Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford (Play-off Final)

Comments

• edited July 2020

Had a quick peep on the Oxford forum. Found this gem:

_I'm still smarting at how we lost the game but we did and yes it's all about placing more footballs in the onion bag than the other side but for f*cks sake those 'two' goals were the most fortunate I've seen since wycombe became a football league small time club.
    _
    One team that trained all week to score set pieces, scored two set pieces.

The other team that trained all week to play tikka-takka, scored an overhit cross.

• Classic super biased idiot football fans to a tee.

How can anyone moan about our "fortunate" goals when they've scored a total fluke.
    Bizarre.

• They knew what they were going to get. They got it.

• Here is another thing everyone seems to have forgotten: we had what seemed to be a pretty decent penalty shout for handball earlier in the sequence that led to our actual penalty.

Part of the silly bias is the refusal to acknowledge that part of playing football is defending well. For every "shoulda coulda woulda" Oxford can throw at us, I can point to a brilliant piece of Wycombe defending, usually from Stewart, but with plenty of team efforts, with our players just refusing to be breached by anything other than a complete fluke.

Also, if set piece goals are somehow easier to create, why is no-one else doing it as well as us?

• I understand that goals are to be replaced by points. 1 point for each completed pass in the phase leading to the goal

• As I have said many times before, once you get a reputation in football it is very difficult to change it irrespective of whether it is deserved or not.

• Long may our reputation continue. I think we could make a good case for it helping in the first leg at Fleetwood for example.

• edited July 2020

Thought i'd found the full match on youtube, but instead it was some fan chatting at the camera for 2hours!

• Well written piece and by jove I think he gets it...

• I think he’s a former Fleetwood player

• @Malone said:
    Did that pan out? Have we had 1 season kits?

Needs someone with a lot better memory than me

depends what you mean by "pan out". I own the top and like it a lot, I'm a big fan of black kits.

But alas given that we were sporting it in the ill-fated Taylor/Waddock brief one-season stop in L1 following our string of grinding 1-0s to gain promotion the season before, we tended to be rather dogsh1te when we wore it.

Including a particularly festering 6-0 defeat to Huddersfield LIVE!! on Sky, complete with Michael Duberry o.g..

So if you don't remember it, it's quite possible you've just blocked it out through the trauma - and no-one could blame you.

• @PBo said:

@Malone said:
    Did that pan out? Have we had 1 season kits?

Needs someone with a lot better memory than me

depends what you mean by "pan out". I own the top and like it a lot, I'm a big fan of black kits.

But alas given that we were sporting it in the ill-fated Taylor/Waddock brief one-season stop in L1 following our string of grinding 1-0s to gain promotion the season before, we tended to be rather dogsh1te when we wore it.

Including a particularly festering 6-0 defeat to Huddersfield LIVE!! on Sky, complete with Michael Duberry o.g..

So if you don't remember it, it's quite possible you've just blocked it out through the trauma - and no-one could blame you.

I think I was just asking have we had a single season kit.

I certainly forget a lot of stuff these days.

• Harry Kewell after we beat Crawley on the way to promotion from League Two:

"I was not disappointed with the way my players played. We played the right way. If that’s the way Wycombe want to play that’s fair enough, congratulations to them.

"Long ball and hope. It wasn’t as if they scored from open play. They made the referee make decisions and Jacobson has a wonderful delivery and with that came three goals."

https://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/kewell-embarrassing-amount-free-kicks-and-wycombes-style-2057737

That's managerial genius Harry Kewell, who is currently managing [checks notes] no one.

• Post on Oxford site.
    'Awful decision by Ainsworth and one of the clearest ‘heart ruling the head’ moments you will ever see in football. If Ainsworth was a serious manager no sentiment would have been shown and he’d have been released. It’ll be like a circus on tour with Akinfenwa as the main attraction sat on the bench beaming away and posing for selfies with the kids !'

Great to have advice from one of the more successful teams in League One. I look forward to seeing Bayo score his first Championship goal. Lucky Oxford didn't come up against a serious manager in the play-off final. They might have los...oh.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Post on Oxford site.
    'Awful decision by Ainsworth and one of the clearest ‘heart ruling the head’ moments you will ever see in football. If Ainsworth was a serious manager no sentiment would have been shown and he’d have been released. It’ll be like a circus on tour with Akinfenwa as the main attraction sat on the bench beaming away and posing for selfies with the kids !'

