Skip to content

Season Ticket Info - Pricing out tomorrow

Comments

• Agree, its goes some way to addressing the issues raised. However, when I was 14 or 15 I used to pay next to nothing to get in to AP. And as such (despite watching Sanchez's dire brand of football) am now a fan for life. I think that pricing juniors out of the game will have ramifications not now, not next year, but further down the line - which, is one of the principle differences of Trust ownership and the current model - short termism

• Excellent response from Rob. Fans talked (shouted) and the club listened...I like that.

• Well worded, sensible reply, for many the tickets are affordable but being taken for a mug was the bigger concern.

• And I’m in the same boat with an under 12 ticket and a junior on the cusp of young adult and a full price in the family stand...and I donated the refund to the playing budget first...head is spinning but we will be there with season tickets next year...

• @Tom said:
    Agree, its goes some way to addressing the issues raised. However, when I was 14 or 15 I used to pay next to nothing to get in to AP. And as such (despite watching Sanchez's dire brand of football) am now a fan for life. I think that pricing juniors out of the game will have ramifications not now, not next year, but further down the line - which, is one of the principle differences of Trust ownership and the current model - short termism

I once got a 3 year student ticket for £120!

Seems amazing looking back.

• @Username said:

@Malone said:

That statement almost needs a new thread.

Excellent response

1)Family stand kids now reduced from £190 to £95
    2)Rebate option instead of just the £10 i follow pass if you buy a ST and can't get in.
    3)Ability to change your waiver response if you so feel.

That's a really decent summary of the key points, and they address the 3 biggest issues.

I'm impressed by the swift response by RC

Part 2 is the absolute critical one - i will immediately sign up for my renewal tomorrow now, as it takes the risk out completely.

• @Malone yep.. But we're hooked for life aren't we. You price kids out now and you won't get that reward in 10-15 years, well after the 'worldwide wanderers phenomenon' has moved on

• I appreciate them making the statement, but have to say doesn’t alter my position. Still cannot afford FA prices for me and the kids me and don’t really like the view from the family stand (though I am sure you get used to it).

Also the comment “no longer will season ticket holders be receiving such a level of discount” is interesting. Means I will probably just buy ad hoc games as and when I can rather than making the commitment on a season ticket (1st time in 20 years). And I probably won’t take the kids as often unfortunately.

• Doesn't alter my situation but regardless am still grateful and appreciative that the club hierarchy listen to its fans

• @Fishbowl said:
    I appreciate them making the statement, but have to say doesn’t alter my position. Still cannot afford FA prices for me and the kids me and don’t really like the view from the family stand (though I am sure you get used to it).

Also the comment “no longer will season ticket holders be receiving such a level of discount” is interesting. Means I will probably just buy ad hoc games as and when I can rather than making the commitment on a season ticket (1st time in 20 years). And I probably won’t take the kids as often unfortunately.

Without wanting to sound like I'm having a go, I dont think you can really moan at the club for not being able to afford the absolute premium seats in the house.

• They’ve done an excellent job with that statement. I’m pleased they’ve stuck to the principle of rational price increase and not undermining value in the tickets by giving them away for free. At the same time they’ve listened to valid feedback and addressed it swiftly. A lot of organisations bungle this sort of situation. Deadline with it inside 24 hrs is pretty good going.

I’d still like to see some tickets given away to organisations supporting children that have no chance of attending a game otherwise.

• @Glenactico said:
    They’ve done an excellent job with that statement. I’m pleased they’ve stuck to the principle of rational price increase and not undermining value in the tickets by giving them away for free. At the same time they’ve listened to valid feedback and addressed it swiftly. A lot of organisations bungle this sort of situation. Deadline with it inside 24 hrs is pretty good going.

I’d still like to see some tickets given away to organisations supporting children that have no chance of attending a game otherwise.

I'm almost certain that community tickets will still be a thing through WWSET

• Excellent response by Rob. My faith restored. A class act.

• Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate that we have been spoiled by kids being free throughout the ground for the past couple of seasons, but a £500+ increase in one hit for 3 tickets is still hard to take.

I may well try out the family stand at some point over the season (assuming things return to normal at some point) and maybe I can be converted, but I have sat it the same seat since the stand was built (and stood in roughly the same position before that) and the thought that I won’t be there next year with the kids is gutting. Guess I am just a creature of habit.

• I think that a lot of Rob's thinking is based on the fact that, up until now, we've given away tickets to young kids, who might not always go to all the games, and also, in the past we've priced season tickets to enable fans to miss a number of games and still break even or even be quids in. If we get promoted, and the virus dies right down, we're looking at a fair few potential sell-outs. What's the point of announcing a sell-out, when there are perhaps only 8,000 in the ground? None of those empty seats belonging to season-ticket holders can be resold. If there's the opportunity for more fans to buy on the day, and fewer wasted seats, then it would be easier to achieve genuine sell-outs, with more money going on food, drink, and 'merch' (sorry). It might seem unpalatable at first, but Rob's probably saying, in a roundabout way, that if you're not going to attend all or nearly all the games, don't buy a ST, pay on the day, and release a seat you might not use much for someone else.

• edited June 2020

I always thought the freebies in the Frank Adams stand was a bit strange, but never really overthought it.
    But when you read Rob C saying it also had a negative effect of tying up premium seats for no guarantee the kid has actually gone, you start realising the difference between the trust volunteers and proper business men.

• The number of ‘free’ games that come with a ST are important. There are few, if any home matches that a non-ST holder can’t get a ticket for so, if you think you may may miss 4 or more games, why buy a ST?

