Skip to content

Cost to EFL clubs of games being played behind closed doors

Comments

• We have our first casualty in the domestic game with the Man City v Arsenal game being postponed tonight due to a number of Arsenal players and staff coming in to direct contact with a carrier, namely the Olympiakos owner.

• @micra ... I also read yesterday that new cases are starting to fall in asia

• Should of added 'the number of'

• edited March 2020

@micra I think it may be misleading to think of the peak in the UK being reached within the next fortnight, as it was also mentioned that this ‘peak period’, estimated to be reached in the next 10-14 days, could last for around 12 weeks*. Phraseology can sometimes be confusing, as you might logically expect new cases to reduce once the peak was reached. Think of the new cases graph as maybe looking more like Table Mountain than The Matterhorn.

(*this is based on what they said on ITV News last night)

• Mrs W is a health professonal and believes as do many of them damn experts that we have dealt with it very well so far. An italian doctor said last night that the appearance of the virus there was like a bomb completely unexpected and they had no time to react. We have the advantage of having the experience of China and Italy to draw on. I think lifestyles are different here. China has poor health, air pollution and a lot of poor people living on top of each other in dodgy conditions (as well as eating some weird stuff) Italy has an aging population and again often living in extended families. Not exact science but our miserable self contained society might save our football attendance!!??

• edited March 2020

The "prime minister"'s plan is apparently that we should take it on the chin and let it spread through the population willy nilly. Presumably as the party thinks it hasn't already killed enough elderly, poor and vulnerable people through austerity and they need to balance the budget.

• Man of the People...on the bright side he's good at jokes.

• @drcongo said:
    The "prime minister"'s plan is apparently that we should take it on the chin and let it spread through the population willy nilly. Presumably as the party thinks it hasn't already killed enough elderly, poor and vulnerable people through austerity and they need to balance the budget.

The trouble for Johnson is that it disproportionally affects the older population which are their core voters.

I must say his reassuring press conferences are anything but. Although my psychology knowledge is limited to a minor degree course, I’ve been studying human ‘tells’ for decades and his demeanour and eye movements betray his words.

Clearly this is an issue that transcends party politics so I’m not looking to have a dig, just an observation.

• I suspect that unless you can get your wide-ranging plan of action on one side of A4 and get it delivered by a 20 something blonde woman you have little chance of engaging our Glorious Leader's attention at all.
    Anyone else think that for someone who claims to be so educated, beyond making scripted quips, when pressed he seems unable to communicate coherently? (Which explains why you can't get him on anything except breakfast telly...)

• edited March 2020

Clearly this transcends party politics only for some people @Lloyd2084.

• @floyd said:
    Clearly this transcends party politics only for some people @Lloyd2084.

Some of us are weak and undisciplined @floyd

• @drcongo said:

Out of interest, if someone posted such provocative words about a Labour prime minister, what would your response be?

• Probably the same as yours to his post @glasshalffull :smile:

• edited March 2020

@glasshalffull said:

@drcongo said:

Out of interest, if someone posted such provocative words about a Labour prime minister, what would your response be?

Saw a lot of these sort of strong opinions over social media, yet the Tories cruised back into power.

• Won't a lot of Atlético fans be travelling to Liverpool today - from Madrid, a city with almost 800 cases so far.

• If a Labour prime minister was this incompetent over something that could kill tens of thousands I'd say the same thing about them myself @glasshalffull. Not everything is about blind loyalty you know.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Won't a lot of Atlético fans be travelling to Liverpool today - from Madrid, a city with almost 800 cases so far.

It's all getting a bit uncomfortable isn't it.
    Italy going into total lockdown, Austria playing their Europa tie v Man Utd behind closed doors, yet others just cracking on and hoping for the best.

• Taking it on the chin.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Won't a lot of Atlético fans be travelling to Liverpool today - from Madrid, a city with almost 800 cases so far.

Italy going into total lockdown, Austria playing their Europa tie v Man Utd behind closed doors, yet others just cracking on and hoping for the best.

How did the Austria national team qualify for a club competition?

• Well that certainly backfired. My carefully chosen words have unleashed a wave of cognitive dissonance!

• As I've said above I'm not sure our response has been/or is bad - so far - but I fear that is due to them pesky 'experts' and 'professionals' and established NHS action plans activated in local areas rather than any sort of coherent government response. Poor old Johnners has had his complicated divorce to finalise just in time for his partner to announce she's starting his new and improved family and their plans to get hitched. All these bally floods and diseases have come at a very inconvenient time for the great man.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

How did the Austria national team qualify for a club competition?

You knew what i meant cheeky

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Well that certainly backfired. My carefully chosen words have unleashed a wave of cognitive dissonance!

Just because you were born in the future, doesn't mean you have to go all wordy

• @Malone said:

@Lloyd2084 said:
    Well that certainly backfired. My carefully chosen words have unleashed a wave of cognitive dissonance!

I had that cognitive dissonance once. Never again.

• @Malone said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

It was a tribute to our esteemed contributor @HCblue for invoking the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Or was it Freddie Kruger? The mind plays tricks.

• edited March 2020

opps...posted on wrong thread. Move on. Nothing to see here.

• Is the Dunning-Kruger Effect football's equivalent of the Duckworth-Lewis Method in case the season has to be stopped due to coronavirus?

• Governments can only do so much. I am no fan of Johnson generally but frankly dont see anything to criticise him or praise him so far re the virus thing.

• You haven't lived till you and one of your mates have an effect named after you.

• Of course your views on the government's approach to healthcare over the last decade or so will shade your opinion on how able we are likely to be at coping with this, the most senior politician spouting a load of rubbish and having to walk it back and apologize won't help regardless of its regularity and seeming popularity here and in the states.
    I can't see all sport going unless or until all theatre, all shopping, schooling and other things do as well. Surprising really that most shops and public places still seem to be using touchscreens and don't have the hand sanitizer stuff out, maybe it's all been horded.