Skip to content

Should the club show solidarity today with the black lives matter? (Yes)

Comments

• @glasshalffull said:

@Username said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Thanks Chairbo> @eric_plant said:

@glasshalffull said:

@Chris said:

@Shev said:
    MLK was extremely wise in his use of non-violent protests, as he realized that violence and peace are actual opposites, and counteract one another. If you use a flamethrower to put out a fire, you just make the fire larger.

I don’t agree that the end always justifies the means, even for an obviously worthy cause like this. If you approve violence as a way of highlighting an issue you are heading in a very dangerous direction.

Colin Kapernick led a peaceful protest against institutional racism in America. How did that go down?

Surely you aren’t advocating anything other than peaceful protests, are you?

Having seen even more videos of the inexcusable police behaviour, multiple examples caught on camera of attempted sabotaging and antagonising of peaceful protests and the president shooting rubber bullets at a peaceful protest so he can hold a bible in front of a church, in some places in America, violence is the only option left.

Trump is starting a race war rather than addressing race inequality

‘Violence is the only option left’. Is that really your solution? I don’t believe that the riots have been caused by genuine members of the black community. The peaceful protesters have been infiltrated by anarchists hellbent on causing trouble as happens all over the world including here in Britain.

What would you suggest the protestors do when the police are shooting them with rubber bullets and tear gas when they are peacefully protesting?

Just stop and accept that the state can kill people and then suppress protests with force? Their community is under attack and they have no where else to turn.

The vast majority of the violence has been directed towards the protestors, if you want to stop the violent protests, the violent oppression has to stop first

• I'm sorry "genuine members of the black community"? Are you for real?

• If there's one cross section of global society who aren't very well-versed or qualified to comment on American racial issues, it's old white guys from Buckinghamshire.

• Chris, I agree that some of the police tactics during these disturbances have been excessive, but you can’t just ignore the looting and criminal damage that has taken place.

• @YorkExile said:
    I'm sorry "genuine members of the black community"? Are you for real?

And what is wrong with that? People who live in the community as opposed to outsiders who join the protests just to cause trouble.

• When black people are being murdered by the police, why would your priority be property damage?

• @OxfordBlue said:
    If there's one cross section of global society who aren't very well-versed or qualified to comment on American racial issues, it's old white guys from Buckinghamshire.

What an offensive remark and I hope you have the good grace to retract it. Of course I recognise the grievances of black people in America, I merely said that violence is not the right way to express it whilst also pointing out that most of the violence is probably caused by outsiders who have little connection with the communities in question.

• @Chris said:
    When black people are being murdered by the police, why would your priority be property damage?

Did I say it was my priority?

• @glasshalffull said:

@YorkExile said:

And what is wrong with that? People who live in the community as opposed to outsiders who join the protests just to cause trouble.

That's been proven to be a deliberate misrepresentation to try and discredit the protests, just look at the arrest statistics.

And as Chris says, the destruction of property isn't ideal, but in comparison to the systematic murder and oppression of a community, it's irrelevant.

Economic impact is the only way to force change, whether that's peacefully or violently, when push comes to shove, the only thing which has actually consistently resulted in change has been action which has cost the ruling class too much money to not change their ways. This includes business owners who previously couldn't care less then demanding change so that their businesses aren't damaged, and the general taxpayers nothaving to live under curfew, or not wanting taxes increased to fund continued police operations etc

This is last resort stuff, but that's where some people are at

• If it's a choice between further decades of leaders like Trump, or movements towards racial equality and an eradication of targeted police brutality against African Americans, then in the future I am sure the means will have justified the end.

• I respect the views of those posters with whom I’ve been debating this issue. Black people in America have just cause for the anger they feel about police brutality and the attitude of their president, but I agree with those people in the affected communities who say that violence and criminal damage is not the way to solve the problems. Let’s hope that the voices of reason will be heard one day.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I respect the views of those posters with whom I’ve been debating this issue. Black people in America have just cause for the anger they feel about police brutality and the attitude of their president, but I agree with those people in the affected communities who say that violence and criminal damage is not the way to solve the problems. Let’s hope that the voices of reason will be heard one day.

As if the media would give a voice to anyone saying anything else though.

The whole agenda is to exaggerate (and even propagate) violence at protests to demonise the cause, while airing more moderate views to try and diminish support and sow division within protestors. If MLK ever advocated violence he would have been assassinated even sooner, and with this govt, anyone publically calling for anything other than peaceful protest would be in fear of their life... Which can't be said when the other side do the exact same thing

• Violence of the police gives credence to the violent reaction...then the violent reaction gives the government the excuse to become more violent. Protesters are protesters. Rioters and looters are rioters and looters. There is a clear difference. Outside of Minnesota when police forces have been non confrontational there has been calm. The actions of the Orange King are reprehensible...

• There have been several cities where the police have joined protestors.

Trump clearly showed his hand tear gassing and firing rubber bullets for a photo shoot, he is the aggressor, and with no police to protect them, you can't expect people to not fight back

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear where I stand, will leave this for a while. Makes a change to usual being able to have a reasonable debate with varied views on the internet without being called a libtard or snowflake though

• I agree. It’s just sad that certain posters implied I used racist terms when nothing could be further from the truth.

