Skip to content

Cost to EFL clubs of games being played behind closed doors

14567810»

Comments

• I received this from a friend of mine. I’m no medical expert so I have no idea how accurate it is, but worth a read even if it is rather long.

From member of the Stanford hospital board. This is their feedback for now on Corona virus: The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous.
    Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.
    IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS
    1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
    2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
    3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
    4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
    5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
    6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
    7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice. 8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
    9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
    10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!
    THE SYMPTOMS
    1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
    2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
    3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
    4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

• Ok, apologies if it’s nonsense but we’re getting so much conflicting advice at the moment that it’s difficult to know who to believe.

• I get all my advice from @DevC . He just knows.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I get all my advice from @DevC . He just knows.

Boris Johnson, Matt Hancock, Grant Shapps. They all know things. On the Radio this morning for example Dr Hancock said: 'I have assured my 82 year old mother she can carry on walking her dog. Even though she hasn't got one...'

• The WHO pretty much reprimanded us on live World TV and pleaded for ALL measures to be taken now but ALL countries.

TEST TEST TEST and isolate for 14 days after end of symptoms.

It’s time for British exceptionalism to take a step back. We will make ourselves an international pariah just at the time when we are launching ‘Global Britain’.

Screw some abstract mathematical model, we need to do the right thing for ourselves and our neighbours.

• From BBC news:

Here are some key lines:

WHO director Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus repeated one simple message to governments - "test, test, test"
    The WHO has shipped 1.5m tests to 120 countries, he said, but warned the world had not sufficiently escalated testing measures, calling it the "backbone of stopping the spread" of the pandemic
    He advised countries to test every suspected case of coronavirus, and then isolate positive cases. Anyone in contact with patients two days before they showed symptoms should also be tested, he said
    In the absence of hospital facilities for mild cases, patients can be cared for at home but patients should not share a bed or a bathroom with uninfected family members, and they should be cared for by just one family member, ideally someone in good health
    Although those aged over 60 are most at risk, children have also died from Covid-19

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    The WHO pretty much reprimanded us on live World TV and pleaded for ALL measures to be taken now but ALL countries.

TEST TEST TEST and isolate for 14 days after end of symptoms.

It’s time for British exceptionalism to take a step back. We will make ourselves an international pariah just at the time when we are launching ‘Global Britain’.

Screw some abstract mathematical model, we need to do the right thing for ourselves and our neighbours.

But Dev assured me that Boris's experts were right and the rest of the world are wrong!

Thanks for your contribution to this thread it has been more useful to me than all the "experts" put together. Hope you and your family get back to full fitness ASAP.

• Wisely or not (healthwise rather than tastewise!) my wife and I attended the Rumours of Fleetwood Mac concert at the Swan last Wednesday. The stalls and circle were full (rather to my surprise) so there is a relatively remote chance, I suppose, that either or both of us could have picked up the virus.

My understanding is that incubation can be anything from 2 to 14 days before symptoms appear. If that is correct, then surely anyone who has been in contact with a patient up to a fortnight before they showed symptoms (rather than the two days suggested by Dr Ghebreyesus) should, ideally, be tested. Apart from fleeting forays to the supermarket and maintaining strict social distance, we are already self-isolating in any case but we won’t feel totally relaxed until early next week. Younger friends and neighbours have very kindly offered to do shopping for us if necessary.

Separate beds are not a problem (!) but I’m not sure how we’d cope with only one bathroom if one or the other of us got it.

What you and your family have been through @Lloyd2084 brought home very forcibly just how severe and frightening the symptoms can be and it is good to hear that you are all now recovering.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Boris Johnson, Matt Hancock, Grant Shapps. They all know things. On the Radio this morning for example Dr Hancock said: 'I have assured my 82 year old mother she can carry on walking her dog. Even though she hasn't got one...'

Played cricket a number of times a few years ago against Matt Hancock when he played for the Bank of England Sunday XI (for which bank he used to work). Like the rest of his team, a good, ordinary bloke.

• I guess it was just an honest mistake when he released government health advice on coronavirus as an article on the Telegraph behind a paywall.

• Grant Shapps doesn’t even know what his own name is.

