Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford (Play-off Final)

Comments

• @bigred87 said:

@DJWYC14 said:
    I can see Scowen, O'Nien and McCarthy all coming back. The key reason being that they would want to- that's the Ainsworth effect

My thoughts exactly.... maybe mawson on a loan too

Now that would just be absolute madness. The least likely of the returnees though, bearing in mind he's played 25 games for Fulham this season.

• @Wendoverman said:
    £10 million? For Gareth and Dobbo? Is that right. I'm feeling more confident already. With their spotting skills we could afford another 20 players! :smile: You're right @MindlessDrugHoover when you saw the likes of Smyth, Scotty and Phillips all over Bayo, as well as the on field boys, the idea that he is some sort of ego maniac is just crazy. Bayo was also in the face of Stewart telling him how good he was and so on. Looking at some of the other forums, the amount of making up your own facts and 'clear' injustices is staggering. Sunderland for example seem to think they were going to get promoted when they were only a point a two ahead of us and we had games in hand and some winnable games to come. But we could not have done it? I still think we would have made the play-offs but even if not we took the chance we were given and beat two 'better footballing sides' over three games. They won't like our shithousery in the Championship of course, but every team will know what they are going to get and easily beat us, won't they? Won't they?

Sunderland weren't even ahead of us on points. Both on equal points and they had played 2 more.

But you'll always get one eyed fans. There were Oxford fans denying that was a pen last night for goodness sake!

• Are we 'as big as Swansea and Derby,' now? We need an Oxford fan to explain how it works.

• If Fred performs next season and we were to be relegated, I would have thought he has the talent to command a very significant fee (contract doesn't expire until 2022), especially as he is an attacking player. Cant see him being sold to Millwall though!

• @floyd said:
    Are we 'as big as Swansea and Derby,' now? We need an Oxford fan to explain how it works.

In fairness, I feel he was alluding to the size of Oxford as a town and in which case I guess he was about right.

• I am so glad we don't have to watch those tinpot L1 clubs every week any more, like Sunderland, Peterborough and Oxford...

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Another though I've had is that last night was the moment when the mantle of greatest ever Wycombe manager definitively passed from St. Martin to Gaz. And how great and appropriate it was to have the handover carried out on the Quest highlights show by St. Martin himself.

I feel exactly the same @OakwoodExile. Lovely moment.

• Well, I think I’ve just about come back down to earth. I didn’t even know where High Wycombe was when I was sent by the BBC to cover the FA Cup tie against Middlesbrough all those years ago, but this wonderful little club has become a very big part of my life. I’m honoured and privileged to be associated with WWFC. I may have upset a few people along the way, but everything I say and do is motivated by my love for this club. I am very proud of our fantastic achievement and all the hard work that went into it. Savour this moment, it doesn’t get much better than this.

• @Shev said:
    I am so glad we don't have to watch those tinpot L1 clubs every week any more, like Sunderland, Peterborough and Oxford...

LOL @Shev, and demonstrates that L1 is pretty robust and no pushover as a league, otherwise all the 'big' clubs would walk it!

• Yes, L1 will be a bonanza of free-flowing football, sportsmanship and enthusiastic fan forums congratulating each other on their team's approach . While we worry that Forest, Derby or Norwich might put a couple past us as we are not able to step up.

• Question for @bluntphil - do you know if there'll be a chance to watch highlights with your commentary attached? Or even have some 3CR audio highlights available to stream?

• @ValleyWanderer said:

@floyd said:
    Are we 'as big as Swansea and Derby,' now? We need an Oxford fan to explain how it works.

In fairness, I feel he was alluding to the size of Oxford as a town and in which case I guess he was about right.

You're more generous than i am!

• Even if they meant the size of the city they're some way off: Oxford's population is just over 150,000; both Derby and Swansea's populations are around 250,000.

• NTT20 well worth a listen as always, particularly as one of them is an Oxford fan.

• edited July 2020

Although not having been league sides years in many cases since well before most of us were born we’re far from rare in reaching tier 2 as a “small provincial club”.
    Hereford, Bury (winning the FA cup over a 100 years ago makes them far from a big club after all Marlow got to the semi finals 20 years before), Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe, Doncaster, Wrexham, Wimbledon, Wigan (pre big money times), Crewe, Rotherham, Mansfield are all small clubs from medium sized towns with few resources at the time they reached it who also did it) .

That doesn’t in the slightest take away from what we’ve done but also don’t make out we’re anywhere near the first plucky small timers to do it. It’s almost a bit patronising.