• @Username said:

@glasshalffull said:

@YorkExile said:

That's been proven to be a deliberate misrepresentation to try and discredit the protests, just look at the arrest statistics.

And as Chris says, the destruction of property isn't ideal, but in comparison to the systematic murder and oppression of a community, it's irrelevant.

Economic impact is the only way to force change, whether that's peacefully or violently, when push comes to shove, the only thing which has actually consistently resulted in change has been action which has cost the ruling class too much money to not change their ways. This includes business owners who previously couldn't care less then demanding change so that their businesses aren't damaged, and the general taxpayers nothaving to live under curfew, or not wanting taxes increased to fund continued police operations etc

"Systematic murder"

I'm sorry, I support BLM and I think it's extremely important to acknowledge the experiences and history of oppression experienced by minority groups.

HOWEVER, saying that the police are systematically murdering black people is completely false, exaggerated, and deliberately inflammatory.

I don't think anyone can deny that the police and society in America is characterised by institutional racism, but the police aren't systematically murdering black people. The whole US police force (all 975,000 of them) shot nine unarmed black men last year. Nine more than there should have been - and of course at a rate higher than the white population - but hardly "systematic murder".

This is a ridiculous statement

• @glasshalffull said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    If there's one cross section of global society who aren't very well-versed or qualified to comment on American racial issues, it's old white guys from Buckinghamshire.

What an offensive remark and I hope you have the good grace to retract it. Of course I recognise the grievances of black people in America, I merely said that violence is not the right way to express it whilst also pointing out that most of the violence is probably caused by outsiders who have little connection with the communities in question.

It wasn’t aimed at you specifically, nor is it offensive.

If you think the gasroom’s demographic is well qualified on the matter we’ll just have to disagree on this one.

• @WanderingDays said:

@Username said:

@glasshalffull said:

@YorkExile said:

"Systematic murder"

I'm sorry, I support BLM and I think it's extremely important to acknowledge the experiences and history of oppression experienced by minority groups.

HOWEVER, saying that the police are systematically murdering black people is completely false, exaggerated, and deliberately inflammatory.

I don't think anyone can deny that the police and society in America is characterised by institutional racism, but the police aren't systematically murdering black people. The whole US police force (all 975,000 of them) shot nine unarmed black men last year. Nine more than there should have been - and of course at a rate higher than the white population - but hardly "systematic murder".

When you delve into the stats, the numbers are far worse than that

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

In some cities the police killing rate of black people is higher than the murder rate. Quoting a low number of "unarmed deaths" in a country armed to the teeth, with a police force that is known to have many racist members with no qualms about opening fire or twisting the truth to make murder into self defence, is facetious IMO

The number, lack of justice for, andthe length of time they've been allowed to carry on equates to a whitewashed acceptable version of state sanctioned murder to me. It's not an organised campaign, but it's a willing acceptance and complicity - 50% of fired cops are rehired - and they only originally fired the guy from the George Floyd incident.

That's without even getting into the socio-economic racism that compounds the police brutality / racism issues -Trump was happy to let the poorest (disproportionately black) in the US go without healthcare as well as not bother with a proper reaction to the coronavirus- hospitals had to crowdfund for equipment. But didn't hesitate in finding funds to shoot the same community when they protest

• @OxfordBlue said:

@glasshalffull said:

@OxfordBlue said:

If you think the gasroom’s demographic is well qualified on the matter we’ll just have to disagree on this one.

I thought it was valid, fairly accurate and quite funny. I was a little surprised anyone on here would be upset by being called old white guys. Perhaps it was the being from Buckinghamshire part that some people found offensive.

• On the wider point I don’t think anyone is really supporting violence and destruction as the solution (although there is sadly evidence throughout history that it has been an effective driver of change) but I think a lot who have joined in the debate can empathise sufficiently to understand why some people feel it may be.

And of course there will be other groups who have a vested interest in fanning the flames, but the fires are only burning in the first place because of the genuine anger of the black community and it’s important to not lose sight of that.

• @Username said:

@WanderingDays said:

@Username said:

@glasshalffull said:

@YorkExile said:

"Systematic murder"

When you delve into the stats, the numbers are far worse than that

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

In some cities the police killing rate of black people is higher than the murder rate. Quoting a low number of "unarmed deaths" in a country armed to the teeth, with a police force that is known to have many racist members with no qualms about opening fire or twisting the truth to make murder into self defence, is facetious IMO

The number, lack of justice for, andthe length of time they've been allowed to carry on equates to a whitewashed acceptable version of state sanctioned murder to me. It's not an organised campaign, but it's a willing acceptance and complicity - 50% of fired cops are rehired - and they only originally fired the guy from the George Floyd incident.

