Skip to content

The teams that we will be playing next season

Comments

• Who needs to dream? In real life Wycombe are a Championship club.

• Though the pressure is off owing to us being favoured to go down, I would NEVER underestimate this team, and it would not surprise me at all if we are planning for a second season in the Championship this time next season.

• You see those interviews with players from Cardiff, Swansea and Bournemouth when they say 'you were with the team when they almost went out of business and then travelled up through the leagues' that's Blooms now! Only one promotion to go! :smiley:

• @Wendoverman said:
    If we just accept the fact that we're going straight into a relegation battle and enjoy the ride it will be less stressful. However high they finished, Luton should have done the same. If the Rev cannot save them...who could?

Indeed we are already in a relegation battle. Gareth , Dobbo and the Couhigs are already planning the best way to achieve 4th from bottom, which if successful would be an even bigger achievement than promotion itself.

• @Wendoverman said:
    You see those interviews with players from Cardiff, Swansea and Bournemouth when they say 'you were with the team when they almost went out of business and then travelled up through the leagues' that's Blooms now! Only one promotion to go! :smiley:

Great point.

And we have a fair few others too.

• Anyone got odds on another promotion?)

• I would not put it past this group of players and this management to keep us up, but we'll realistically just be looking for those rare but great 'snatching a victory' days and watching bigger teams players shaking their heads as they trudge off.

• I do see a clear way through to survival, and it involves our greatest assets, such as team spirit and tenacity. If we are able to add 2-3 permanent signings, with 3-4 quality loan players from the PL, all with the right character, that squad chemistry will continue, and though we may still lose more than we win, I can still envision enough days where we beat opponents who would not want to watch us every week, to achieve safety.

The winning goal was a sequence which illustrated the difference between us and many other clubs, with the Oxford player ignoring/giving up on Grimmer's hospital pass in order to have a whine, while Allsop raced out to mash the ball downfield and Fred strained every sinew to beat the Oxford keeper to the ball. Maybe it's a bit naive to act as though we are the only squad with the values of hard work and togetherness, but we certainly illustrate those qualities in technicolour, and just adding enough pieces of second tier quality, and world class character, could really help us spring some surprises.

• If only Wheeler had tucked that one in 'on the break' :smile:

• I spent a bit of time today trying to work out how many teams from the top two divisions we have beaten in competitive matches in our history. I came up with 11 - the most recent being in 2006. Frankly if we manage to exceed that total in one season I will be delighted.

I believe we are the third team to have joined the Football League in the 'automatic promotion' era to have reached the second tier after Yeovil, who lasted one season, and Burton, who lasted two. I genuinely believing that surviving in the Championship would be our greatest ever achievement.

• Of course it would.

• My default position is to approach every season with ‘we’re bound to get relegated’ and every game with ‘we’re bound to get beat’ - no idea why and I’m normally very much an optimist in life - but when i do try and think rationally about any forthcoming game (not easy - but a pint or two of Rebellion helps) I can generally find reasons why we’ll win.

In that spirit, (but without the benefit of alcohol) I do think (if not exactly feel) that next season could actually prove to have been the perfect season for us to dip our toe in the deep end.

2020/21 will be a very strange season in a lot of ways. A lot of football will be probably be played in front of limited or potentially no crowds. This may be harder for some big clubs (Sheff Wednesday for example) than the likes of us. Every game for us will be a cup final (and I’m sure GA and Dobbo will instil that in the players) but for some other teams it may be more difficult to be up for it against an ‘in your face’ team like us.

There is also the possibility/likelihood that some clubs may be struggling financially with less gate receipts and possibly less TV money. This could lead to one or two deciding that administration, with consequent points penalties, is a genuine option.

Then we have the probability that many clubs will be in cutting costs mode with some quite good players let go and possibly available relatively cheaply.

In addition, one effect of Brexit will be presumably to reverse Bosman. No longer (I assume) will clubs be able to just bring in good, journeymen European footballers, which could help level the playing field a bit more.

