Skip to content

Cost to EFL clubs of games being played behind closed doors

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I have never understood all the anti-Liverpool sentiment. What's wrong with them winning the league?

You produce a lot of interesting content on here, but in some ways with your total disregarding of history and tradition it's like you literally arrived yesterday :)

• @glasshalffull said:
    Whether anyone likes the idea or not, they couldn’t possibly argue that Liverpool wouldn’t be worthy winners.

If they haven't legitimately won it, ie got more points than another team could overhaul, then yes they definitely could.

• @bigred87 said:
    Jamie Carragher, Jordan Henderson's face particularly
    his stupid looking mouth and iq, Roberto firminos teeth, Jurgen klopps teeth, Andy Robinson's gob, James Milner's jaw, Van dykes arrogance, there stupid little song before games, Steve Mcmanaman, Phil Thompson's nose, Steven Gerrard, there middle aged fan's wearing tracksuits...... shall i cary on?

Those t shirts backing a guy guilty of racism.
    Those "special Anfield nights"

• @drcongo said:
    I used to dislike Liverpool just because of the entitled nature of so many of their fan base after their dominant years but I absolutely love Klopp - as a human he seems very much like Gaz, a throughly decent person who treats everyone with respect whether they deserve it or not. I quite like Liverpool these days. And as far as we know they haven't bought the title by fiddling FFP rules.

Doesn't sound like he treats teams and people with respect when he's beaten by them though.
    Such as after the Atletico game recently?

Trying to depict them as lucky scufflers, despite them beating Liverpool in both games, and scoring 3 at Anfield!

Easy to be a nice guy when you're winning.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Used to often go to Crest Hotel at Handy Cross to see the Liverpool team leave before Wembley games.
    England used to stop there too until the Bryan Robson/Orchard Nightclub incident.

What happened?

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Whether anyone likes the idea or not, they couldn’t possibly argue that Liverpool wouldn’t be worthy winners.

If they haven't legitimately won it, ie got more points than another team could overhaul, then yes they definitely could.

I didn’t say worthy winners if the PL season was cancelled, I meant if it is completed.

• @drcongo said:
    I used to dislike Liverpool just because of the entitled nature of so many of their fan base after their dominant years but I absolutely love Klopp - as a human he seems very much like Gaz, a throughly decent person who treats everyone with respect whether they deserve it or not. I quite like Liverpool these days. And as far as we know they haven't bought the title by fiddling FFP rules.

A memorable day, we’ve finally found something that we agree on!

• edited March 2020

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I have never understood all the anti-Liverpool sentiment. What's wrong with them winning the league?

You produce a lot of interesting content on here, but in some ways with your total disregarding of history and tradition it's like you literally arrived yesterday :)

I've no idea what you're talking about. I genuinely don't understand the dislike towards them. The Suárez incident was handled disgracefully, but I fail to see what that has to do with the club today.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Used to often go to Crest Hotel at Handy Cross to see the Liverpool team leave before Wembley games.
    England used to stop there too until the Bryan Robson/Orchard Nightclub incident.

Is it possible to elaborate without exciting any lawyers?

• Just going back to the title of this thread for a moment.

Prem and champ clubs largely exist on TV and sponsorship money. Lg1 and Lg2 clubs that is a major part but so is gate money.

For the PL and the Champ clubs big questions now is 1) whether their contracts give any opportunity for rights holders to get out of paying 2) whether rights holders in this situation will survive to pay the bill if due.

lets assume for now the contracts are watertight.

The lower league clubs face the very real possibility of going out of business faced with possibly six months of no revenue.

The PL TV contract is worth £3,000m per year. (or £1500m for six months

In these exceptional circumstances divert just 2.5% of that to giving emergency funding to the 48 Lg1 and Lg2 clubs for six months, that would be £0.75m per club for six months - enough to keep most perhaps all the clubs in business.

Probably fantasy but these truly are unprecedented times.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

I didn’t say worthy winners if the PL season was cancelled, I meant if it is completed.

Fair enough chief. Yes, that is true.

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I've no idea what you're talking about. I genuinely don't understand the dislike towards them. The Suárez incident was handled disgracefully, but I fail to see what that has to do with the club today.

You're constantly saying things like you don't understand what the point of the FA cup is, replays, too many games, Bucks & Berks cup (though i agree with you on that) etc.

• edited March 2020

@Malone When have I ever said I don't understand what the point of the FA Cup is? Replays are arguably outdated and there are too many games; neither of those are uncommon viewpoints. I doubt I'm the only non-Liverpool fan who finds the resentment towards them a tad odd either.

• @Malone said:

@drcongo said:

Doesn't sound like he treats teams and people with respect when he's beaten by them though.
    Such as after the Atletico game recently?

