Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• edited May 2020

Oxford lot are suddenly a little less confident now, as they've spotted this link

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8304083/EFL-save-play-offs-attempt-decide-final-promotion-places-coronavirus-crisis.html

(Let's not do the usual moaning about whichever paper the link is in :) )

Seems sure it'll be straight PPG and how weighted has been ruled out, BUT...they're talking playoffs to settle 3rd.

Again, no solid sources, but another take on it.
    Not sure how you could go straight back into such important games that shape a season like that, but it "could" be a better method than just a random judgement on what sort of PPG you'll follow.
    But it'd be much easier to get 4 teams playing 1-2 games each than 24 all playing 9-10!

• @mooneyman said:
    The Government are clearly culpable relying on the advice of the likes of randy Professor Ferguson! His predictions have proved wildly inaccurate over the last 20 years but Boris still appointed him.

What is really bothering me is this new slogan and in particular the change in border colour. The 'Stay Alert' message is clearly nonsensical and designed purely to take your active brain away from thinking about why they've changed the border from red to green. Subliminally we are trained to see red as stop and green as go.

Why is the Government giving the Go signal?

• This business of it being a bit of a stretch to accept a team going from 8th to 3rd via ‘maths’ fails to take into consideration that we were 4th at the end of the last game we were allowed to play in the competition. At that point Oxford were 6th.

“Team that was top of the league for ages comes out well in PPG calculation shock”.

• edited May 2020

@LeedsBlue said:
    This business of it being a bit of a stretch to accept a team going from 8th to 3rd via ‘maths’ fails to take into consideration that we were 4th at the end of the last game we were allowed to play in the competition. At that point Oxford were 6th.

“Team that was top of the league for ages comes out well in PPG calculation shock”.

Agreed but you know football fans!
    We're also one win from being joint second.

Doing the table on whatever form of ppg and doing one leg play offs in July sounds the only solution that even vaguely keeps any sense of fair play.
    Even then there's narrow losers like Peterborough.

You'd have to do the 1 off play off semis in say a midweek and the final at the weekend, to minimise the time the players had to stay in absolute isolation. Plus obviously getting through a good 3 weeks of training first.
    Difficult, but a lot less impossible than any idea of completing the whole season.

• What is really bothering me is this new slogan and in particular the change in border colour. The 'Stay Alert' message is clearly nonsensical and designed purely to take your active brain away from thinking about why they've changed the border from red to green. Subliminally we are trained to see red as stop and green as go.

Seriously, you’re bothered about a slogan, a change of colour and your own interpretation of what that means?
    How about waiting to hear what the PM actually announces?

• What does ‘Stay Alert’ actually mean @glasshalffull?

I genuinely have no idea how to be alert against a piece of rna a few microns wide.

It’s like us being vigilant against terrorism, just a reassuring slogan with no practical application.

• @glasshalffull said:

What is really bothering me is this new slogan and in particular the change in border colour. The 'Stay Alert' message is clearly nonsensical and designed purely to take your active brain away from thinking about why they've changed the border from red to green. Subliminally we are trained to see red as stop and green as go.

Seriously, you’re bothered about a slogan, a change of colour and your own interpretation of what that means?

Well, for me;

A) Why wait when he has already briefed it to his employers at the telegraph
    B) The slogan would be less important than the policy if it looked like there actually was one.
    C) The old slogan was very clear and the new one is deliberately vague
    D) People are already breaking lockdown as it was made known that it would probably relaxed to some extent today
    E) It looks like he'll be caught between delivering the promised relaxation and all the other advice that it's a bad idea, so drive throughs, garden centres not much else
    F) The slogan and logo look like they were put together by children

But ya know, whatever. He'll be along in a minute, sure that'll reassure everyone.

• edited May 2020

They've literally had to release a statement explaining what the new slogan means ?‍♂️

• The start of the campaign was woefully vague, with all the "advice" when orders were needed.
    Really hope that going back to a vague plan doesn't lead to this dreaded second wave we've continually been warned about, with the gov then trying to blame people for doing their own thing.

• @glasshalffull said:

All this government does is trade in slogans and lies Alan. They have woefully mismanaged every stage of this pandemic, and any announcement of softening lockdown measures when we have the 2nd highest death rate in the world would be nothing short of ludicrous. Their "marketing" strategy is hugely important, I'm not sure how you can't see that.

But anyway... PPG?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@aloysius said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle just out of curiosity, what's changed your mind? When we both discussed this a week or so ago, you were very keen to prioritise reopening the economy.

...but I think the last two weeks have shown to me our Government are even more stupid than you could possibly think is possible.