We then have the loan factor. For a while we have been seen as a good home to develop primarily potentially Championship footballers. It may be our reputation in this field has been further enhanced by our success this season and we could be seen more as a good home to develop primarily potentially Premier footballers.

And finally we have the togetherness factor. Unless we get it badly wrong with our current squad (or bring in DDH - my worst nightmare) this will be, I think, our biggest asset.

This year we have been the team that no-one wants to watch every week and everyone knows what to expect when they play us (and look where that got us). My prediction is that next season we will be all that as well as the team that the opposition players and management wouldn’t want to play every week.

So enough there for me to THINK we’ve got a really good chance of staying up.

Right. Now off to the bookies. What’s the odds on us getting relegated?

• @Platform_3 said:
    I spent a bit of time today trying to work out how many teams from the top two divisions we have beaten in competitive matches in our history. I came up with 11 - the most recent being in 2006. Frankly if we manage to exceed that total in one season I will be delighted.

I believe we are the third team to have joined the Football League in the 'automatic promotion' era to have reached the second tier after Yeovil, who lasted one season, and Burton, who lasted two. I genuinely believing that surviving in the Championship would be our greatest ever achievement.

The "evidence" doesn't look good!

But then how many clubs who have stayed up in league 2 on the final day of a season, have been promoted to the championship within 6 years?

@chairboyscentral has his evening sorted, and I expect will tell us in the last 50 years ...no-one :)

• edited July 2020

@Malone I think Swansea did it (2002/03 - 2007/08)

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @Malone I think Swansea did it (2002/03 - 2007/08)

That is some insane quick fire recollection, and spot on too, after checking!
    Though finishing a luxurious 2 places above the bottom 2, it was a last day job.

Ok, so we're not special on our own, but it's still magnificent :)

And they lasted 3 championship seasons...then the Prem.
    We'll take that!

• Change the question to 'Who's done it without big(ish) financial backing?' and I don't think anyone can hold a candle to us.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Change the question to 'Who's done it without big(ish) financial backing?' and I don't think anyone can hold a candle to us.

I like it. Good stuff.

• Brighton did it too, just avoided relegation to non-league in 97 and in the 2nd tier 2003. Not sure on the finances aspect of it.

• Burnley were relegated to the Fourth Division for the first time at the end of the 1984–85 season. The team avoided relegation to the Football Conference on the last day in 1986–87, after they won against Orient and their rivals drew or lost.

• Got it in my head that Fulham flirted with the conference and then not long afterwards Fayed + Keegan sent them up the leagues

• A cosy draw between West Ham and Watford tomorrow could answer a lot of the title subject here

• @eric_plant said:
    Got it in my head that Fulham flirted with the conference and then not long afterwards Fayed + Keegan sent them up the leagues

Think Micky Adams got them a promotion not long before the £ arrived and was rewarded by being moved out the way.

• edited July 2020

Huddersfield all but confirmed - only an absolutely ridiculous goal swing would send them down now.

• Brentford now look odds on to go up the Premier league.
    That's an incredible achvievement. Not quite Wycombe, but still ;)

• Aston Villa and Watford almost certain.

• @mooneyman said:
    Aston Villa and Watford almost certain.

Watford suddenly looked absolutely doomed. However, Bournemouth still need at least one win.

• I did one of those table predictors and had Bournemouth to stay up on goals scored.

• @Malone said:

@mooneyman said:
    Aston Villa and Watford almost certain.

Watford suddenly looked absolutely doomed. However, Bournemouth still need at least one win.

Especially when their last two games are Man City and Arsenal so Bournemouth only need one win.

• Watford’s final two fixtures are at home to Man City and away to Arsenal. Bournemouth have Southampton and Everton, so the fixtures favour them.

I’d say it’s too close to call currently.

If Brentford go up that’s an amazing achievement. They’ve spent big on occasion but as part of a model that’s also seen them receive huge fees. I’d like to go to their new ground but The Hawthornes isn’t a bad alternative.