• @Doob said:
    The number of ‘free’ games that come with a ST are important. There are few, if any home matches that a non-ST holder can’t get a ticket for so, if you think you may may miss 4 or more games, why buy a ST?

A valid point, but I think the situation if we were to make the championship is very different to if we stay in league 1.

If we're in league 1 I'm with you, 4 games seems 1 or 2 light to me

If we're in the Championship though there could be a large number of matches with really high demand, sell outs in some sections, if no shows were a significant problem in premium areas last season for big games, then it's understandable that the owners will want to guard against that continuing.

• @Doob said:
    The number of ‘free’ games that come with a ST are important. There are few, if any home matches that a non-ST holder can’t get a ticket for so, if you think you may may miss 4 or more games, why buy a ST?

Priority for all-ticket matches e.g. Spurs away

• @Doob said:

Worth remembering the potential impact on Trust members voting rights on all this. You need to have a current season ticket to vote on enshrined rights.
    Whilst I understand the free game element I've never really kept a tally of how I did each season.

• @Malone said:
    I always thought the freebies in the Frank Adams stand was a bit strange, but never really overthought it.
    But when you read Rob C saying it also had a negative effect of tying up premium seats for no guarantee the kid has actually gone, you start realising the difference between the trust volunteers and proper business men.

I hated having three poorly behaved kids in front of me and was so glad they moved away this season. To think they got those seats for free always grated as they rarely watched the game.

I wonder why the Frank Adams stand is priced under one bracket. Why not make the end sections available with kids discounted and maybe at a discount to the centre sections for adults too?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I wonder why the Frank Adams stand is priced under one bracket.

Because otherwise, people could just buy tickets for the wing sections, then move undetected into the central sections. That is what used to happen until a number of years back.

• Earlier in this thread, Onlooker posted the 2019/20 prices for comparison, but I don't think these were the original Early Bird ST renewal prices, as my credit card statement shows I paid £242 for a Senior in the Family Stand (think this included a £2 admin charge). So, with regards to the prices being quoted now, are these just for ST renewals, or will they remain the same?

• @Doob said:

I probably miss about 8. But I have a ST because i want to see the club survive and possibly thrive.

I completely understand household budgets and hard choices, so I don't need a reminder on that subject, but I can see posters on here who have complained in the past about our lack of financial heft in the transfer market who now want free tickets, reduced pricing for the 'best seats in the house' etc. You can't have both.

It always irritated me how many people trotted out the 'fan owned club' thing by virtue of paying a tenner to the Trust. Some didn't even bother to do that but still romanticised about it. The only people who really had the right to associate themselves with that were the people who gave up time and made an effort to improve things - individuals who were quite often given ridiculous amounts of grief for their troubles.

My ST seems to have stayed the same price for a while - if it hadn't, this wouldn't have been quite such a shock. I guess the club was following the old 'cut prices and they will come' theory that's often espoused? Well if they did come, it wasn't in great enough numbers.

I really wish football across the board in this country was a reasonably priced event for all the family, like it is in other countries. But for a variety of reasons, it isn't and while the masses continue to shell out eye-watering amounts every year to Sky / BT / Amazon etc for the privilege of watching the tediously predictable Premier League, that's not going to change.

We can't keep losing money like we have been and it was very upfront that the Couhigs were not going to be 'getting their chequebook out' to fund everything until they ran out of money.

• I’m sure there will be some that will say that RX should have foreseen problems with the 3 major points before this statement but regardless, it seems to be such a refreshing change to have people in charge that can:

A. Identify where fans have been unhappy and
    B: make a swift change, while addresses peoples concerns.

It’s almost as if there’s an adult running the club.

It could have been so easy for him to stick to his guns and say “I did warn people that we would make decisions that weren’t always popular”.

Light and dark blue quartered hats off.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

I hated having three poorly behaved kids in front of me and was so glad they moved away this season. To think they got those seats for free always grated as they rarely watched the game.

I wonder why the Frank Adams stand is priced under one bracket. Why not make the end sections available with kids discounted and maybe at a discount to the centre sections for adults too?

Because it never sells out so you can buy a cheaper ticket and just go and sit in the middle

• @TheDancingYak said:
    I’m sure there will be some that will say that RX should have foreseen problems with the 3 major points before this statement but regardless, it seems to be such a refreshing change to have people in charge that can:

A. Identify where fans have been unhappy and
    B: make a swift change, while addresses peoples concerns.

It’s almost as if there’s an adult running the club.

It could have been so easy for him to stick to his guns and say “I did warn people that we would make decisions that weren’t always popular”.

Light and dark blue quartered hats off.

The tactic of putting through unpopular things and then reversing on a section of it is a well used one over time. You still get through most of what you want and get credit for a u turn you planned all along

• Seems RiTM falls into the category at the start in the first sentence....

For me, it’s more prevalent for people to stick to the original decision even if they suspect it’s wrong for the sake of saving face or their own arrogance.

• Agree with the sentiment that it's good Rob reacted, but would've thought the reaction yesterday was to be expected with such a large shift in pricing and policy. He mentions that he doesn't know of any entertainment that allows kids in for free. I think this is extremely common in football (not EPL) and rugby especially the top flight. So maybe not in the US but defo common here.

However I'm with another poster who said they get pissed off with free kids tickets in the FA only to not watch and generally mess around all game so I'm cool with having the kids in the family stand and not the FA.

• Will,be interesting to see the stats of how many of the day one 500 change the refund choice and don't waive the refund to mitigate some of the shock of a 40% increase.