Great to have advice from one of the more successful teams in League One. I look forward to seeing Bayo score his first Championship goal. Lucky Oxford didn't come up against a serious manager in the play-off final. They might have los...oh.

That's a serious quote ? great find

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Harry Kewell after we beat Crawley on the way to promotion from League Two:

"I was not disappointed with the way my players played. We played the right way. If that’s the way Wycombe want to play that’s fair enough, congratulations to them.

"Long ball and hope. It wasn’t as if they scored from open play. They made the referee make decisions and Jacobson has a wonderful delivery and with that came three goals."

https://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/kewell-embarrassing-amount-free-kicks-and-wycombes-style-2057737

That's managerial genius Harry Kewell, who is currently managing [checks notes] no one.

To be fair we weren’t great that night.

• edited July 2020

Per Harry Kewell's quote, did I miss the bit where set pieces are only worth half a goal? Anyone would think it is easiest thing in the world to score from a set piece, given the upturned noses at our proficiency from them. And yet in the Premier League, corners (if taken long at all) struggle to beat the first man. Funny that. Hilariously, in the cup semi between Arsenal and Man City, one the commentators excused yet another terrible cross with the explanation that "it is almost impossible to get good deliveries into the box nowadays, owing to the ball being lighter." You could not make it up.

As for the Oxford quote, that could just as easily have been posted when we went from L2 to L1. Yet somehow, we luckily won a ton of games accidentally, were pulled up into the playoffs by a tractor beam of conspiracy, and backed into winning the whole thing by doing nothing but defending and taking set pieces. How we scored a total of 8 goals to 4 (the four of which included two of those dreaded penalties and a fluke) shall remain one of the mysteries of the universe....well, one of the mysteries of Oxford.

• Oh, and we hammered Crawley 4-0 in the home game that season with all four goals coming from open play. Pick your poison, Mr. Kewell.

• My favourite part is how they've got rugby union in the URL.

• edited July 2020

Sunderland have a thread where they can't believe we're in a division above them! Love it.

It's a strange thing in football, where clubs who have done very little in decades, still seem to think they have a real status.

Oxford with their 80s cup win, despite playing in a 3 sided rented ground, Sunderland, who I'd imagine you'd have to be well over 50 to remember them as any sort of giant.

Anyone of my age might remember a couple of decent seasons in the Premier league, and a couple of second tier wins, but mostly a story of abject management, and continually battling relegation, in the massive shadow of their neighbours.

• I assume this was prompted by Leeds' promotion, but I couldn't agree more.

• I may be maligning the man but didn't Karl Robinson say something ridiculous along the lines of by every measure except goals we were the superior team in every department...

• @Wendoverman said:
    I may be maligning the man but didn't Karl Robinson say something ridiculous along the lines of by every measure except goals we were the superior team in every department...

Pretty much

• Ah, brings back memories of Luton being the best team in L2 by every measure but points.

• I think he's been pretty dignified in victory and defeat against us this season as it goes.

Seems like a decent enough bloke to me

• edited July 2020

Never said he wasn't decent and I support his right to express his views, however much I may disagree with them, in whatever way he feels @eric_plant . I myself miss his Scouse meanderings on 3CR after MK games when I'm driving home after a match.

• A quote from Darragh McAnthony on the BBC looking at dramatic final matches in the championship - from 2013. Sound familiar?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52426367

There always have to be losers, but none more unfortunate than Peterborough United.

Darren Ferguson's side went into their season-ender at Crystal Palace above the bottom three on goal difference after a run of just one defeat in 12.

Posh led into the final 10 minutes at Selhurst Park but Mile Jedinak's 89th-minute goal - in off his shoulder - saw them lose 3-2 and go down despite having 54 points, the highest by a relegated team in Championship history.

"It'll never happen again. It's in the Guinness World Records," Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire in 2016.

"We were growing. We would have been top 12 the next season. It would've been Bournemouth-like stuff. We could have sold players for £10-12m. It would have changed everything."

• Oh what might have been...

• I still don't understand why they leave it so late in the season to start trying to get points.