Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford (Play-off Final)

Comments

• @Aylesburyblue said:
    With the extra money coming in do we think our playing style will change or is this Gaz style regardless of budget etc.I was always a firm believer that our style was because of our budget.

Our money gap to those around us will never have been as big as it is next season. Containment, set pieces and spirit will be the order of the day. We will need our players to keep the ball more though or we'll get what Hull are currently getting.

• @Aylesburyblue said:
    With the extra money coming in do we think our playing style will change or is this Gaz style regardless of budget etc.I was always a firm believer that our style was because of our budget.

It depends in what way you mean change.

We'll always work hard and close teams down and battle.

But we probably won't be able to start Bayo as often. Though we have been saying that for years now!

• Anyone else still an emotional mess?

I love each and every person associated with this football club.

Memories to cherish that will last a lifetime

• @DevC said:
    Would be interesting t be a fly on the wall at the club today.

Initially sheer elation I imagine but sooner or later thoughts will turn to the magnitude of the decisions which now await

I believe we get £10m or so of TV money next season - huge money for us. But obviously the standard of opposition is a step change on.

Which players to keep - which to let go
    How much of that money to spend on wages and transfer fees (?) of new players
    What to do about existing kept players (they deserve to share in the financial windfall but I think you can only do that by extending contracts)
    Will the higher profile mean bigger clubs come for our better players (Stewart is out of contract I believe - he can have done himself no harm with his performance last night)
    Surely Gareth will want to lead the club in the Champ next season but at the same time surely his star will never have been so high.l

Lovely problems to have but quite daunting nonetheless.

I have some similar thoughts re Gaz. He has taken us way beyond what could ever have been reasonably expected and even with the incredible mix of grit and talent we currently have, you have to wonder how much further any manager could possibly take us. There are very few (if any) clubs of our size that have gone on to be competitive in the Championship.

With that in mind, I wonder if an attractive offer next season could finally tempt him away.

Whatever happens next season I imagine we will need to show him a proper plan for long term progress if we want to retain his services. I guess that involves steadily increasing the playing budget, giving him the chance to evolve a new group of ‘Generals’ and ensuring if and when players are sold that he is able to re-invest a decent chunk back into the team.

• edited July 2020

The extra money coming in is irrelevant so far as competing in the Championship. We will still probably have the lowest revenue of every Championship team. So no I don't think the playing style will change. We may just get a few players with a bit more pace and hopefully a regular goalscorer.

• Oh...first 'Gaz will be tempted away' of the summer. He is top dog with a team he has assembled with the fighting spirit he embodies. I suspect he will want at least one season with us...and he may even believe we've got a fighting chance of staying up!
    He will only get a chance at a struggling club and he may not want to risk that at this stage.
    If we go down with a tiny budget it will not be a blemish on his CV.

• The Couhig plan was to take us to the championship. But noone could have thought it'd be this soon!

So I wonder what Rob thinks of things!

Do us up, take us up, and sell for a profit was the MO wasn't it?

• Never chance @DevC, in an uncertain world you are a beacon of reliability.

• I don't think GA will leave for a while now, even if we go down. My long term desire is that we plan for succession not necessarily with an individual in mind, but an ethos - to carry on being a club which values team unity and man motivation. I would love this to become "The Wycombe Way", and GA's long term legacy.

• As far as @trevor, I thought we established he is a classic WUM-account run by @Wendoverman? Did they not twice post one after the other yesterday in perfect contrasting tone and comedic timing?

• For GA happiness means more than money. Wish more people had the same outlook.

• Gareth wanted to have the chance to manage in the championship one day, and he's got that chance here. Absolutely no reason to leave even for QPR or Blackburn this year now.

And if/when there is a need to go, 2 promotions and a miraculous survival is one heck of a cv.

• @Shev said:
    As far as @trevor, I thought we established he is a classic WUM-account run by @Wendoverman? Did they not twice post one after the other yesterday in perfect contrasting tone and comedic timing?

I have always suspected @Wendoverman is a bit of a Jekyll & Hyde character.

• Somewhere today I heard GA quoted as saying - we won't have the budget to compete for top quality Championship players, so why settle for 2nd or 3rd best? Instead we'll be going for top characters.
    No change there then, it's worked so far.

• @MindlessDrugHoover I will be getting a copy of the full broadcast on Thursday when I'm next in. Will share it with Matt at the club to see if anything can be done to match up with any footage they have.

Failing that, I'll make an audio highlights package if I get the chance

• I don’t think quite enough has been said about what a tactical masterclass that was from Gareth yesterday. He is so much more than just a great man-manager and motivator.

