Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford (Play-off Final)

1111213141517»

Comments

• I wish there was a company called 'Shoulda Coulda Woulda', just so Peterborough could have appropriate sponsors.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I think he’s a former Fleetwood player

According Wikipedia, Joe Davis has had an interesting senior career. It began at Port Vale, a club he joined as a nine-year-old, presumably as a result of his father, Steve Davis, being a player at Northwich Victoria at the time. He played 27 games for Port Vale from 2010-2014 and a further
    18 from 2017-2019. In between he had a short spell on loan at Luton and, inter alia, two seasons at Fleetwood where he made 23 appearances. In 2018-2019 he went on loan to York City and played 7 times.

Still only 26, he is now back in Cheshire at Nantwich Town, a club his father managed from 2004-2009.

I did all this digging after discovering that the article in the Blackpool Gazette was written by a 26-year-old professional footballer with a remarkably good writing style and an interestingly broad and balanced perspective. I immediately thought of our young (slightly older?) scribe and stats man, Tom Hancock.

A final interesting fact. On 22 February 2014 Port Vale played Crewe Alexandra.
    For 33 minutes, Joe and his brother Harry played against one another while their father (Steve) looked on as manager of Crewe.

• PS. Steve Davis had a couple of seasons at Oxford United about 10 or 12 years ago.
    So Joe had a good reason to take a keen interest in the playoffs.

• Between them they have dominated the World Snooker crown

• Only a Fred missing !!

• I only just realised - a bit slow I know - the only team to win a league 1 play-off game during normal, or extra time, in the 2019/2020 campaign?

Wycombe Wanderers - twice!

That was a tough run of fixtures we had in July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/scores-fixtures

• Total Wycombe goals (3 appearances): 8
    Total goals for all other teams (combined 7 appearances): 8

• Total Wycombe goals from open play: 5
    Total goals from other sides from open play: 5 (including fluke cross goal)

• Aren't we just the best.