• edited March 2020

@drcongo said:
    I guess it was just an honest mistake when he released government health advice on coronavirus as an article on the Telegraph behind a paywall.

Oh no. That was definitely a deliberate and cynical attempt to prevent access to important information from non-subscribers. Definitely. That is the only possible construction.

• Can you think of a better explanation for getting paid to write an article in a tory newspaper and then using that as a way to release extremely important, official government information instead of releasing it through established channels, or to all newspapers and press, or literally any other way?

If I was completely paranoid I might even go so far as to suggest that this route was a good way of making sure only those who could afford to pay would receive official government advice on how to stay alive.

I'm not quite that paranoid yet though, and will happily put this down to absolutely spectacular incompetence, which does line up better with pretty much everything else he's done as a minister.

• @drcongo said:

I'm not quite that paranoid yet though, and will happily put this down to absolutely spectacular incompetence, which does line up better with pretty much everything else he's done as a minister.

Are you Josh?

• Imagine what stuff people are going to be coming out with when there's been months of no football.

• @drcongo said:
    Can you think of a better explanation for getting paid to write an article in a tory newspaper and then using that as a way to release extremely important, official government information instead of releasing it through established channels, or to all newspapers and press, or literally any other way?

If I was completely paranoid I might even go so far as to suggest that this route was a good way of making sure only those who could afford to pay would receive official government advice on how to stay alive.

I would not suggest paranoia but there seems to be a certain amount of confirmation bias.

• @HCblue said:

@Wendoverman said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Played cricket a number of times a few years ago against Matt Hancock when he played for the Bank of England Sunday XI (for which bank he used to work). Like the rest of his team, a good, ordinary bloke.

I know a lot of people who have to interview ministers. Some of them are quite knowledgeable about the subject they are interviewing said minister about. Sometimes interviewers are shocked at the complete lack of understanding or basic knowledge of some of the people they interview about the job they are supposed to be doing.

• Unless these interviewers acquire their knowledge by osmosis, it surely comes as no surprise that the ministers who previously had little to no experience of the subject are ignorant of the details of what they do. Is that not why they have advisers? Or do we think that leaders of any stripe will have an intimate understanding of everything that falls before them?

• @HCblue said:
    Unless these interviewers acquire their knowledge by osmosis, it surely comes as no surprise that the ministers who previously had little to no experience of the subject are ignorant of the details of what they do. Is that not why they have advisers? Or do we think that leaders of any stripe will have an intimate understanding of everything that falls before them?

You're right of course a thoroughly decent bloke or woman, however dull, being put in a job they have no real interest in or understanding of (even at the very top!) isn't a problem because they have expert advisers that are above and beyond politics and do the best for the country and that's mainly why things never go wrong.

• @Wendoverman said:

@HCblue said:
    Unless these interviewers acquire their knowledge by osmosis, it surely comes as no surprise that the ministers who previously had little to no experience of the subject are ignorant of the details of what they do. Is that not why they have advisers? Or do we think that leaders of any stripe will have an intimate understanding of everything that falls before them?

You're right of course a thoroughly decent bloke or woman, however dull, being put in a job they have no real interest in or understanding of (even at the very top!) isn't a problem because they have expert advisers that are above and beyond politics and do the best for the country and that's mainly why things never go wrong.

Why assume a lack of interest? And do you suppose that most countries in the world have politicians administering departments about whose area they have significant expertise?

Yes - I do think that people in those leadership positions rely almost completely on advice to help decide how to proceed in matters like this. And why would they not?

• You're right

• I’ve found that “complete lack of understanding or basic knowledge of.. the job” seems to be a given the higher up the greasy pole people get in all sorts of fields.

It’s all about how they act around people, talk to people and a veneer of confidence (and often the ability to shake hands funny - though less so these days).

Doesn’t mean that they aren’t the right person to be in that position, but does reflect more that the positions at the top of tree are for those types (which is what our wonderful public school system trains them into) of people.*

Am I too late to throw my hat in the ring for the Labour leader’s role?

*My brain is hurting today so apologies for the totally lazy stereotyping in there

• @bookertease don't worry. Give it six months there will be another leadership election! :smile: