Skip to content

Cost to EFL clubs of games being played behind closed doors

Comments

• @DevC said:
    Would be a brave government not to put all matches behind closed doors at best now given that pretty much everyone else has/is whatever the scientific advice. That advice is at best informed guesswork. If they continue playing and it turns out badly, could be the end of Johnson.

Not sure if completing the Cheltenham Festival and then postponing Burton vs Wycombe is going to help much.
    When I was young, parents used to have measles parties to get kids infected. Thinking outside the box for a minute would actually increasing the infection rate amongst the low risk and leaving them all isolated in sports stadiums watching live matches bring the virus spread to a sharp point and stop the social and economic impact of a long slow wait to get it further down the line?

Does Roger Johnson still play and is he more at risk from continued playing?

• Things have started to move very quickly in the states. NBA and MLS have suspended their season, NHL expected to follow. In the last half hour every major college athletic conference (with one exception) has cancelled their post-season tournament, actually pulling players off the court in a couple of instances.

If Saturday's game goes ahead as normal i expect it to be the last for a while.

• USA has only 4.2 cases per million population, less than half that of the UK.

• @drcongo said:
    @Lloyd2084 How did you get tested in the end? I keep seeing reports of doctors' surgeries telling people not to come in if they have flu like symptoms.

I’m afraid it took one of my family being taken into Wexham Park under blue lights in the early and a link between us and a confirmed case. The ambulance crew (in full ventilated suits) said that procedures had changed this morning on testing otherwise we wouldn’t have got that far.

Thankfully my family member is home now and resting in a stable condition.

• @drcongo said:
    USA has only 4.2 cases per million population, less than half that of the UK.

But haven't the US been very short on testing kits and many are assumed to have the virus but not yet tested.

The US do seem to have acted almost totally today in a hail of moves. I prefer our more deliberate approach but can see why some don't.

• Trump as usual making nonsensical decisions...ban on EU travel but only from them pesky forrin speaking countries (who the US is blaming for the virus now !!! ) and not the UK and Ireland!

• Johnson talking now. Game on it appears. Surprising and brave decision. Honestly didnt think he had it in him.

• @DevC said:
    Johnson talking now. Game on it appears. Surprising and brave decision. Honestly didnt think he had it in him.

Not watching but did he really announce Wycombes game was on to the nation. Good work.

• Surely closing down lucrative football matches and race meetings would have been surprising and brave? I think they are taking a calculated risk to try and avoid too much disruption myself. Having said that I'm glad matches will go ahead, whilst having my fingers crossed for everyone at risk to avoid infection.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@drcongo said:
    USA has only 4.2 cases per million population, less than half that of the UK.

But haven't the US been very short on testing kits and many are assumed to have the virus but not yet tested.

The US do seem to have acted almost totally today in a hail of moves. I prefer our more deliberate approach but can see why some don't.

Yes, absolutely. I wasn't trying to make a case for them being only lightly hit even though that's pretty much what I wrote, I was more thinking that we're doing vastly less than the US even though we have double the confirmed cases per population. But also, yeah, the figures at the moment are really only measuring how many people are tested.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Surely closing down lucrative football matches and race meetings would have been surprising and brave? I think they are taking a calculated risk to try and avoid too much disruption myself. Having said that I'm glad matches will go ahead, whilst having my fingers crossed for everyone at risk to avoid infection.

Spot on

• JJohnson said that best estimate is that around 10,000 people are infected despite only 600 having been identified.

• "I must level with you, level with the British public, more families, many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time."

But no need to panic or cancel the racing...

• @DevC said:
    JJohnson said that best estimate is that around 10,000 people are infected despite only 600 having been identified.

Whilst his remarkable Snooker World Championship win was impressive, how would Joe Johnson know?

• We do seem to be taking more of a calculated risk than a lot of other countries. Will be interesting (probably not the best word) to see if it ultimately does lead to higher population infection levels (and ultimately deaths) over time than the more extreme reactions elsewhere.

It does however at the moment feel about right to me, but it’s looking like a long haul. I really can’t see that the season will actually be completed. The Burton match on Saturday could very well be a very useful one to get a result in.

• @Wendoverman said:
    "I must level with you, level with the British public, more families, many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time."

But no need to panic or cancel the racing...

Spot on again....

• I would prefer the Government not to panic and to follow the medical advice tbh. They laid out their rationale very clearly and very compellingly I thought. Whether that can hold in light of other countries actions remains to be seen. Frankly the issues re the football season pale into insignificance when you think about what the Government were saying today.

They think we are four weeks behind Italy.
    They think the infections and death rate curve will be very steep.
    The UK peak is expected to be around three months away
    That suggests that we believe the italian peak is around two months away and at the moment the effects are mild compared to what is to come there.
    yesterday alone 200 people died in Italy from this virus.

if their predictions come true, this is seriously scary. Whether WW start the next football season whenever that will be in the Champ or in Lg1 perhaps not overly important.

• Certainly very worrying times ahead away from football

• Just as the Premier League announce that this weekend's games are going ahead as normal...

• Incidentally going back to football, arsenal manager Arteta has just tested positive.

• Norwich, Aston Villa and Bournemouth in particular....

• I was thinking Everton and Man United...

• Voiding the whole season is surely out of the question, but it’s time to announce a suspension.

• edited March 2020

@floyd said:
    Voiding the whole season is surely out of the question, but it’s time to announce a suspension.

You'd like to think so, but the Italian football federation have already said Serie A might not finish - and who knows if we're going to end up with an Italy-like situation. I'd be genuinely upset if the League One season were voided, though.

• @floyd said:
    Voiding the whole season is surely out of the question, but it’s time to announce a suspension.

If you suspend it - I make no judgement about whether that would be the right decision - there's no certainty it would resume. If it did not, how would you decide on promotion and relegation or would it seem right, as seems might be the suggestion, that the season be voided?

• edited March 2020

@HCblue said:

@floyd said:

If you suspend it - I make no judgement about whether that would be the right decision - there's no certainty it would resume. If it did not, how would you decide on promotion and relegation or would it seem right, as seems might be the suggestion, that the season be voided?

As mentioned earlier, although a bit tongue in cheek, a normalised table based on points per game seems to be fairest method. Perhaps needs a factor of positions of teams played to make it fairer though. Simple system works in our favour today but who knows at the point the suspension is decided upon

• Utterly bizarre that our season began with doubts over the first home game (Bolton), and now has doubts over completion for a completely unrelated reason.