Trying to depict them as lucky scufflers, despite them beating Liverpool in both games, and scoring 3 at Anfield!

Easy to be a nice guy when you're winning.

Exactly the quirky fun guy act soon disappeared didn't it!!

• @DevC and @drcongo have called the Liverpool thing spot on. I too used to dislike Liverpool and their fans as a kid, based on nothing more than a strange sounding accent, generally gobby attitude and the fact that they seemed to win everything in sight (how unfair).

As a grown-up, I admire the religious devotion of their fanbase, I have been entertained, as a football fan, by some of those great European comebacks in recent years and have massive respect for Mr Klopp as a person and as a manager. The letter he wrote back to that 10 yr old Man Utd fan was just typical of the guy. Liverpool are lucky to have him.

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

From what I remember, Captain Marvel got a bit confused and ‘accidentally’ found himself in the ladies toilets.

Saw John De Wolf in there once. Female colleagues described him as very attentive, which was a surprise as it immediately followed a Daily Mirror puff piece about his wonderful family!

• No sport this weekend. Be a lot of 'Great Premier League matches from the archives' and war films on the telly I expect.

• I was a teenager/ young man in the 80s, and I too had a massive dislike for Liverpool mainly due to the fact they just kept winning everything !

But now, I also dont dislike them, infact I quite like and admire them. My dislike for Man Utd and Arsenal though I dont think will ever go away !

• @arnos_grove said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

From what I remember, Captain Marvel got a bit confused and ‘accidentally’ found himself in the ladies toilets.

Saw John De Wolf in there once. Female colleagues described him as very attentive, which was a surprise as it immediately followed a Daily Mirror puff piece about his wonderful family!

We all made mistakes at The Orchard

@Malone When have I ever said I don't understand what the point of the FA Cup is? Replays are arguably outdated and there are too many games; neither of those are uncommon viewpoints. I doubt I'm the only non-Liverpool fan who finds the resentment towards them a tad odd either.

The replays used to be one of my favourite bits of the FA Cup. Liverpool seemed to play Everton every few days for weeks on end one season.

@arnos_grove Thanks. My fever hit imagination has filled in the gaps!

• @Wendoverman said:
    See also Leeds in the 1970s...'tis the British football fan's way. Successful teams 'buy the league' or get 'all the luck' and I think we can all understand an Arsenal fan's dismay! :smiley:

Leeds have never been dominant I would suggest. Under Revie they won the League just twice, Cup once, LC once, Fairs Cup twice. Outside of this the only trophy they have won is the League in 92.

• They came 2nd a lot tho!

• @eric_plant said:

Like... going to The Orchard.

• Neil Lennon showing his class again...... he literally has no good qualities about him

• I was gonna mention Heysel @Forest_Blue but thought i might get slated.... good on ya

• @YorkExile said:

@eric_plant said:

Like... going to The Orchard.

That was the main one

• @glasshalffull said:

@drcongo said:

It won't last!! :-)

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@glasshalffull said:

@drcongo said:

It won't last!! :-)

They'll always have this moment.

• edited March 2020

@DevC said:
    Just going back to the title of this thread for a moment.

Prem and champ clubs largely exist on TV and sponsorship money. Lg1 and Lg2 clubs that is a major part but so is gate money.

For the PL and the Champ clubs big questions now is 1) whether their contracts give any opportunity for rights holders to get out of paying 2) whether rights holders in this situation will survive to pay the bill if due.

lets assume for now the contracts are watertight.

The lower league clubs face the very real possibility of going out of business faced with possibly six months of no revenue.

The PL TV contract is worth £3,000m per year. (or £1500m for six months

In these exceptional circumstances divert just 2.5% of that to giving emergency funding to the 48 Lg1 and Lg2 clubs for six months, that would be £0.75m per club for six months - enough to keep most perhaps all the clubs in business.

Probably fantasy but these truly are unprecedented times.

Was an interesting piece on BBC3CR this afternoon on this very topic. The guest speaker, was described as an expert in Premiership funding, quoted an eye watering figure of how much the top tier have in their bank accounts. What he suggested was that the Premiere league could easily stump up enough to the bottom two tiers circa £400K per club, which would see those clubs survive the forthcoming famine. When I say easily, it literally doesn't even cover a couple of days of income. They also already do "donate" a considerable sum which equates to more than the current TV deal, (which is about 60% of lower league income), so let's be careful when slating the crumbs from the banquet table.
    The expert was also not undervaluing the part the Premiere League place on the importance of L1 & L2 after all, it is where they loan out a lot of their youth to develop their players, Ofoborh, Aarons, are two names that spring immediately? Whilst not defending the hierarchy, as I feel that there needs to be a more even spread, it is not all bad either.
    It may yet come to fruition that the cap in hand approach may well find an ear?