Skip to content

The teams that we will be playing next season

Comments

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@mooneyman said:

Huddersfield whilst just safe from relegation, have had an extremely poor season under the Cowleys, so again they have acted swiftly to allow a new manager to rebuild the squad.

By that reasoning, Ainsworth should have been sacked after the Torquay game.

The Cowleys haven't really had time to create their own squad; as Wycombe's recent history shows, it takes a few years to build something in a manager's image.

If we were owned at that time by Rob Couhig, I suspect he would have been sacked. In hindsight we were fortunate to be owned by the Trust at that time.

With regard to Huddersfield, any manager with the benefit of the massive parachute monies and over 20,000 attendances would surely be expected to at least get a mid table finish.

• tough decision will loom at some stage for Gareth. Gareth succeeds by building a squad of like minded individuals and thereby an amazing team spirit. That inevitably takes time.

The lesson of the Cowleys is that if GA takes a job at a bigger club, he ma well not get the time he needs to build the success he probably would deliver in seasons 2 and 3.

• @mooneyman If we were owned by Rob Couhig at that time we wouldn't have been going to Torquay looking for a win and some assistance elsewhere to survive in the Football League

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@mooneyman said:

Huddersfield whilst just safe from relegation, have had an extremely poor season under the Cowleys, so again they have acted swiftly to allow a new manager to rebuild the squad.

By that reasoning, Ainsworth should have been sacked after the Torquay game.

Had we had any money, I suspect he would have been! Certainly a strange move by Watford...but Pearson is a strange character I think.

• The Cowleys will get a billet at a League One/League Two club and then will no doubt be a success with that experience under their belt. Look at Eddie Howe. I think some people don't appreciate what they've got until they've left it behind. I think we are lucky Gareth and Dobbo do...and it will take a good long contract and a big wedge to tempt them away I would imagine.

• If Dev C isn't proposing some imagined scenario where Gaz is offered a job whilst patronisingly reminding us that he could be tempted to leave one day is it even the Gasroom?

• Can't wait for Derby away

• Pure farce is what that is.

• League 1: We are the biggest basket case of any division this season.

Championship: Hold my beer.

• Wigan have made 75 Support staff redundant and are still able to play on. 75? ...and some owners have a spare £50m to chuck in to get round a ruling. That may tell us something about the size and spending of some of our opponents next season.
    Got to be a chance we could stay up next season on the back of others going pear shaped regardless of results or deductions.

• So they both could start with -12 points. What is the EFL becoming?

• That's mad isn't it.

You can delay your punishment because they've run out of time!

A 21 point deduction for Wednesday would take some coming back from!!W
    A "mere" 12 for Wigan

But yes, the odds would increase on us staying up with those deductions!

• edited July 2020

Apparently Derby aren't out of the woods yet either?

• https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/efl-statement-ongoing-disciplinary-proceedings/

So Wigan's will apply at the end of this season (although they are appealing it). No mention of any others.

• Hopefully that means Luton might go down so we don't have to go to that shithole.

• I hope they stay up, we have a great record there.

• The look on the faces of Oxford, Peterborough and Sunderland fans when we stay up with 39 points.

But in all seriousness, I do hope we stay up "on sporting merit" as it were, though I would not look a gift horse in the mouth if we instead were reprieved by the financial clown car that is other Championship clubs.

I just said "other Championship clubs." Love it!

• Call me old fashioned, but I don't think it's a great look being all triumphalist about other teams getting points deductions, especially when one of them is the victim of what looks like one of the biggest scandals English football has seen

• Badly worded - but it would be rather fortunate. That said, I genuinely believe we'll stay up regardless.

• Obviously we want to stay up totally on our own merits, but if it has to be due to other team's financial shenanigans so be it.

• Teams are getting points deductions because they cheated financially. What is the problem with that eric?

• Have you read anything about what's happened at Wigan?

• If you go into administration you get a set points deduction. Yes Wigan are unfortunate as are a lot of teams that go into administration such as Bolton.

• You said they "cheated" earlier

• This is definitely worth a listen to - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08k785w Colin Murray spends almost 30 minutes talking to the administrator about what has happened to Wigan and Gerald Krasner was as forthcoming as he could be

• I know we are relatively strapped but I think we've proved in both League One and League Two that having far less loot than the other teams around us does not necessarily mean we are doomed (I mean I know we probably are but...).

• Looks like Bournemouth and Watford favourites to come down now. I well remember the previous games with the Hornets, two 0-0 draws at home with over 8,000 for each and a certain Keith Scott playing for them in one of the games. And it’s hard to forget the ovation for Elton John when he took his seat at Vicarage Road, the day after Diana’s funeral, either.

• Sky must be delighted how the final weekend is shaping up.
    Big battles for top 4 and going down.

Bournemouth could yet escape with a win if the other two lose. Will be a good watch.

Championship last games tomorrow too. Similar big finish at the bottom.
    Only cloud is the deductions and wranglings.