Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• @Brownie said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52670556

Posh, Portsmouth, Fleetwood, Sunderland, Ipswich and our dear friends in Oxford releasing a joint statement the day before a private meeting is a good look...

Putting the pressure on after it looked like it had been sorted out, obvious to see who isn't in that list.

@bluntphil just made a point on twitter will be interesting to see financial model that allows this.

Supposedly the Prem are paying £4m on testing alone plus any quarantine hotels and basic costs that won't be met by paying punters

• Unfortunately, that's 25% of the division right there, so it just takes Bolton or Southend to jump on board and kill the vote.

I hope and believe Wycombe will act classily in this, and not bring a lawsuit if we miss out. It's a bad look based upon the health crisis, and those six clubs look horribly self-serving.

• Or is the vote all L1 and L2 combined?

• It should be noted that all those 6 clubs are relatively wealthy in terms of our level and have the funds to pay for all the necessary isolation and testing costs etc. I bet they won't help the lesser well off in our division to meet such costs.

• @Shev said:
    Unfortunately, that's 25% of the division right there, so it just takes Bolton or Southend to jump on board and kill the vote.

I hope and believe Wycombe will act classily in this, and not bring a lawsuit if we miss out. It's a bad look based upon the health crisis, and those six clubs look horribly self-serving.

Bolton and Southend being two clubs with notable financial constraints. Playing behind closed doors could kill at least one of the two.

• Does Oxford putting their name to this suggest that the case for WPPG has been lost?

• I wondered the same @DevC

Hasn't the preference to complete the season always been the stated aim of our club anyway? Just with Gareth's heavy caveat that the health of players, staff and their families comes first. And a second caveat (more based on my assumption) that we can't afford to go bust waiting.

The whole thing seems like a waste of paper to me. What happens if everyone votes tomorrow to continue? Do we have another vote next month when it's clearer no one can afford the astronomical cost of resumption?

• Surely it just means they want to finish the season on the pitch. Isn't that the best scenario?

No-one is saying when and I've still not heard a convincing financial argument to end this season and wait until August at the very earliest for next.

Funny who the gang of six's spokesman is though. He's normally so quiet.

• edited May 2020

Are we expecting an actual vote and result tomorrow?
    Or are they waiting to sync in with the premier league?

That gang of 6 really fancy themselves, what a bunch of dolts. Absolutely self serving crystal clear selfish motives.
    Shame the FA don't just say, right, that's Wycombe up 3rd, end of story.

• Why on earth have Ipswich got in on it? Their season is done.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Why on earth have Ipswich got in on it? Their season is done.

Because they can afford to do so.

• @Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Because they can afford to do so.

Of course, but they haven't got the same interests as the others. I can't see this getting far; there's no way they'll be able to convince the EFL that the whole league can finish behind closed doors. Also, doesn't only top level sport have the green light to resume at the moment?

• Quite ironic how Oxford aren't sitting on the fence

• @Last_Quarter said:

Hasn't the preference to complete the season always been the stated aim of our club anyway?

Have to assume we were invited to join the gang of six but declined.

Theoretically if they won all of their last 8 games they could sneak in the play offs. They do of course have the benefit of the best manager in this league!!

• edited May 2020

As @Malone said, it would be nice if the FA used the wisdom of Solomon to say "Wycombe are not bleating for the season to finish, while Oxford are, therefore Wycombe clearly believe they have the strongest case for going up in third, while Oxford know deep down they do not."

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Surely it just means they want to finish the season on the pitch. Isn't that the best scenario?

No-one is saying when and I've still not heard a convincing financial argument to end this season and wait until August at the very earliest for next.

Funny who the gang of six's spokesman is though. He's normally so quiet.

As some clubs have already said they won't / can't extend players contracts. Is there much sporting integrity in having this season decided by a mini league at the end with new squads, some decimated teams and some full strength.

That and a complete lack in confidence in the govt getting our situation anywhere near safe generally in the near future, so being able to release players will be necessary for plenty of teams I suspect

7 points off playoffs if they happen with in theory 8 to play, get rid of some bad form, plenty of £ splashing around, worth a go probably, remember they did pretty well last time it started up

• I thought they were further back than they are

• The transfer window opens on June 10th, so I assume the likes of Sunderland and Oxford could get in some Premier standard players.

• @DevC said:

@Last_Quarter said:

Hasn't the preference to complete the season always been the stated aim of our club anyway?

Have to assume we were invited to join the gang of six but declined.

Undoubtedly. However, it's not exactly expert PR to realise that it may be best to keep your mouth shut in public and argue your POV directly with the relevant authorities.

• @mooneyman exactly. Sporting integrity flies out of the window if by the time you restart you find yourself playing against against completely different XIs.

• Just when you think things are moving to a sensible, realistic conclusion, albeit one that still takes some thinking over - ie the playoffs with single legs and a final over half a week, this happens.

Putting this statement out on the verge of the takeover is very mischievous to say the least.

Well here's what Andy Holt thinks of it

It's always most interesting reading down the chain, and Gary Neville made some comment, that had this "solution" from some guy who clearly isn't much of a genius.

How on earth does he think Wycombe playing their game in hand out v Coventry would "wrap up" anything?!

Alan Wilson‏ @acw2606 · 1h1 hour ago
    Replying to @GNev2

Gary, I’ve just noticed that League One could be wrapped up with just two games, Coventry v Wycombe and Rochdale v Tranmere. Gives Wycombe chance of getting in to top 3 and Tranmere chance to get out of bottom 3.

• The statement and the clubs involved leads me to believe we are heading for promotion on straight PPG.

We don’t deserve promotion and neither do any other teams in our League until 44 or 47 games have been played.

The season should be cancelled and a new season started when it is safe to do so

• Oxford fans have certainly seemed to move from their smugness after that Athletic article to thinking the same.

Wouldn't have even made the playoffs.
    Worst ever promoted team etc.

Classless bunch.

• Strange how some Oxford fans are both so dismissive of and yet so obsessed by WWFC.

• I have just been texted from a friend who has connections with PNL senior management and he is suggesting that we ought to look at best routes to Carrow Road.
    Here's hoping he's correct

• @JohnnyAllAlone said:
    I have just been texted from a friend who has connections with PNL senior management and he is suggesting that we ought to look at best routes to Carrow Road.
    Here's hoping he's correct

Don't think there's any point us looking up routes. We wont be watching football there any time soon!