• It will be interesting to see what the market is like for footballers this transfer window. I can see a lot of clubs cutting costs and not renewing contracts for some quite decent footballers. There may be some real bargains out there. Maybe too many

• @DPR97 said:
    Although not having been league sides years in many cases since well before most of us were born we’re far from rare in reaching tier 2 as a “small provincial club”.
    Hereford, Bury (winning the FA cup over a 100 years ago makes them far from a big club after all Marlow got to the semi finals 20 years before), Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe, Doncaster, Wrexham, Wimbledon, Wigan (pre big money times), Crewe, Rotherham, Mansfield are all small clubs from medium sized towns with few resources at the time they reached it who also did it) .

That doesn’t in the slightest take away from what we’ve done but also don’t make out we’re anywhere near the first plucky small timers to do it. It’s almost a bit patronising.

I think the reason it feels like a bigger story is that it is getting harder to do. Similar to why Leicester winning the league feels to me like a crazier achievement than Derby or Forest back in the day (sorry @Wendoverman and @Forest_Blue).

• @Shev Exactly. It's never been harder to do.

• But let's not forget we only did it after a significant cash injection last summer that brought us Fred, Wheeler, Grimmer and, ahem, Josh Parker. I'm not sure we'd have finished quite so highly if our summer signings had been limited to Alex Pattison and JGS.

• Clearly not everyone sees what the gaffer sees in a player

• edited July 2020

@Shev you're sacked. (But yes...Cloughie never arrived where there was no money. The strength of him and Peter Taylor (like Gaz and Dobbo) was re-vitalising the players they had whilst seeing something in older, troublesome or under-performing discards that they could add to the mix. Though the cash was useful, I still reckon the likes of Fred and Grimmer also came because they saw something in the set-up that appealed to them.)

• Not many teams confirmed for the Championship next season, but I get the feeling we won't be playing Hull - 6-0 down to Wigan and it's not half-time yet. Ouch.

• Correction: 7-0

• @bookertease said:
    It will be interesting to see what the market is like for footballers this transfer window. I can see a lot of clubs cutting costs and not renewing contracts for some quite decent footballers. There may be some real bargains out there. Maybe too many

Definitely a buyers' market this summer. Hopefully we can utilise that to maximum effect.

• @aloysius said:
    But let's not forget we only did it after a significant cash injection last summer that brought us Fred, Wheeler, Grimmer and, ahem, Josh Parker. I'm not sure we'd have finished quite so highly if our summer signings had been limited to Alex Pattison and JGS.

Your take is always tinged with the downplaying/ negative isn't it son.

Please tell me you have some enjoyment of this achievement?

• We know the management like a small close knit squad with everyone supporting each other and safe in the knowledge there is a good chance they will get games. I would imagine any influx would be used for making wages attractive rather than for buying. I would assume Gaz and Dobbo already have targets in mind. I would also assume I know nothing and will be as surprised as anyone with the summer signings (or panicking because of the lack of same!)

• @trevor said:

@Alexo said:

@trevor said:

@Alexo said:

@trevor said:
    ffs have to attack now stop siting back and letting them play

Fuck off

why swearing at me for no need for it

I said sorry. It was was the heat of the moment. I took it as in needed negativity. I retract the swear

i know people don't like me here but i do want wycombe to win end of the day .

If you want to know why people on here don’t seem to like you, it may be worth asking yourself the question: “why were the only posts I sent last night on probably Wycombe’s greatest ever day, moaning about our tactics, etc and confined to the short period between Oxford equalising and is taking the lead again? Why didn’t I recognise how brilliantly we had done to beat and outwit a pretty good team and gain a well-deserved promotion?”

Still, never mind. I’m sure we’ll hear plenty from you next year.

PS: I like you. You make my natural pessimism about our chances in any game seem positively upbeat

• I like Trevor too. Pooh would be nothing without Eeyore, and the gasroom would be nothing without Trevor.

• @bookertease said:

@trevor said:

@Alexo said:

@trevor said:

@Alexo said:

@trevor said:
    ffs have to attack now stop siting back and letting them play

Fuck off

why swearing at me for no need for it

I said sorry. It was was the heat of the moment. I took it as in needed negativity. I retract the swear

i know people don't like me here but i do want wycombe to win end of the day .

If you want to know why people on here don’t seem to like you, it may be worth asking yourself the question: “why were the only posts I sent last night on probably Wycombe’s greatest ever day, moaning about our tactics, etc and confined to the short period between Oxford equalising and is taking the lead again? Why didn’t I recognise how brilliantly we had done to beat and outwit a pretty good team and gain a well-deserved promotion?”

Still, never mind. I’m sure we’ll hear plenty from you next year.

PS: I like you. You make my natural pessimism about our chances in any game seem positively upbeat

It is an odd account. But you know it's just, with all due respect, some slightly dense old guy.
    Whereas the Richie/Emu account is someone with a very bitter and obvious narrative.

• With the extra money coming in do we think our playing style will change or is this Gaz style regardless of budget etc.I was always a firm believer that our style was because of our budget.