The way he got Grimmer man-marking Browne as their dangerman was great (and fantastically implemented by Grimmer). I’ll admit that it panicked me initially to see our right back roving all over the pitch but every time we had Wheeler tucking into the gap. Likewise he had Fred working his socks off on the left hand side.

I also think that bringing Matty Bloomfield off at half time was always part of the plan. He ran himself into the ground for 45 minutes and then Pattison was sent on to do exactly the same. Again I panicked when I saw Pattison come on so early but how wrong I was. What a shift he put in to harrass their centre backs and track all over the pitch, especially when Bayo came on.

That said, you need the players to implement those plans and good god they did it.

Lastly, when I was blubbering at the final whistle, I started to think about all of those wonderful volunteers and members of the Trust who put so much effort into keeping our wonderful club afloat over the last few years. The Couhigs may have provided the tools to help Gareth but I fear that there wouldn’t still be a club without those volunteers. Yesterday really was for them.

Oh, and Anthony Stewart is an absolute God.

• Some great Adrian Durham sour grapes on Talksport this afternoon, Dean Ashton a little more complimentary.

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1594738800/1594740600/

Wycombe discussion starts 5 mins in to the 16:30-17:00 time slot.

• @Malone said:
    How about Ibe as a left field signing?

Career has gone off the rails a bit but there's an incredible talent in there.

What better place to rebuild from?
    50k a week down to say 3k a week might feel a huge step down, but at the moment he's on 0 a week. So who knows.

Sorry for posting a daily mail article. But if seems to me that Ibe needs a team and a manager that is happy to take talent that may have failed somewhere else, instil that never say die attitude and surround him with players that will build his confidence, believe in him and get him playing again.

Can anyone think of a football club that ticks those boxes?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8506347/Jordan-Ibe-opens-disaster-spell-Bournemouth-released-month.html

Bring him home Gaz.

As for seasons pro’s - Is Matty Philips in that bracket yet?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Some if us will have some tricky decisions to make about away games @mindlessdrughoover if Forest dont make and win the playoffs!

Same here..my youngest son is still mad that when Forest came to Adams Park in the League Cup we didn’t buy tickets in the away end but stayed in our regular season tickets (family stand).

• Wow, still yet to come down after last night. Really must get to bed soon but think I might struggle to get to sleep again. What a team, what a manager, what a football club...

I don’t think anyone else has linked to this tweet from last night but this video is simply fantastic - I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve watched it already and it still gives me chills down the spine. All credit to the media team and Bill Turnbull. Just perfect.

We Did It.

• That video is the perfect antidote to the painful nonsense from Adrian “wouldn’t let it lie” Durham on Talk Sport today.

Impossible to watch without a tear rolling down the cheek at the end. Try it. You’ll see...

• I have just sent a text to Adrian Durham, pointing out in a respectful manner the errors in his rant and reminding him of his duty as a broadcast journalist not to confuse opinions with facts.

• @mooneyman said:

@Shev said:
    As far as @trevor, I thought we established he is a classic WUM-account run by @Wendoverman? Did they not twice post one after the other yesterday in perfect contrasting tone and comedic timing?

I have always suspected @Wendoverman is a bit of a Jekyll & Hyde character.

I get in enough trouble with one account.

• Sorry I'm late, did I miss anything? Finally able to read through the 300+ new messages on this thread. People seem happy. I was happy on monday also.

• Good Morning Gasroomers. Fidget I can’t sleep either keep waking up with a smile on my face. Finding it difficult to take it all in. When we lost to Southend at Wembley I couldn’t speak to anyone for days. Now I want to shout at the top of my voice WYCOMBE ARE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP

• Just thought of something else.. . Were in the 3rd round of the FA cup !> @glasshalffull said:

I have just sent a text to Adrian Durham, pointing out in a respectful manner the errors in his rant and reminding him of his duty as a broadcast journalist not to confuse opinions with facts.

Oh please please let us know his response !

• Brilliant @NorsQuarters although I also admire the tolerance of your fellow drinkers

• Yeah, Norwegians are too polite @OakwoodExile :)

• @glasshalffull said:
    I have just sent a text to Adrian Durham, pointing out in a respectful manner the errors in his rant and reminding him of his duty as a broadcast journalist not to confuse opinions with facts.

Feel free to post his phone number here so we can, erm, "remind him of his duties" too.

• Has anybody on here looked at Oxford fans Yellow Forum? It's 31 pages of hilarity and sour grapes i loved reading their comments, LOL!!