That's without even getting into the socio-economic racism that compounds the police brutality / racism issues -Trump was happy to let the poorest (disproportionately black) in the US go without healthcare as well as not bother with a proper reaction to the coronavirus- hospitals had to crowdfund for equipment. But didn't hesitate in finding funds to shoot the same community when they protest

Absolute rubbish. It's not state sanctioned at all. There's racism ingrained into American society and their police force, but these murders have been going on for as long as anyone can remember, under many governments and many presidents. Trump obviously isn't helping, but it's a far deeper cultural and socioeconomic issue (as you elude to).

Similarly, your linked website shows that black people accounted for 24% of police murders, despite making up 13% of the total population. Disproportionate for sure, but once you've accounted for differences in arrest rates/crime rates, etc, it's not much of a difference

Of course, you could counter that by saying that the police deliberately target black people with their arrests, and I've no doubt that some police officers/forces do. But it's also undeniable that crime rates are higher in black communities. This is obviously the result of an array of socioeconomic factors including poverty, deprivation, urbanisation, immigration, etc.

The whole thing is an extremely deeply ingrained socioeconomic and cultural issue that can be traced back for centuries to colonialism, segregation, and slavery. Deep socioeconomic issues require understanding and acceptance of the experiences of other people in order to improve the situation. And importantly, you aren't going to persuade anyone to sway from their status quo of ambivalence, and turn them into a vehement anti-racist by accusing the police of "systematic murder" or "state-sanctioned murder". It's blatantly untrue, and it's simply going to make people disregard any of the correct and important claims about racism as ludicrous or false too. Completely counterproductive and damaging to the whole BLM movement

• You'd expect most cops who killed unarmed people to be convicted for murder. When they aren't, it starts to look a lot like 'state-sanctioned'.

• edited June 2020

@Chris said:
    You'd expect most cops who killed unarmed people to be convicted for murder. When they aren't, it starts to look a lot like 'state-sanctioned'.

Exactly this.

And I'm not saying Trump is sanctioning them, you're right @WanderingDays it's been going on forever - that's the problem. Black people have been consistently killed by police and the state does nothing, if you don't call that sanctioning fair enough, but it's at least condoning - it's far beyond the point it can be called a mistake, coincidence or oversight

• @Username said:

@Chris said:
    You'd expect most cops who killed unarmed people to be convicted for murder. When they aren't, it starts to look a lot like 'state-sanctioned'.

Exactly this.

And I'm not saying Trump is sanctioning them, you're right @WanderingDays it's been going on forever - that's the problem. Black people have been consistently killed by police and the state does nothing, if you don't call that sanctioning fair enough, but it's at least condoning - it's far beyond the point it can be called a mistake, coincidence or oversight

I'm not trying to equate the experiences of black and white people at the hands of the police here, but the lack of convictions for police officers is not black-specific (only one out of 100 police killings results in a conviction).

Yet nobody is accusing the police of systematically murdering (or state sanctioned murder of) white people. The racism in this situation is the deep structural and socioeconomic inequalities experienced by black people in the USA. Which includes the role of the police of course.

However, the murder of black people specifically is not systematic or state-sanctioned, and it's actively harmful to say otherwise because it is false, and lessens the importance and attention paid to the deeper and more important issues

• @WanderingDays said:

@Username said:

@Chris said:

Exactly this.

I'm not trying to equate the experiences of black and white people at the hands of the police here, but the lack of convictions for police officers is not black-specific (only one out of 100 police killings results in a conviction).

Yet nobody is accusing the police of systematically murdering (or state sanctioned murder of) white people. The racism in this situation is the deep structural and socioeconomic inequalities experienced by black people in the USA. Which includes the role of the police of course.

However, the murder of black people specifically is not systematic or state-sanctioned, and it's actively harmful to say otherwise because it is false, and lessens the importance and attention paid to the deeper and more important issues

I'll agree to disagree.

• What an offensive remark and I hope you have the good grace to retract it. Of course I recognise the grievances of black people in America, I merely said that violence is not the right way to express it whilst also pointing out that most of the violence is probably caused by outsiders who have little connection with the communities in question.

I’ll have to take your word for it that it wasn’t aimed at me specifically but it’s strange that ‘old white guy’ was singular rather than plural. It’s my prerogative to decide whether or not I was offended.

• You are being a bit overly-touchy there I think @glasshalffull. And unless it’s been edited since, it did say ‘old white guys’ (which a disproportionate amount of us on here palpably are).

And if you were offended by that god help you on Facebook/Twitter...

• @glasshalffull said:

I’ll have to take your word for it that it wasn’t aimed at me specifically but it’s strange that ‘old white guy’ was singular rather than plural. It’s my prerogative to decide whether or not I was offended.

For what it’s worth I assumed the old white guy jibe was aimed at the collective Gasroom.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I agree. It’s just sad that certain posters implied I used racist terms when nothing could be further from the truth.

I hope you don't think that I was implying any such thing, because I certainly wasn't. I was just quite taken aback by the turn of phrase that you used when referring to protests that are taking place across the whole of America. If you were referring to individuals that are not part of the local communities where the incidents are taking place, then I understand your point (although that narrative in itself has been proven false many times, as mentioned above).