Skip to content

Match day thread: Norwich

Comments

• edited October 2020

@chairboyscentral said:
    And that's the problem: too many of them guess.

Exactly - decisions should only be made on what they've definitely seen. They might legitimately miss something, but to wrongly give something is unforgiveable.
    Even VAR if it operated in the second tier, wouldn't have been allowed to overrule that though would it?

• @drcongo The clip supplied in the post by @ReadingMarginalista should have accompanied your email (just to back up the valid complaint with crystal clear evidence).

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Exactly - decisions should only be made on what they've definitely seen. They might legitimately miss something, but to wrongly give something is unforgiveable.
    Even VAR if it operated in the second tier, wouldn't have been allowed to overrule that though would it?

It could have done because that stamp would have been reviewed as a possible red (presumably).

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

It could have done because that stamp would have been reviewed as a possible red (presumably).

That's a stretch I think, as they'd judge it no.
    But could they actually overrule the decision itself in that case.

Probably a pointlessly hypothetical one.

• @Malone Ah, yeah I don't think it can overturn just a free-kick.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @Malone Ah, yeah I don't think it can overturn just a free-kick.

We can say with certainty that we'd have got a pen though, when Fred was very obviously yanked back!

• Watching real time I thought their player bought the free kick with a dive. In fact he actually stamps on Fred and the decision should go the other way. That really is hard to take, especially after such an awful run of decisions against us in recent weeks.

Norwich were a quality side. Lots and lots of skilful players and they stretched the pitch wonderfully. Their subs made a big difference. Until 65-70 mins it was pretty even but they had us penned back at the end.

However, we competed brilliantly and deserved a draw. Crucially, we looked dangerous in attack today. Stewart & Kashkett had good chances. Fred’s cross-shot was inches away. The attacking set up gave us much more potency and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wheeler play that position again. He won so many flick ons and also provided some much needed aerial ability defending set pieces as well.

Early days but to me Horgan looks perhaps the highest quality player we’ve ever signed on a permanent deal. Some great touches and intelligent use of the ball.

If we’d had a bit more luck and taken some points from Rotherham, Luton or Millwall then i think I’d be feeling really positive after that display. But it is quite deflating to have put in such a shift and still be on 0pts.

• If anybody needs cheering up they could always watch the highlights of VVV Venlo getting beaten 13-0 by Ajax earlier today.

Having said that, they've still managed to get 5 points from their first six games.

• My Ifollow crashed at half time, so only watched the 1st half. Just seen the free kick and I can now share the same fury everyone else has! Incredibly, GA had no complaints about that and was more upset about the non penalty award, which personally I thought was more 50/50.

To think they got that free kick and we didn't get one for the blatant block on Fred at the end of the 1st. Incredible!

The luck has to change surely...

• I expect the likes of Samuels in his rag will put a headline of "10 men Norwich beat woeful Wycombe"

• @OnOurWay said:
    How are possession stats worked out? 22pc for us seems unfair...

I think they add up all the passes and divided by the passes made by each team. So if there are 300 passes in the game and we have 100 then we have 33% possession. I think it is quite unsophisticated. Anyone else can add to that?

• We were robbed of a point or 3 today...Norwich diving all over the park and a definite penalty on Fred...at least Fred will be properly mad when we play Norwich at Adams Park. Team played so well today...it was like watching a very good cup tie, absolutely brilliant from the lads.

• @Forest_Blue said:

@OnOurWay said:
    How are possession stats worked out? 22pc for us seems unfair...

I think they add up all the passes and divided by the passes made by each team. So if there are 300 passes in the game and we have 100 then we have 33% possession. I think it is quite unsophisticated. Anyone else can add to that?

It's individual possessions (i.e. every time a player has the ball under control) rather than passes, but that's basically it.

• On the plus side, The Sunderland apes are quiet this evening.

• Gareth: “It probably is a free-kick for the winning goal, I’m not going to argue that. But the ref has to be consistent and give the penalty in the first half.” #NORvWYC

He'll be furious when he sees that one back properly!

• I’m immensely proud of our team. We didn’t deserve that today.

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season we’re holding our own in games now and shouldn’t fear anyone.

Too many outstanding performances to single anyone out, but L1 players have stepped up a level and the new recruits definitely add quality.

In Ainsworth we trust.

• Terrible referee. Definite penalty and red card (as no attempt to play the ball) in the first half. Really competed with a team for of fantastic players. Gave absolutely everything and played some good stuff a times. Created a few very good chances as well as the goal and looked as solid as we could possibly look I think. To be denied by another awful decision for the free kick was gutting.

Brilliant performance, proud of all of them. Well done to GA/Dobbo and the lads - keep that level of performance up in some of the less daunting fixtures, and we certainly have a chance of staying up.

• I have to be careful what I say about referees as I’ve already had two reprimands from the FA for pointing out the blatantly obvious, but if Gavin Ward looks back on his performance today with a degree of honesty, he must surely admit that he’s had a bad day.
    The penalty (and surely red card) that wasn’t given and the free kick that led to Norwich’s winner were absolute game changers and in my opinion he got both decisions horribly wrong. If we play like that every week, we have a very good chance of surviving in this league.

• I feel like we are definitely good enough to stay up, and it is actually being ripped away from us. Such a sinking feeling.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I have to be careful what I say about referees as I’ve already had two reprimands from the FA for pointing out the blatantly obvious, but if Gavin Ward looks back on his performance today with a degree of honesty, he must surely admit that he’s had a bad day.
    The penalty (and surely red card) that wasn’t given and the free kick that led to Norwich’s winner were absolute game changers and in my opinion he got both decisions horribly wrong. If we play like that every week, we have a very good chance of surviving in this league.

Where have they picked your comments up from out of interest? Commentating?Surely not from either BFP or on here under a username, albeit one people on here know who it is!

• Even the majority of Norwich fans think it was a dive having read their forum however we deserved it due to all our play acting apparently . A few sensible ones on their applauding our effort and attacking football.

• Probably worth pointing out that 6 of our 7 games have been against teams currently in the top 10,

We are going toe-to-toe in matches now (didn’t have chance to watch today’s game though so going by what is being said on here) so room for a bit of optimism going forwards (if we can get some breaks with refereeing decisions)

• Many years ago I had the ‘temerity’ to point out directly to a couple of refs that their performances could have been better. Fined by the FA and warned about my future conduct. Believe me, they are a protected species and all the complaints in the world will get you nowhere.

• Sounds like you're proud of it

• Tell me where I said or inferred that.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Tell me where I said or inferred that.

Don't bite @glasshalffull It's not worth it!

• Sorry, but it was an uncalled for comment about an honest reply to a question from Malone.

• I know, but, he clearly wants an argument. Don't feed him!

• @eric_plant said:
    Sounds like you're proud of it

Again another constructive comment!! Do you ever say anything useful?