Skip to content

Cost to EFL clubs of games being played behind closed doors

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Ireland have advised no indoor gatherings of 100+ people or outdoor gatherings of 500+ people. I'm starting to get worried now.

That is getting very restrictive.
    Pretty much stops you using super markets and going to work.
    Certainly stops public transport for trains and tubes etc.

• How do you define a 'gathering'? What if you have a massive party but everyone is five feet apart at all times?

• Schools closed in Norway from tomorrow...

My tickets over for poxford looking increasingly wasted :(

• We know when they say they will give the NHS 'all it needs' they mean to the end of April...

Thank goodness for the £350m per week that Johnson promised to give to the NHS, that's really going to save us. Wait, what?

• BBC reporting that we'll move into the 'delay' phase but aren't likely to take those restrictive measures.

• Is the Gasroom a gathering?

Interesting how many differing plans are being implemented in each country with social media and talking heads calling them all wrong.

The more restrictive the instructions are the harder they are to enforce with those who disagree. Do nothing and those who want restrictions and are really nervous get more nervous. Glad its not my call.

Should Wycombe be playing in the next month? If you believe its a sport then yes. If you believe in business its no. If you care for the safety of the players its much more difficult.

• You certainly don't want to risk buying any tickets.

I saw someone on the FB page delighted with their Shrewsbury away tickets the other day!

• Honestly no idea what you are talking about there Mr Middle.

If they insist that matches are played behind closed doors, it is nothing to do with whether football is a sport or a business and very little to do with the safety of players. The decision will be made based on an assessment of whether crowds of people sitting/standing next to each other for a couple of hours is a health risk we can afford to take.

• You're assuming not behind closed doors there Dev, if you read his post again without assuming that it makes more sense.

• edited March 2020

If clubs are (perfectly reasonably) going to take precautions over players who might have the virus, is there really any point in carrying on?
  • Until it's our club, then YES!

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Is the Gasroom a gathering?

I'm wearing my facemask

• Seems that despite restrictions...European fans still turned up outside grounds for recent behind doors games!

• Just decide to cancel the 19/20 season and treat all matches as void. The advantages being that Liverpool won't win the title and Leeds won't win the Championship. Plus we never got beaten in any cup!

• Would be a brave government not to put all matches behind closed doors at best now given that pretty much everyone else has/is whatever the scientific advice. That advice is at best informed guesswork. If they continue playing and it turns out badly, could be the end of Johnson.

• Incidentally while not normally one for conspiracy theories, is it just me that with government ministers, football owners, football players , actors and actresses etc all confirming they are positive, i am a little skeptical that the total number of cases in the UK is just 600 or so.

• Euro 2020 set to be postponed until next year

• @DevC that will be the total number of those tested. It definitely walks among us...just some more than others.

• @DevC said:
    Incidentally while not normally one for conspiracy theories, is it just me that with government ministers, football owners, football players , actors and actresses etc all confirming they are positive, i am a little skeptical that the total number of cases in the UK is just 600 or so.

It’s all about access to the test @DevC

Harley St are offering private tests sent aboard for a quick turnaround. If you had the means, it’s a bit of a no-brainer really. Just like if you have the means you can get through Heathrow without encountering another passenger and not have to physically handle any documents yourself.

Incidentally I finally got tested today. I’ll know ‘hopefully sometime next week’. And we’re going to go from 1000 tests a day to 10,000. Hmmm.

• @DevC said:
    Would be a brave government not to put all matches behind closed doors at best now given that pretty much everyone else has/is whatever the scientific advice. That advice is at best informed guesswork. If they continue playing and it turns out badly, could be the end of Johnson.

Why would it be the end for Johnson Dev? He is not an expert on medical matters and has sought and received top scientific advice in response to the virus. It is those that face the chop if the advice proves wrong.

By the way, I would be the first to cheer the demise of blundering Boris!

• Oxford Health prepared and have had people being trained to go out and do tests for a few weeks now. Bucks is the usual shit show.

• @Lloyd2084 How did you get tested in the end? I keep seeing reports of doctors' surgeries telling people not to come in if they have flu like symptoms.

• @mooneyman said:
    Just decide to cancel the 19/20 season and treat all matches as void. The advantages being that Liverpool won't win the title and Leeds won't win the Championship. Plus we never got beaten in any cup!

Both would be excellent.

But for Wycombe it'd be a massive blow.
    Our best players don't have too long left in them, so we need to maximise on it!

• edited March 2020

@mooneyman said:

Why would it be the end for Johnson Dev? He is not an expert on medical matters and has sought and received top scientific advice in response to the virus. It is those that face the chop if the advice proves wrong.

By the way, I would be the first to cheer the demise of blundering Boris!

The buck always stops with the PM. If we keep football grounds open when everyone else is closing theirs and lots of people were seen to have died as a result, he will be under serious pressure (whatever advice he received). I'd be surprised if he took the chance when no risk in closing them now. We'll know in a couple of hours or so.
    by the way no tears from me at johnson's demise were it to happen either.

• They won't risk the legal ramifications I suspect. Could abandon season now and it's all under control by the end of April...

• Just heard they've called a WHO concert off next month...not sure if that's for the protection of the crowd or the OAPS on stage. Rolling Stones must be having a good hard look at their tour schedule!

• @mooneyman You're making a pretty big assumption that the things coming out of Johnson's mouth bear any relation to the things told to him by expert advisors. This party has made its view on experts pretty clear in the past.

Also, there's always a Yes Minister clip to explain exactly what's going on.

• edited March 2020

@Wendoverman said:
    Just heard they've called a WHO concert off next month...not sure if that's for the protection of the crowd or the OAPS on stage. Rolling Stones must be having a good hard look at their tour schedule!

Why on earth were the WHO going on tour when they've got a pandemic to handle?

• I've just received an unsolicited email telling me that eating lots of tinned meat gives immunity to the virus. Maybe this could solve the problem?

oh hang on wait, ignore that. I think it was just spam..........

(coat collected. Going home now)