Skip to content

Season Ticket Info - Pricing out tomorrow

Comments

• edited June 2020

I didn't even look at the price rises yesterday, nor have I so far today. The reactions on Twitter was enough to "bury my head in the sand" for the time being. I was going to buy my wife a ST this season to add to the two for myself & son, however my interest cooled massively from the "nuclear" response. I knew that instead of making a rushed decision based on emotion, I had to sleep on it overnight. Now, having read the reaction of RC to the grievances of supporters, regarding the waiver of rebates preceding notifying the supporters of the price hike of STs & my major concern, that no refund of ticket money for games missed due to Covid attendance limitations, I have to admit that I am again back on track to buy 3 x Sts.
    I do however feel that one area where the new owners may not be in touch with reality, comes from this part of Robs' statement: "At no point did we feel it appropriate to ask for financial donations from fans, appreciating the challenging economic climate for everyone during lockdown at the peak of the pandemic". Strictly speaking, the real challenge has yet to hit a lot of us/families yet. Whilst the government are subsidising the economy" with furlough payments, the real challenge for a lot of families, including mine, will be at the end of furlough & many companies like mine, will start laying off their employees. Personally, I am pretty sure that I will have no income at all from the end of furlough, so if I don't take the STs now, I doubt very much I will have the impetus to buy "on the day" 3 tickets plus the "fan experience", in all likelyhood £70-100 per game? This is probably going to be one of the clubs biggest challenges for the coming season!
    Like many, i have thought for a while that the STs were too good a VFM & fully expected a price increase this season. I sincerely hope that the prices will freeze for at least next season as well, as football is, I fear, falling into the hands of the "prawn sandwich brigade", moving further away from its roots as a working mans sport for all.
    Oh, I forgot, I have automatically been promoted/demoted from a senior citizen to a normal price adult now. Bloody amazing what this lockdown has done for my looks!

• edited June 2020

@Tom said:
    @Malone yep.. But we're hooked for life aren't we. You price kids out now and you won't get that reward in 10-15 years, well after the 'worldwide wanderers phenomenon' has moved on

That's the point of the free entry for accompanied under 12s, build that relationship from an early age and you stand to reap the benefits for years to come. A large amount of the hardcore 4,000 were hooked during the O'Neill years and the club has dined out on that for decades afterwards.

It might not be the right strategy in the extraordinary situation we're in will most likely drastically reduce capacity below what demand would otherwise be, but dismissing the strategy out of hand is a bit odd.
    You would have thought their 'Chairboys Village' idea would benefit from having kids pestering their parents for an overpriced burger.

• @Username said:

@Glenactico said:
    They’ve done an excellent job with that statement. I’m pleased they’ve stuck to the principle of rational price increase and not undermining value in the tickets by giving them away for free. At the same time they’ve listened to valid feedback and addressed it swiftly. A lot of organisations bungle this sort of situation. Deadline with it inside 24 hrs is pretty good going.

I’d still like to see some tickets given away to organisations supporting children that have no chance of attending a game otherwise.

I'm almost certain that community tickets will still be a thing through WWSET

Let’s hope> @arnos_grove said:

@Doob said:
    The number of ‘free’ games that come with a ST are important. There are few, if any home matches that a non-ST holder can’t get a ticket for so, if you think you may may miss 4 or more games, why buy a ST?

I probably miss about 8. But I have a ST because i want to see the club survive and possibly thrive.

I completely understand household budgets and hard choices, so I don't need a reminder on that subject, but I can see posters on here who have complained in the past about our lack of financial heft in the transfer market who now want free tickets, reduced pricing for the 'best seats in the house' etc. You can't have both.

It always irritated me how many people trotted out the 'fan owned club' thing by virtue of paying a tenner to the Trust. Some didn't even bother to do that but still romanticised about it. The only people who really had the right to associate themselves with that were the people who gave up time and made an effort to improve things - individuals who were quite often given ridiculous amounts of grief for their troubles.

My ST seems to have stayed the same price for a while - if it hadn't, this wouldn't have been quite such a shock. I guess the club was following the old 'cut prices and they will come' theory that's often espoused? Well if they did come, it wasn't in great enough numbers.

I really wish football across the board in this country was a reasonably priced event for all the family, like it is in other countries. But for a variety of reasons, it isn't and while the masses continue to shell out eye-watering amounts every year to Sky / BT / Amazon etc for the privilege of watching the tediously predictable Premier League, that's not going to change.

We can't keep losing money like we have been and it was very upfront that the Couhigs were not going to be 'getting their chequebook out' to fund everything until they ran out of money.

