not saying they are.

He's literally just saying that if we don't win today it doesn't necessarily mean we will get relegated

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Not all games are equal.

But we are Wycombe, Malone! We win games we’re not expected to win and lose games we’re not expected to lose.

• @eric_plant said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Not all games are equal.

He's literally just saying that if we don't win today it doesn't necessarily mean we will get relegated

No one's saying we will.

• Exciting line up for us, lots of changes for them, nobody knows what will happen, someone needs to grab hold of the game for us and make it happen, and no heads down if we concede, go and smash em blues.

• Absolutely love this line-up. Apart from anything else it's nothing like what Derby would have been preparing for.

• @floyd said:
    Absolutely love this line-up. Apart from anything else it's nothing like what Derby would have been preparing for.

I just logged into here to express exactly the same level of excitement at the line-up. Can't wait to see the festival of football that is to follow!

• @glasshalffull said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Not all games are equal.

But we are Wycombe, Malone! We win games we’re not expected to win and lose games we’re not expected to lose.

Exactly!! 50+ years of watching us has taught me that. (Apart from Coventry. We KNOW we’ll always lose to them)

@eric_plant said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Not all games are equal.

No one's saying we will.

Then it's not "must win" is it?

• Colin Kazim-Richards is starting to Derby. How long has he been around!?

• @eric_plant said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@eric_plant said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Not all games are equal.

No one's saying we will.

It's just a phrase, it's not that deep

• Is this the strongest subs. bench we have ever fielded in our history?

@eric_plant said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@eric_plant said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Not all games are equal.

No one's saying we will.

It's just a phrase, it's not that deep

Some of us know what you mean pal.
    I think some just like a pointless argument.

If playing a team in dreadful form at the bottom of the league isn't a must win, then no other game is until about March or April!

• A nice pacey line-up. Not sure about kashket through the middle myself but prepared to eat my words. What time is ' WHY oh WHY did we not start with bayo?' due to begin ? ??

• It’s as close to a must win game as you can get at this point in the league season. But it clearly isn’t a must win game.

• @Wendoverman said:
    A nice pacey line-up. Not sure about kashket through the middle myself but prepared to eat my words. What time is ' WHY oh WHY did we not start with bayo?' due to begin ? ??

10mins in? When Kashket hasn't had a touch?

• The more they talk up Derby’s issues the less confident I get.

• Don’t want to piss on anyone’s chips but today we should lose. Derby are in a false position. They have individuals who are waaay superior to ours. They are one of the big clubs of the championship no doubt.
    If we lose there should be no disappointment no recrimination today is a bonus day.

But of course this is Wycombe

• @floyd said:
    The more they talk up Derby’s issues the less confident I get.

Yep. Watch them inevitably turn into a Clough-esque world beater imminently.