Skip to content

EFL to allow crowds into games with immediate effect

Comments

• Left out the word family, apologies

• @Username said:
    Yes that is a real issue in society, no this isn't an instance of that

Why not? I'd be interested to know why the mud is being slung?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Surely you’re not suggesting that the Home Secretary, Britain’s first BAME cabinet minister who was born to a Ugandan-Indian, isn’t concerned about racism?

Not more than the Tory party, no

• edited June 2020

I only do the Facebook...never had a twitter account..but I've been shocked at the number of people I consider to be moderately intelligent posting stuff about 'racial attacks' on white men (cases from years ago when the accused was arrested tried and jailed) and ridiculously claiming there was 'no outrage' about the death of Lee Rigby. But what about...but what about...but what about posts for me tend to say more about the poster than the subject of the post, but that's just me. I don't do protests but I respect the rights of others to do it and most of the footage I have seen people have been masked (luckily coppers cannot biff you for that at the moment) even if not socially distancing. I am sure, given the high incidence of infection and death amongst the BAME community they have assessed the risk level in their individual cases and decided to go ahead. As for racism, I work with a black accountant who drives a nice car and is regularly stopped as he drives around East London...one day four times. The fourth time he expressed his irritation and was immediately threatened with arrest. I have never been stopped in forty years of driving even when I lived in the same area. I come from a working class council estate background and life was not easy for myself and my family...being a different race , especially in those olden days would have added another layer of hardship that many of us cannot even imagine. Things are better today but not that much better for many BAME people. I suggested some months ago, the lockdown will end with the government already planning on claiming everything is in place to protect the public ...when it isn't...and any subsequent spike will be blamed on those who don't use 'British common sense'. I'm pretty sure the £10 a car owner of the reopened car-park at Durdle Door estates will not be blamed as much as the anti-racism protests.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Surely you’re not suggesting that the Home Secretary, Britain’s first BAME cabinet minister who was born to a Ugandan-Indian, isn’t concerned about racism?

I'm suggesting exactly what I said, which is that I have never seen her as agitated about racism as she was about a statue of a slave trader taken down.

If you have evidence to the contrary I'd gladly accept it. Perhaps I've missed a lifetime of her campaigning against institutional racism. But I don't think I have. She is surely the most right wing Home Secretary in this country's history, and only last week was hailing legislation which removes freedom of movement as some sort of great moment for our country.

Oh, and just for the sake of accuracy, which I'm sure you won't mind as a journalist, Priti Patel is not "Britain’s first BAME cabinet minister"

• The fact that Margaret Thatcher is the Home Secretary's absolute hero says it all really!

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:

If he wanted a nuanced talk about it, it's a very strange way of going about it, and matches perfectly with the string of similar type posts all over social media designed to mock a real cause, not debate it.

• @Username said:

@glasshalffull said:

Not more than the Tory party, no

Surely this is a major factor in institutional racism. Someone who would have almost certainly experienced racism staying clear of it in her work so that she keeps her job.
    I'm no fan of Patel and her bullying needs to be investigated but she's not allowed to go off script in public and we are all poorer for that. Hancock using her and Sunak as examples of a diverse Government is laughable

• @Username said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:

If he wanted a nuanced talk about it, it's a very strange way of going about it, and matches perfectly with the string of similar type posts all over social media designed to mock a real cause, not debate it.

Where is the racism though?

Is it just a case as someone not so skilled in communicating their thoughts?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

OK, I'll bite. Where is Mr67's thread criticising the idiots who conga danced their way through VE Day street parties?

• If people danced the conga on VE celebration day and are not in the same household yes they are wrong.i didn't personally witness any such behaviour either live or on the TV but from your post I assume it happened and they shouldn't have done it You may disagree with my views but I aim to be consistent.

• @drcongo said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

OK, I'll bite. Where is Mr67's thread criticising the idiots who conga danced their way through VE Day street parties?

No idea. Are you saying that the original post was racist because it's the only comment @Mr67 made about lockdown breaches?
    Makes it really simple to call people racist but I'm not sure it gets to the racists or the problem in hand.

• The original post could certainly be construed as racist as it effectively condemned as “selfish” (with no attempt at empathy of understanding) those who attended the BLM protests - primarily BAME people, with no attempt to balance this with other, (I’ll say arguably but actually it’s indisputable), mass gatherings at VE get-together s, beaches, etc.

It may not have been the intent but it was poorly judged as posted.

• Racism isn't always intentional @Right_in_the_Middle, I'm sure you already know that though and just fancy a dig. Again.

• I'm sure Priti Patel is as concerned about equality for BAME people as Mrs Thatcher was about equality for women.

• So, are you saying that not every BAME person is allowed to be concerned about racism, just the ones who fit your political agenda?

• @glasshalffull said:
    So, are you saying that not every BAME person is allowed to be concerned about racism, just the ones who fit your political agenda?

If you are asking me if I think the majority of Conservative politicians from any background, sex, colour and creed put ideological financial and economic concerns above social concern of any kind...I say yes I think so.

• That was not my question. I’ll put it another way: are those people from BAME groups who don’t support the Labour Party allowed to have concerns about racism?

• Of course...are you asking me or @eric_plant I think I came in halfway through here. My opinion is I don't think Ms Patel gives much of a stuff about anything except her own career...other opinions are available.

• @Wendoverman said:

@glasshalffull said:
    So, are you saying that not every BAME person is allowed to be concerned about racism, just the ones who fit your political agenda?

If you are asking me if I think the majority of Conservative politicians from any background, sex, colour and creed put ideological financial and economic concerns above social concern of any kind...I say yes I think so.

@Wendoverman do you include Rob Couhig in that category?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I'm sure Priti Patel is as concerned about equality for BAME people as Mrs Thatcher was about equality for women.

I am astounded that Pritti with her cultural heritage could look on Maggie as her political heroine on joining the Tory party.

https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/1282-thatcher-the-pm-who-brought-racism-in-from-the-cold

• @aloysius As I don't know Rob who knows. I have not noted anything in his public pronouncements so far and as far as I know he hasn't been sacked or found out to be a liar. I know he's a Republican and I believe a Trump supporter so depends on how that makes you feel. I hope he's in the minority not in the majority. Fingers crossed. Other opinions are available.

• @glasshalffull said:
    That was not my question. I’ll put it another way: are those people from BAME groups who don’t support the Labour Party allowed to have concerns about racism?

This is the hottest take in Gasroom history

• It’s a question, not an opinion.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @aloysius As I don't know Rob who knows. I have not noted anything in his public pronouncements so far and as far as I know he hasn't been sacked or found out to be a liar. I know he's a Republican and I believe a Trump supporter so depends on how that makes you feel. I hope he's in the minority not in the majority. Fingers crossed. Other opinions are available.

I sincerely hope he's not a Trump supporter, a republican is fine, cultural differences need to be taken into account, but anyone still supporting Trump now with his level of intelligence is a racist sympathiser at absolute best , it's that clear now.

Probably a good idea not to speculate on RCs Trump views as it's so divisive

• Pretty sure I'm seeing a couple of posters sticking up for the same Priti Patel who believes in bringing back the death penalty. Incredible scenes.

• Famously though only if they're definitely guilty

• @Brownie said:
    Pretty sure I'm seeing a couple of posters sticking up for the same Priti Patel who believes in bringing back the death penalty. Incredible scenes.

That is truly shocking.

• How anyone can anything good to say about her is beyond me, the snippets of her behaviour that reached the media are only the tip of the iceberg, vile bully by all accounts.