Nail hit squarely on the head

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@Tom said:
    @Malone yep.. But we're hooked for life aren't we. You price kids out now and you won't get that reward in 10-15 years, well after the 'worldwide wanderers phenomenon' has moved on

That's the point of the free entry for accompanied under 12s, build that relationship from an early age and you stand to reap the benefits for years to come. A large amount of the hardcore 4,000 were hooked during the O'Neill years and the club has dined out on that for decades afterwards.

It might not be the right strategy in the extraordinary situation we're in will most likely drastically reduce capacity below what demand would otherwise be, but dismissing the strategy out of hand is a bit odd.
    You would have thought their 'Chairboys Village' idea would benefit from having kids pestering their parents for an overpriced burger.

£19 for a 23 game season really is a token amount. It's there to make sure that seats aren't being reserved on the off chance of someone turning up for one game a season, and the seat being reserved for 22

• Just a thought.

The club has held OAP prices for those who are on the 61-65 category and would have seen an increase.
    Could they do something similar for kid renewals? Maybe not keep the free element but build it up more slowly? It's horrible to think kids who are already on their path to being Wycombe fans could be stopped. The ckub would get the planned benefit of the adult renewal and not lose a whole family

New season tickets are one thing but the family element already part of the family should be helped.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Just a thought.

The club has held OAP prices for those who are on the 61-65 category and would have seen an increase.
    Could they do something similar for kid renewals? Maybe not keep the free element but build it up more slowly? It's horrible to think kids who are already on their path to being Wycombe fans could be stopped. The ckub would get the planned benefit of the adult renewal and not lose a whole family

New season tickets are one thing but the family element already part of the family should be helped.

Is anyone really priced out by £19 for 23 games?

• @Fishbowl said:
    I appreciate them making the statement, but have to say doesn’t alter my position. Still cannot afford FA prices for me and the kids me and don’t really like the view from the family stand (though I am sure you get used to it).

Also the comment “no longer will season ticket holders be receiving such a level of discount” is interesting. Means I will probably just buy ad hoc games as and when I can rather than making the commitment on a season ticket (1st time in 20 years). And I probably won’t take the kids as often unfortunately.

This is it for me, less reward for loyalty it seems. I think I'll go for individual match tickets and instead of passing up other events as I'm tied into my season ticket, I'll have a game off now and then.

I'll still do the vast majority, but excellent statement that made things clearer by Rob

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    Will,be interesting to see the stats of how many of the day one 500 change the refund choice and don't waive the refund to mitigate some of the shock of a 40% increase.

I certainly changed my mind and asked for it back! People also rushed out to buy season tickets because of the club mentioning 1st k getting guaranteed entry etc..think the remaining won't be rushing out to purchase.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Oh, I forgot, I have automatically been promoted/demoted from a senior citizen to a normal price adult now. Bloody amazing what this lockdown has done for my looks!

No, you're OK, if you had a senior season ticket last season you'll still be able to renew at the senior price.

• Thanks for those who clarified the issue around seniors - I had missed that part of the announcement

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    Will,be interesting to see the stats of how many of the day one 500 change the refund choice and don't waive the refund to mitigate some of the shock of a 40% increase.

I completed my form yesterday, moments before prices were announced. I didn’t really mind not getting a refund given how the situation was completely out of the clubs’ control. Now I’ve been asked to pay an extra £141 I’m reconsidering.

My anger (disappointment?) was with the games BCD no refund policy which I’m pleased they’ve rectified so quickly but the whole situation has left me frustrated.

A friend of mine has had a season ticket next to me for four years but now won’t be renewing. Unlike me he’s not been tied to the club all his life and it’s a very expensive outlay so I can’t really blame him. A small sample through a poll on Facebook would suggest he’s in the majority, which is very concerning.

• We’ve had it too good for too long. Taking a step back £8.50 a ticket for U11 and £12.50 for 12-18 in the FA is good value.
    The difficulty is the delta is massive in one hit.
    For a Family of 4, it’s a £870 increase on last season.
    The Trust have arguably caused this issue by making U12s free for so long.
    Reading Rob’s response it feels like that was already written and the halving of prices in the Family Stand ready for go if there was a backlash.
    Only time will tell if it affects sales, as until there is a vaccination for Covid you cannot really make a comparison.
    It would have been good if they’d announced this earlier and if we could have afforded it, done the price increases over 2 seasons.
    £150 for 12 year old in FA this season and then £295 next season.

• Very impressed with both the speed and integrity of RC's response. I wish we'd kept U12s tickets free, but can totally understand the reasons behind the change. perhaps someone ( @AlanCecil ?)can advocate for more 'quid a kid' games next season, regardless of what division we're in.