Nope. I have full confidence that this government can reach previously unscaled heights of stupidity

• You lost it with your first sentence. As far as I can recall, the PM is not ‘employed’ by any newspaper, but if the story had appeared in, say, The Guardian, would that have made it ok?

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    What does ‘Stay Alert’ actually mean @glasshalffull?

I genuinely have no idea how to be alert against a piece of rna a few microns wide.

It’s like us being vigilant against terrorism, just a reassuring slogan with no practical application.

It’s a slogan. Personally, I don’t like any slogans as I think they trivialise the message they are trying to communicate.

• edited May 2020

@glasshalffull said:
    You lost it with your first sentence. As far as I can recall, the PM is not ‘employed’ by any newspaper, but if the story had appeared in, say, The Guardian, would that have made it ok?

He's been paid several hundreds of thousands of pounds a year for his column for years, possibly not since they helped him get the top job, as usual with him it's unclear but they cheerlead for him constantly and their owners tax dodge at alarming levels

• My word, this speech is an absolute car crash.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    My word, this speech is an absolute car crash.

The little arrow waving from stage to stage...

• Christ on a bike, that was a confusing mess.

There will literally be millions of people wondering whether they need to go to work in the morning.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@glasshalffull said:
    You lost it with your first sentence. As far as I can recall, the PM is not ‘employed’ by any newspaper, but if the story had appeared in, say, The Guardian, would that have made it ok?

He's been paid several hundreds of thousands of pounds a year for his column for years, possibly not since they helped him get the top job, as usual with him it's unclear but they cheerlead for him constantly and their owners tax dodge at alarming levels

You are perfectly entitled to your views, but can we just stick to the facts? The PM is not employed by any newspaper and he was elected as leader of the Conservative party by its members, not by the general public. He became PM because the country overwhelmingly favoured his party to form a government over any others.

• According to our Boris 30,000 deaths does not constitute a catastrophe, and is in fact a success. I have honestly no idea how anyone can sanely support that man.

• @glasshalffull said:

I did as you suggested. I am worried and on the border of outright scared. This much trailed broadcast was carefully stage managed to say as little as possible. Do I have to get up for work tomorrow and travel without public transport?

• For what it’s worth, I thought the use of the wavering arrow and most of the other graphics was really poor and I agree that his words to describe the 30,000 deaths was insensitive in the extreme.

• Should the club’s employees return to AP tomorrow?

• So the Government's own definition of their new buzzword "stay alert" means stay at home as much as possible and stay at home to work if it is possible.

I must be really thick, as I cannot understand the reason for this "clearer" instruction. I am however less disconserted with my understanding seeing that Nicola Sturgeon, Mark Drakeford and Arlene Foster also seem unable to comprehend the purpose of the change!

• No Johnson fan but tried to give him some leeway up to now recognising this was an unprecedented situation they were having to make up as they went along.
    Jeez though, that was fecking shambolic.

• @glasshalffull said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@glasshalffull said:

You are perfectly entitled to your views, but can we just stick to the facts? The PM is not employed by any newspaper and he was elected as leader of the Conservative party by its members, not by the general public. He became PM because the country overwhelmingly favoured his party to form a government over any others.

Wouldn't describe 29% of the electorate as overwhelming myself

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@glasshalffull said:

I did as you suggested. I am worried and on the border of outright scared. This much trailed broadcast was carefully stage managed to say as little as possible. Do I have to get up for work tomorrow and travel without public transport?

Yes. On foot or by bike. If you live more than a couple of miles away leave now. If you’re walking and someone comes the other way you must remain 2 metres apart. One of you must step into the road. Please be alert for bikes and cars and viruses when you do so in order to protect the NHS. However you do not need to worry about buses because they will be socially distancing.

It really was a farce. Why Wednesday for extra exercise? Is that because the legislation to increase fines has yet to be voted in? Maybe that’s the plan. Confuse the fuck out of us all and replenish the public purse through fines when we break rules we and the Police don’t understand.

• I only managed to catch the first five minutes or so. Karl Robinson says something along the lines of ‘some clubs not wanting to play’ and talks about their ‘motive’. I wonder if he can back that up with facts - I would be interested to know what he believes those clubs motives might be.

• @eric_plant

So how would you describe 43.6% of the vote, the largest percentage for any party for 40 years?

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant

So how would you describe 43.6% of the vote, the largest percentage for any party for 40 years?

Jeremy Corbyn may have had some influence in the result!

• I'd describe it as 29% of the electorate delivering a huge majority in an electoral system that is not fit for purpose