I think @arnos_grove has hit the nail on the head hasn't he? I wish football pricing across the board was more realistic, but not only is that not the case, the Couhigs have made it clear what their plans have been since day one. I know there are some families with some very difficult decisions to make, but given we might be playing in the 'fifth biggest league in Europe,' next season i don't think the prices are unreasonable.

• I just hope that RC hasn’t upset to many diehard STH with the price hike. If you want to increase capacity and put bums on seats. I’m not sure this is the way to do it.

• @johnthehair said:
    I just hope that RC hasn’t upset to many diehard STH with the price hike. If you want to increase capacity and put bums on seats. I’m not sure this is the way to do it.

Clearly he has..Pacified a few late yesterday with changes but still left Adult tickets very high..Can see many either not renewing and staying away or just buy on the day to selected matches.

• @johnthehair said:
    I just hope that RC hasn’t upset to many diehard STH with the price hike. If you want to increase capacity and put bums on seats. I’m not sure this is the way to do it.

It's such a hike, it's like they're budgeting in the refunds from the non played games this season.
    I'm still in 2minds about that now, but will renew the ST either way today.

• Im a diehard go every home game and about 75% of away games with my son who is 14 but wont be renewing. Will buy on day for selected games and do groundhopping instead.

• @Aok84 said:
    Im a diehard go every home game and about 75% of away games with my son who is 14 but wont be renewing. Will buy on day for selected games and do groundhopping instead.

That's sad to hear. Hopefully you come more often when the initial shock has reduced.

• Nothing really to add on the price hike that hasn't already been said.

However just reading through and seeing the amount of games some STH miss (some 2,4,6 and even 8 games) what do you do with your ticket when you cant make it? Pass it on to friends/family, neighbours etc or just leave the seat empty?

• This has shown crystal clearly that league football simply isnt sustainable as a business to me.

We had rock bottom prices and couldn't attract anywhere near the required numbers though the gate

Weve moved our prices up to around average and people then cant afford to go

Rock and hard place

• To paraphrase: “Believer in the fan experience over the level of football on the pitch” - R Couhig.
    WTF*<k! The level of football is the first and probably only principle of ‘fan experience’ - we will put up with long tea lines, terrible parking probs, rubbish sound system etc etc IF the football is fun. I really worry that the club is owned by someone who just doesn’t get it. Come on Pete speak up and tell Uncle what real footie is all about, please.

• edited June 2020

Here's what he said in full:

"First of all, the prices are the same as we agreed in March, and we stand by our affirmation that these prices are not dependent on the division we play in. I am a bigger believer in the value of the fan experience rather than the level of football on the pitch. We know that our prices stack up very reasonably in League 1, and even more so in the Championship, when compared to other clubs."

All I took that to mean was that he won't hike prices merely 'cause we're in a higher division/wants to give the same quality of matchday experience regardless of which division we're in. Fine by me.

Worth noting he is doing a Q&A early next week, though, so I'm sure he'd clarify.

• Hopefully properly vetted questions. Some of the comments in the chat box for the last Chairboys live were brain melting.

• @Username said:
    This has shown crystal clearly that league football simply isnt sustainable as a business to me.

We had rock bottom prices and couldn't attract anywhere near the required numbers though the gate

Rock and hard place

I think the number of season tickets renewed yesterday shows you've taken a couple of comments and made out its everyone. One of those has clearly stated he can afford it but doesn't want to. Very 2020 social media

@Username said:
    This has shown crystal clearly that league football simply isnt sustainable as a business to me.

Rock and hard place

I think the number of season tickets renewed yesterday shows you've taken a couple of comments and made out its everyone. One of those has clearly stated he can afford it but doesn't want to. Very 2020 social media

We'll see, I hope you're right, but whether people can't afford the price increase, or don't want to pay it, it's the same effect.

@Username said:

Rock and hard place

It is always a bit like this in fairness, as the loud minority will always outweigh the others.

A read around this forum and the FB page and you'd think barely anyone was renewing.

• You'd have to be pretty stupid to conclude that from here.

The reaction has been very balanced.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Nothing really to add on the price hike that hasn't already been said.

However just reading through and seeing the amount of games some STH miss (some 2,4,6 and even 8 games) what do you do with your ticket when you cant make it? Pass it on to friends/family, neighbours etc or just leave the seat empty?

Season Tickets are non-transferable so of course we would never dream of letting friends ‘borrow’ our tickets

• The day they come with photo ID is the day I’m not having one. If I can’t make it, I don’t see the problem.

• @bookertease said:

@ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Nothing really to add on the price hike that hasn't already been said.

Season Tickets are non-transferable so of course we would never dream of letting friends ‘borrow’ our tickets

Yep, totally out of order.
    Leave them with a pal maybe for safe keeping, or keeping the ticket in mind condition, but letting them go to the game? Scandalous.